AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 305 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious as to how the 4 Pi compareto DIY Sound Group's Fusion Sentinel 15".

has anyone heard both?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla83  /t/1469042/4-pi-vs-diy-sound-groups-fusion-sentinel-15/0_60#post_23223869

Where are you in PA? I have a sentinel front stage you could check out.

I'm in Pottstown...I'd love to hear them before building a set!

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies guys...I've checked out the links.

Their performance seem close...so the Sentinels looks like the better value. Included baffle and available flat pack helps also!

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
MTG90 did a great job on the Sentinels. The reason for the lower cost is because all those speakers are priced at break even costs because they are DIY community driven designs, not 'for profit' designs. But they lack nothing.

By the way, the B&C looks really good with the gloss finish waveguide.

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
"Ash R", the Sentinel was designed by MTG90, not Bill Waslo. The charts you linked weren't from any speaker kit. The one response curve was done by a forum member during a crossover experiment after he clearly said he's never designed a crossover before......and before it was finished.

The Sentinel is a completed kit and uses a B&C woofer and the DNA-360, not the Eminence woofer and Eminence compression driver. Nothing wrong with Eminence, but the 15" B&C woofer is a nicer more expensive woofer. The kit also uses the heavier 15 and 16 gauge inductors.

I think the standard Eminence 4pi might be a closer match to the Karma-15 that uses a nice smooth Celestion woofer.

Hope I was able to help clear up any confusion you might have. In the end, I think either speaker brand would be a good choice. The Sentinel just happens to use beefier components, which some people may or may not need. The guys that built them were very pleased that they could be run full range and handle ridiculous amounts of power and still sound extremely clean and clear. No doubt MTG90 designed a heck of a speaker.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I think filtor1 pointed out an important point, which is that the 4pi comes with an assembled crossover. But, the sentinel has an available flat pack. So, I think it just depends on if you are more comfortable with wood work or assembling the crossover. I believe the Sentinel is probably the better value but the 4pi kit is still one hell of a good value also.

·
Banned
51 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erich H  /t/1469042/4-pi-vs-diy-sound-groups-fusion-sentinel-15#post_23225593

The charts you linked weren't from any speaker kit. The one response curve was done by a forum member during a crossover experiment after he clearly said he's never designed a crossover before......

That's true. The chart only shows the SEOS waveguide.

...which is a fundamental component of the speaker.

If you aren't comparing waveguides, what are you comparing? Other than that, the speakers are much the same.

·
Registered
64 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erich H  /t/1469042/4-pi-vs-diy-sound-groups-fusion-sentinel-15#post_23225593

"Ash R", the Sentinel was designed by MTG90, not Bill Waslo. The charts you linked weren't from any speaker kit. The one response curve was done by a forum member during a crossover experiment after he clearly said he's never designed a crossover before......and before it was finished.

I think Ash R was referring to this chart:

which appears to be generated from Bill's Designer 10 zip .

That's the ripple that Wayne uses as proof when he describe the SEOS12 as a truncated horn in Ash's link. Presumably it's also those ripples that Wayne is against correcting with EQ/XO.

Here's hoping that this doesn't get ugly like the last time Pi and SEOS stuff was directly compared...

·
Registered
422 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erich H  /t/1469042/4-pi-vs-diy-sound-groups-fusion-sentinel-15#post_23225811

You can get the Sentinel crossovers assembled if needed. MTG90 said he will do that for under $20. He's assembled some for other forum members and even other speaker models.

I accidentally sounded like a Staples commercial when I read that.

"Wow! That's a low price!"

1 - 20 of 305 Posts