AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,786 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yin
Hi,

does anyone here own the Klipsch THX ultra 2 system 7.2 und upgraded it to 7.4? Is it worth doing?
Why not pair up each KL-650 up front with their own KA-120............set the electronic x-over higher on the KL-650/KA-120 (120+ htz) which will really open up the front stage........then add 2 more KA-120's for dedicated LFE duty.

Sorta like creating 3-way monitors up front with two subs dedicated for LFE. Five is better than four.......

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
What are you wanting to achieve? Yes 4 subs is better than 2 and you should be able to get a smoother in room response with 4 subs spread out. Do you have the ability to measure in room response? If not I would look into this first. They are good subs but not that great for the price. If wanting more bass and deeper bass maybe sell those and pick up two submersives.

·
Registered
5,786 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Kamp /forum/post/20847059

What are you wanting to achieve? Yes 4 subs is better than 2 and you should be able to get a smoother in room response with 4 subs spread out. Do you have the ability to measure in room response? If not I would look into this first. They are good subs but not that great for the price. If wanting more bass and deeper bass maybe sell those and pick up two submersives.

Agree............but why Submersives when you can go right to the top of the food chain for almost the same price.........ie. two custom built TC Sounds LMS 5400 Ultras with Yamaha 7600 amps?

·
Registered
1,534 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublewing11 /forum/post/20847251

Agree............but why Submersives when you can go right to the top of the food chain for almost the same price.........ie. two custom built TC Sounds LMS 5400 Ultras with Yamaha 7600 amps?

Sounds good to me!

·
Banned
38 Posts
My subwoofer(s) are two 15" in a bandpass box originally intended for automotive use. It runs off a Hafler amp of about 250wpc(which once you get to 4ohm...or lower, about 500wpc-ish).

With "correction" I have a smooth response from 24hz up to 60hz. The sub the way it is trails off about 65hz. The other speakers in the room(4 Altec VOT that started out life as Valencia...now they are DIY mutts) help out starting at 40hz.

I've tryed to demo submersives to see if they match my homemade bandpass.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trumbull247 /forum/post/20847333

My subwoofer(s) are two 15" in a bandpass box originally intended for automotive use. It runs off a Hafler amp of about 250wpc(which once you get to 4ohm...or lower, about 500wpc-ish).

With "correction" I have a smooth response from 24hz up to 60hz. The sub the way it is trails off about 65hz. The other speakers in the room(4 Altec VOT that started out life as Valencia...now they are DIY mutts) help out starting at 40hz.

I've tryed to demo submersives to see if they match my homemade bandpass.

Counsil has 5 submersives in a large difficult space. I think he is flat to 8hz, but those lms drivers are awesome and if you can diy may be the best bet.

·
Banned
38 Posts
I don't even remember the drivers in the bandpass. That thing was made circa 1994 (could be MB Quart) that was in the rear of the cab in an extended cab F150. The truck was crashed and the sub went in the house(it wouldn't fit in anything and I got the bright idea when I caught the Hafler at a pawn shop).

I'd have to disassemble the sub to see what they are.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
"If wanting more bass and deeper bass maybe sell those and pick up two submersives."

unfortunately submersive in not available in Europe,so it is not an alternative.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.