Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1. What makes a Sub go low.

2. Will a sonotube play lower then a box.

3. If i have 2" subs in one box will that make it hit lower hz

4. guess its just three questions ;)

·
Registered
62 Posts
1. the reason a sub goes "low" is because it can (stupid answer i know) high frequencies have extreamly short wave leigths with quick movements. thats why a tweeter is normally 1 inch in diamiter. on the other hand a low frequency has long drawn out wave liegths. this is why subs are 8,10,12,15,18 inchs in size. they need to push more air and move witht he long waves.

2. a sono tube allows for mor bass extention. basicly its more effiecnt than a box. can it play "lower" not really. if you put the identical woofer in a box and they were both tunned the same im pretty sure u wouldnt notice a differnce in sound. the reason tubes seem better is becuase theres only a select few co. that make them and they do a dam good job. so the quality seems better...

3. 2 subs in one box will not hit lower. a subs frequency capacity will stay the same no matter what enclosure u put it in. it will be louder and more efficient, but not lower.

moral of the story, if u want lower, buy a better woofer that goes lower

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Here's what SVS says about choosing a cylinder or box:
http://www.svsubwoofers.com/faq.htm#cylinderorbox

I disagree that a sonotube allows more bass extension than a box. There may be some effect of the shape on the driver/port interaction, but I suspect it is minor compared to the overall design parameters of volume, driver & port. In general, a cylinder is simply a different shaped enclosure.

·
Banned
516 Posts
[QUOTE2. a sono tube allows for mor bass extention. basicly its more effiecnt than a box. can it play "lower" not really. if you put the identical woofer in a box and they were both tunned the same im pretty sure u wouldnt notice a differnce in sound. the reason tubes seem better is becuase theres only a select few co. that make them and they do a dam good job. so the quality seems better...[/quote]

Not to step on your coat tail but a sono is in no way any different than a box sub given the same amount of volume & tuning. The only way you could say it is more effienct would be in its simplicity to build one. A round enclosure dosent require nearly the thickness or bracing as a normal box sub would, since the pressure is the same throughout the enclosure. What dose make a sono so appealing is smaller footprint for a larger enclosure, easy to build, something other than the norm, low cost to build in most cases.

I have had several boxed subs, & a few self built sonos & have recently stepped into the world of IB. For the boxed & sono subs I have never noticed much difference in SQ, other than being able to go lower cleaner, due to the larger size I could build in a small footprint. And even though off of topic somewhat, if you wont the lowest, cleanest, most detailed bass your likely to ever hear go IB.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.