AVS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone done a sealed setup for these woofers? How are these with sealed? Specs on these are 2.73 cubic feet for sealed. All the searching/threads I've came across are all ported. Finally decided on 4 18" PA-460 sealed, right behind the main listening position with 2 UM18's in full martys for the low end up front. Mounting depth for these are 7.8" and the best I can do is 10" for the enclosure. Will that affect it?

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
So should all subs share a single air space or should each sub have their own air space? How would I wire all 8 subs for a Behringer nx6000dsp? I'm just afraid the subs are going to be too close to my ears for comfort and deep male vocal voices will probably seep through from these subs. Thoughts?

·
Registered
132 Posts
I slapped 4 of them in a 20" X 24" cube and placed it 1' from the back of my head. Crossed over at 120 music sound's fantastic. They probably could use a bigger box they get the job done. "Also I have real subs doing the heavy lifting in movies these were just added for midbass experiment"

·
Registered
11,858 Posts
Has anyone done a sealed setup for these woofers? How are these with sealed? All the searching/threads I've came across are all ported.
So should all subs share a single air space or should each sub have their own air space? How would I wire all 8 subs for a Behringer nx6000dsp? I'm just afraid the subs are going to be too close to my ears for comfort and deep male vocal voices will probably seep through from these subs. Thoughts?
Series-Parallel dual 8-ohm.

In my case, Series-Parallel dual 4-ohm.

Mine are sealed.

Yellow is RAW, Blue is EQ'ed

98db/w/m x 16 = THX Ultra2 @ 4 watts rms @ 2m or 148db @ 8000watts rms @ 1m :p

But you can always turn it down, it called a volume knob. ;)

But turning it up a "little bit" can be fun too... :D

Attachments

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
[MENTION=7474194]@bassthathz I was hoping you'd chime in. Thanks! That helped a ton!

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11,858 Posts
I think I did 20x20x80 if I recall.
The optimal box is quite a bit bigger if porting...

Red is 15hz 400cuft ported (6ftx6ftx6ft) [email protected]@2kW
Green is 20hz 170cuft ported [email protected]@2kW
Yellow is 40hz 100cuft ported [email protected]@6.7kW
Blue is 16cuft x2 sealed (8kW)

As you can see, the PA-460 does not like small boxes (when aiming for max-spl...)

I love how winISD shows the units as ft^3 instead of cuft, which is not the same thing.
ft^3 being wrong ;)
2ft^3 = 8cuft, clearly they are using the wrong metric.

400ftx400ftx400ft i.e. 400ft^3 would literally be larger than a boeing facility. Silly winISD! :D

I went sealed because it is max-spl in min-box.
Ported is 6-8db quieter up top because it can't put max watts into the cone without frapping the drivers and bottoming out...
Sealed is louder from 10-17hz down, and pretty damn close to optimal-ported down to ~50hz.

Since the 460's don't like small boxes when porting, porting it in anything smaller than 50cuft basically causes you to actually lose db's vs sealed (especially when you factor in maximum-cones per box unit-volume... ;))

As a result, even 4 VBSS boxes tuned to literally any frequency you want, is still a good 8-16db quieter than what I built, and both have comparable size and footprint. LOL! ;)

:p :p :p

Here's another example:
16x sealed UM-18's. vs 8x ported UM-18's 15hz 10cuft. 1kW per cone in both cases.

Sealed is louder (and does it in a smaller box too!) It just costs more, that's all...
Ported is great if you are trying to SAVE money. But that's where the comparison ends! ;)

If you have infinite money and can put holes in your walls: 32 FI IB18's would be a great way to "get loud" with "min power" and "zero foot print".

and Sealed 24's if you can't put holes in walls...

Sealed PA-460's is the mid-bass efficiency el-cheapo version of that...

My original plan back in 2007 was to go with an infinite number of LMS-18's :D, but then they went bankrupt :(
and then the 24's came out. :)

"Ideally" my now-current goals with what I have is: throwing my 21's in the garbage and getting more 24's,
and converting the LMS-18's into HzHorn's...

My HzHorn's are a "compromise" of 130hz, for more 12-30hz...
The LMS-18's are made of unicorn hairs now and don't like to be bottomed, they have too much motor-force for their own good, they have low inductance and so they are best at being horns-only IMO.

The 24's can take a fair bit more punishment and have more xmech, and so are better suited for

Attachments

·
Registered
154 Posts
I think I did 20x20x80 if I recall.
The optimal box is quite a bit bigger if porting...

Red is 15hz 400cuft ported (6ftx6ftx6ft) [email protected]@2kW
Green is 20hz 170cuft ported [email protected]@2kW
Yellow is 40hz 100cuft ported [email protected]@6.7kW
Blue is 16cuft x2 sealed (8kW)

As you can see, the PA-460 does not like small boxes (when aiming for max-spl...)

I love how winISD shows the units as ft^3 instead of cuft, which is not the same thing.
ft^3 being wrong ;)
2ft^3 = 8cuft, clearly they are using the wrong metric.

400ftx400ftx400ft i.e. 400ft^3 would literally be larger than a boeing facility. Silly winISD! :D

I went sealed because it is max-spl in min-box.
Ported is 6-8db quieter up top because it can't put max watts into the cone without frapping the drivers and bottoming out...
Sealed is louder from 10-17hz down, and pretty damn close to optimal-ported down to ~50hz.

Since the 460's don't like small boxes when porting, porting it in anything smaller than 50cuft basically causes you to actually lose db's vs sealed (especially when you factor in maximum-cones per box unit-volume... ;))

As a result, even 4 VBSS boxes tuned to literally any frequency you want, is still a good 8-16db quieter than what I built, and both have comparable size and footprint. LOL! ;)

:p :p :p

Here's another example:
16x sealed UM-18's. vs 8x ported UM-18's 15hz 10cuft. 1kW per cone in both cases.

Sealed is louder (and does it in a smaller box too!) It just costs more, that's all...
Ported is great if you are trying to SAVE money. But that's where the comparison ends! ;)

If you have infinite money and can put holes in your walls: 32 FI IB18's would be a great way to "get loud" with "min power" and "zero foot print".

and Sealed 24's if you can't put holes in walls...

Sealed PA-460's is the mid-bass efficiency el-cheapo version of that...

My original plan back in 2007 was to go with an infinite number of LMS-18's :D, but then they went bankrupt :(
and then the 24's came out. :)

"Ideally" my now-current goals with what I have is: throwing my 21's in the garbage and getting more 24's,
and converting the LMS-18's into HzHorn's...

My HzHorn's are a "compromise" of 130hz, for more 12-30hz...
The LMS-18's are made of unicorn hairs now and don't like to be bottomed, they have too much motor-force for their own good, they have low inductance and so they are best at being horns-only IMO.

The 24's can take a fair bit more punishment and have more xmech, and so are better suited for
I know that this thread is super old, but basically you're saying that these sealed PA460-8's have better output across the board (and deeper extension) than they would ported? Please confirm, because if this is the case, it may completely change my current build that is about to get underway. @BassThatHz

·
Registered
9 Posts
This is interesting.. BassThatHz, have you noticed shortcomings to the 460’s? I’m considering 4 dual opposed sealed x 2 (for placement issues). Would there be a benefit to all 8 in a single box?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts