1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Win 7 media server, Apple TV2, UVerse TV, X360

Vizio Soundbar and Phillips 50"

currently i have this

`media server - DVI to HDMI to TV video and headphone jack to dual RCA to soundbar for sound

`X360 - RGB to TV video and red/white RCA to TV for sound

`AppleTV2 - hdmi to hdmi TV video (swapping UVerse optical audio when i use device)

`UVerse for cable TV - HDMI to TV and optical audio to soundbar for audio

you can see the obvious problems.. nothing works properly. i want all sound coming out of the soundbar and not have to move audio cables around to use different device. please help!

on the back of the TV, there is a digital audio rca connector port (female). i tried using a splitter from that to soundbar and got no sound. doubt i did something wrong, tried everything but maybe i did? it is just not enjoyable currently and the wife is at home with a 1 year old and wants to watch netflix via AppleTV 2 but has no sound.

im sure you guys are laughing but i am about to loose it over here. please help me out. what do i need to do?

·
Registered
527 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tha5150 /forum/post/20893845

im sure there is a cheaper solution

You don't have to spend a lot of money on a receiver and it's absolutely the best way to go. You can get a lower end Denon or Onkyo, for example, for the 300-400 dollar range (or even less) that will provide everything you need.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
You could try monoprice.com and see if there is an HDMI switch that will work for you. But including a headphone jack and also RCA I do not know.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
That digital coaxial out on your TV is only for passing audio from a coax source connected to the TV and it will not pass the audio from other sources on your TV. It is for the purpose of passing 5.1 audio to a Receiver from OTA content, though it will pass 2.0 audio from analog cable if connected by coax.

Since you're currently used to a sound bar, you could get a home theater in a box for around $300-400 and it will sound better. Obviously getting an entry level Onkyo or Denon with decent speakers would sound better, but cost twice as much. If you do go HTIB, make sure it has enough inputs for what you need.

·
Registered
527 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin /forum/post/20894613

For $240 you could use something like this as a pre-amp and send audio out to your soundbar.

No idea if that would work. Just a suggestion.

BTW - I don't like soundbars for this very reason.

Funny you say that
I'm using an old Toshiba DD/DTS preamp/decoder in my master bedroom setup atm
Outputing to a Klipsch 2.1 ipod system.

However, the yamaha you linked to doesn't have pre-out (that's usually limited to the more expensive units I believe, such as the A100 I'm using) so you would have to use speaker level out. It will have record out (rec out) but this is limited to the rec out source currently selected (won't change when changing the currently playing source).

If the soundbar has it's own amp then you likely can't use it with an receiver via speaker outputs.

All that said, the yamaha is a good example of what I was talking about in my previous post about the fact that you can get some good quality AV receivers now for fairly low prices.

Tha5150, what is the model of your 50" tv? it's possible it could act as a pre-amp to the soundbar if it does actually have pre-out and multiple inputs. You may just need to setup the tv audio properly (ie turning on external outputs and/or turning off the tv speakers).

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i will let you guys know soon what model it is.

found a somewhat solution that may work while also making things easier. picked up a Harmony 550 remote, optical audio cable and slitter. the remote would turn everything off i am not using at the moment while keeping the same audio on the sound bar.

make sense? once i get the remote i will need to find the model of the tv to program and i will let you guys know what i have.

thanks for the help so far!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.