AVS Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently own a pair of 4 ohm KEF c25 speakers. I am looking at new receivers and am finding that most recommend speakers with 6-8 ohm impedance. What are (if any) the benefits to having lower or higher impedance in a speaker?

Are there inexpensive ($300-$500) AV receivers that are designed to work with lower impedance speakers or should I upgrade the speakers when getting the new receiver.

Any specific recommendations of receivers and/or speakers would be appreciated.

thanks

·
Premium Member
5,900 Posts
C25s aren't a difficult load, and most receivers should handle them just fine. But, they're from an era when receivers actually could deliver current, and most good speakers were 4 ohms nominal impedance.

If you're concerned, I'd look at the basic Nad receiver. I'm currently driving a $9,000 4 ohm Triad system in my office off an Nad T743 receiver with excellent results. Denon, Onkyo, or Yamaha should work, too.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Adding a subwoofer may also ease the load on the receiver, depending on what you listen on, and assuming that you set all your speakers to "small. My speakers (Canton Ergo, low impedance that varies between 4 and 8 ohm) is driven by an Onkyo TX-SR674E, and adding a subwoofer helped. Note that the Cantons are not particulary efficient either...

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
For 4 ohm rated speakers, I recommend NAD and harman kardon.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the responses...I'm still a little confused.

I currently have a Denon AVR 587 (have a week or so left to return it if I want)...it is working with the speakers but not particularly well. I checked out the HK AVR 245 and it appears to be 'rated' for 8 ohms. The NAD's seemed to be considerably more expensive and the low end lacked features I wanted.

Would I be better off sticking with the Denon or getting the HK and upgrading my speakers or are there other receivers I should consider (specific models would be extremely helpful)

thanks again

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
also, did check out Marantz and seem to be 8 ohms as well and push my budget for features I want.

What are the benefits (for potential future use) of having pre-outs? Meaning what might I use this for?

·
Registered
2,784 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenD /forum/post/0

I currently own a pair of 4 ohm KEF c25 speakers. I am looking at new receivers and am finding that most recommend speakers with 6-8 ohm impedance. What are (if any) the benefits to having lower or higher impedance in a speaker?

Are there inexpensive ($300-$500) AV receivers that are designed to work with lower impedance speakers or should I upgrade the speakers when getting the new receiver.

Any specific recommendations of receivers and/or speakers would be appreciated.

thanks

You will get the most out of a 4 ohm speaker using an amp instead of a receiver.

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
As I recall, my older hk avr-325 wasn't rated for 4 ohms in the manual (I'd have to check), but it was generally known as high-current and had been tested in a mag to 4 ohms or less with very good results.

A friend had trouble driving his 4-Ohms speaker with his Onkyo receiver and I brought over both my receiver and an external amp. The dynamic range opened up and both the hk and the external amp sounded great in comparison to the Onkyo. He purchased a NAD which also sounded great, but he's been having reliability issues with it related to firmware.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Amp instead of a receiver? I don't understand...wouldn't you need both?

Obviously I'm working at an entry level here. Could someone explain in laymans terms the use/benefits of an amplifier with (or without?) a receiver? My understanding is that it essentially just boosts the power. Does it do more? Also, where I might look to see amps that I might want to use (I think I'm getting far ahead of my needs but I'd like to learn a bit more) now or in the future. What kind of cost are we talking?

Thanks again for all the responses.

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
You could get an inexpensive receiver that has pre-outs (Pioneer are likely the cheapest that have them), and an external amp very capable to drive a 4-Ohm load. Look to pro amps for affordability (e.g. Crown).

But think you'd do fine with an hk receiver as well. Pick one with pre-outs just in case you want to upgrade to an external amp.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenD /forum/post/0

Amp instead of a receiver? I don't understand...wouldn't you need both?

Obviously I'm working at an entry level here. Could someone explain in laymans terms the use/benefits of an amplifier with (or without?) a receiver? My understanding is that it essentially just boosts the power. Does it do more? Also, where I might look to see amps that I might want to use (I think I'm getting far ahead of my needs but I'd like to learn a bit more) now or in the future. What kind of cost are we talking?

Thanks again for all the responses.

Sorry I worded it confusing to you.

You can use your receiver, but connect a extermal amp to power the speakers. Don't use the receivers amps.

www.outlawaudio.com

2200 mono block amps

·
Registered
We just moved, it's in shambles!
582 Posts
I'd agree with H/K or Denon if you want to be able to keep your budget down a bit, but NAD would be a "better" choice IMO soundwise. NADs can handle lower impedance speakers with no issues.

Just make sure you expect whatever you get to feel a bit warmer when providing that extra current.

·
Registered
RX-681 > Wharf Evo "5" MShort "1"
331 Posts
Most amps just list their 8ohm rating but if you dig deeper you'll find 4ohm ratings. The HK line is rated for 4ohm. Take a look at their closeouts/refurbs for good deals too, I paid 50% for the 635 I have.

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
Contact Marantz. I read a while back that someone did and was told that all their receivers are 4 Ohm stable (I'll try and find the post).

I likely wouldn't buy a receiver without pre-outs, it allows for amplifier upgrades.

·
Registered
We just moved, it's in shambles!
582 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericgl /forum/post/0

Contact Marantz. I read a while back that someone did and was told that all their receivers are 4 Ohm stable (I'll try and find the post).

I likely wouldn't buy a receiver without pre-outs, it allows for amplifier upgrades.

I haven't been that impressed with a recent Marantz stereo receiver when it was driving a 4 ohm load... but perhaps it was a lower end model. Unfortunately I don't know what it was.

·
Registered
3,110 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by emorphien /forum/post/0

I haven't been that impressed with a recent Marantz stereo receiver when it was driving a 4 ohm load... but perhaps it was a lower end model. Unfortunately I don't know what it was.

You may be right, unfortunately things change. My old SR5000 did fine driving my 4 Ohm speakers.

Some speakers will require external amplification for best results no matter the receiver, which is why I like pre-outs.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.