AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am setting up a 7.1 system in a pretty long room with multiple rows of seating. I was toying with setting up 2 sides on both sides spread out somewhat evenly (so I guess I'm up to 9.1!, though two speakers are just playing the same channel).

Can anyone think of any issues here? Acoustic problems? Obviously I can't set the delays differently, but they won't be that far apart. Is this a good or bad idea?

Thanks.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Well, that will give a theatrical experience. I guess once you starting going the road of arrays, you wouldn't need to worry about delays anymore because the experience changes with arrays.

I'd say enjoy the system with your friends or/and relatives. Tell us how it turns out when you implement it.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Personally, I would not go through the extra expense in speakers, amplification, and cables to do it. It may be better to strategically place your sides and boost their output relative to other speakers to get the same effect. You can call wilson on this one to see what they say.

·
Registered
208 Posts
You would never get the same effect of an array with two speakers only. The sound is just too locational.

In any case, if he can afford the extra speakers, then why not?!

Though I agree with tpigeon2003 about that you should try a 7.1 setup first to see how it fares, and then move to 9.1 if you wanted more. (unless you have no problem whatsoever with affording 9.1)

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by k_hectic
You would never get the same effect of an array with two speakers only. The sound is just too locational.

In any case, if he can afford the extra speakers, then why not?!

Though I agree with tpigeon2003 about that you should try a 7.1 setup first to see how it fares, and then move to 9.1 if you wanted more. (unless you have no problem whatsoever with affording 9.1)

Cool, I was mainly worried if there was some acoustical issue (e.g., having two speakers playing exactly the same think at slightly different distances) that was damning.

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
I think the multiple sides is a good idea. Just avoid di-poles. The cancellation effects would be a nightmare. Use bi-poles or direct-firing speakers.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Larry Fine
I think the multiple sides is a good idea. Just avoid di-poles. The cancellation effects would be a nightmare. Use bi-poles or direct-firing speakers.
They're directs (Wilson Watch Surrounds). Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
My response spent more words on my personal preference but the emphasis should have been on calling wilson. What you want to try to avoid doing is compromising the sweet spot in order to make those who sit off axis happy -- which is the nature of grating's question. Only wilson or a high volume wilson dealer (John Y. Chao is a member here from sound components, a large florida wilson dealer -- he might know) can answer the question for what is best in his room with their speakers. It may turn out that he does not need them. It may turn out that he can use them but they should to be placed differently than he currently plans to for best effect.

The reason I would lean against doing anything, is because people who sit off axis are already unavoidably compromised in their sonic experience and in order for you not to have that compromise, you end up with a movie theater sound instead of something better which is what grating is shooting for.

Why spend the money, when you will not make them whole anyway, even if you have it? Believe me, as it stands, most people who walk into his room who sit off axis in a 7.1 configuration, will walk out saying , or "this is the best sound system I ever heard", "I have to get me one of these" or, my favorite and the one I get most often, "Why do you ever leave home?". I know this because these are the comments I get.

·
Registered
447 Posts
thegratingone,

I have a similar situation. My room is 25 feet wide by 42 feet long. There are a pair of Wilson Watt/Puppy 6s being used as rear speakers in the back corners and there are 2 pairs of Wilson Watch Surrounds on the side walls mounted about 8 feet high (ceiling is 11 feet) and about 12 feet apart.

I am still doing some construction off and on in the room so have not done a serious calibration set-up yet but have experimented a little.

There were several reasons why I went with 2 pairs:

One was for aesthetic symmetry. The room is also the living room and I needed the wife to go along with using it for a home theater and audio listening room. Because of the unique characteristics of the room, if one pair of sides were used in the ideal location it would look a little unbalanced (the logical compromise locations wouldn't work b/c of the fireplace).

I also went with 2 pairs of side speakers for when we're entertaining and want background music in mono. 2 pairs spread the sound out more evenly both at reasonable volumes for conversation and at high volumes for dancing.

As for home theater. When I am sitting in the sweet spot alone or with just 1 or 2 others, I feed the rear signal to the Watt/Puppies in the rear and to the back pair of Watch Surrounds (reducing the rear level slightly) and use the more forward pair of Watch Surrounds (which are directly to the side of the sweet spot) for the side signal. When a group of people are over and scattered throughout the room, I switch the Y splitter and use both pairs of Surrounds for the side signal.

Once renovations are complete in the room, I will see if there are any cancellation or other issues in the room and see if acoustical treatments, etc. can address them. The Watch Surrounds are also directionally adjustable (by the amount of vertical tilt or by toeing them in slightly) which may prove useful in fine tuning the system.

So far, I have been very pleased.

______

Glade

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Glade and Grating,

Maybe I should have mentioned someone who already has a similar room too :).

Just out of curiosity. When you say you have your puppies in the corner, do you mean that literally or are you giving them some space? Because if they are in the corner, you might actually get better sound from the watch onwall as from what I understand, the puppies were designed to be spaced away from the walls. I am not sure of this by the way, I just think it might be a possibility that you can look into...

·
Registered
447 Posts
tpigeon2003,

I agree with you. The 6s are closer to the corners than I'd like but further out into the room than my wife would like so their position is a bit of a compromise (you enter the room from what is the rear of the theater so there is some practical limitations to how ideally they could be placed even if I had sole control over such things). However, since we're talking about the rear signal, it doesn't bother me too much and I don't think it compromises the sound too much either. In a perfect world, I'd find a way to get some of the LFE to the 6s (assuming it didn't cancel the bass coming from the front of the room).

nhparrot

The fronts are Wilson as well. A pair of Watt/Puppy 7s for left and right, a Cub I for the center (on its side) and a Watchdog in the corner as the sub.

______

Glade

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Great system.

Why'd you chose the Cub for the center instead of the Watch Center?

Quote:
Originally posted by Glade
tpigeon2003,

I agree with you. The 6s are closer to the corners than I'd like but further out into the room than my wife would like so their position is a bit of a compromise (you enter the room from what is the rear of the theater so there is some practical limitations to how ideally they could be placed even if I had sole control over such things). However, since we're talking about the rear signal, it doesn't bother me too much and I don't think it compromises the sound too much either. In a perfect world, I'd find a way to get some of the LFE to the 6s (assuming it didn't cancel the bass coming from the front of the room).

nhparrot

The fronts are Wilson as well. A pair of Watt/Puppy 7s for left and right, a Cub I for the center (on its side) and a Watchdog in the corner as the sub.

______

Glade

·
Registered
447 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by thegratingone
Why'd you chose the Cub for the center instead of the Watch Center?
Timing mostly. I was already using the Cub as a center channel when the Watch Center was introduced and haven't felt the need to change it. I may still at some point if I find it to be an improvement sonically but I would want to use the Watch Center with a stand that permitted the mono amp to be placed underneath and the stand used by Wilson does not.

______

Glade

·
Registered
11 Posts
what processing are you using for this setup. There are a few processors out there that actually allow for a second set of side speakers and can introduce a specified delay so that you dont get the soundstage colapsing. Meridian im sure allow for this and the newest lexicon processors have support for 10 channel audio but not the processing for it.

Its just a thought as if you can specify the correct delays so that as you move back through the room the delay is shortened you will get the sounds at the correct times.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.