AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am setting up a 7.1 system in a pretty long room with multiple rows of seating. I was toying with setting up 2 sides on both sides spread out somewhat evenly (so I guess I'm up to 9.1!, though two speakers are just playing the same channel).

Can anyone think of any issues here? Acoustic problems? Obviously I can't set the delays differently, but they won't be that far apart. Is this a good or bad idea?

Thanks.

·
Registered
395 Posts
You'll have to try it to hear it. I had a 7.1 system in a 20' x 20' room, but found out I liked 6.1 better. The 7.1 setup lessened the left to right/right to left stereo transition. With 6.1 you could hear the transition much better. The sounds that specifically go to the 6th channel aren't that prevalent. They come into play usually when something is moving left to right/right to left on the screen.

·
Registered
447 Posts
thegratingone,

See my reply to this thread in the speaker forum.

Also, from the size of your room (described in another post), i wouldn't think it is large enough to warrant using 2 pairs of side surrounds -- i would think that 1 pair would be preferrable.

_______

Glade

·
Registered
345 Posts
I am using an unusual spread out side surround speaker config. I have as seen on my web site ( www.prosteering.8k.com ) direct radiating sides. I have 3 mids and one tweet. The middle mid and the tweet is between the front and rear seating on the wall. The two other mids (matching) are in front of the front and also behind the rear couch. The front and rear mids pull the sound so the front seating does not have too much sound from the rear and the rear seating is not front heavy in sound. This works great, I have heard other setups and often feel neither front or rear seating has good side surround staging.

Wes

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Glade
thegratingone,

See my reply to this thread in the speaker forum.

Also, from the size of your room (described in another post), i wouldn't think it is large enough to warrant using 2 pairs of side surrounds -- i would think that 1 pair would be preferrable.

_______

Glade

Thanks. I thought 30' was pretty long. What do you think the downside of using 2 sets of sides would be?

·
Banned
1,488 Posts
I would use one pair of wide dispersion or quasi-dipoles situated in the middle of the rows of seating instead of multiple speakers as that will create interference although *technically* it would sound more like a theater. If you like that sort of thing :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.