AVS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently bought a house with 4 pre wired speakers with 6 conductor wire, just need help with a wire diagram to simple receiver. Please!

·
Banned
14,420 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero200  /t/1526065/4-speakers-4-wires-6-conductors-per-wire-need-wire-diagram#post_24574086

Recently bought a house with 4 pre wired speakers with 6 conductor wire, just need help with a wire diagram to simple receiver. Please!

You need a continuity tester or an ohm meter and some logic to figure out which are hots, and which are grounds.

So you are saying that there are 4 speakers, and six wires?

The logical way to do that would be to have separate grounds for left and right, and separate hot wires for each speaker.

The grounds can be identified by the fact that they are connected to 2 hots each.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There are 4 14/6 wires, red black blue green white brown are coming out of each of the 4 wires coming out of the wall

·
Banned
14,420 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero200  /t/1526065/4-speakers-4-wires-6-conductors-per-wire-need-wire-diagram#post_24574582

There are 4 14/6 wires, red black blue green white brown are coming out of each of the 4 wires coming out of the wall

the logical way to wire that would be half the wires to hot, half to ground, for each of the 4 speakers.

You still need the ohm meter or continuity tester. 3 wires in each bundle would be hot and shorted together, the other 3 ground and shorted together.

·
Registered
21,835 Posts
Look at the colors of wires at the back of each speaker?

·
Banned
14,420 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero200  /t/1526065/4-speakers-4-wires-6-conductors-per-wire-need-wire-diagram#post_24574802

So then how would I wire the three I find hot together to wire to my receiver?

3 wires that are connected together to the appropriate channels hot or red terminal, The other 3 wires that are connected together to channel ground or black terminal for the same channel.

You can use a 9v battery to identify which wires go to which speaker. The battery will make the speaker click when you hook it up to the appropriate wires.

·
Registered
21,835 Posts
I would take a crawl in the attic and do it right. Especially now that it's still cool.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts