AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Hi,

Depends on the room size and listening distance.

The receiver will always have more flex, headroom and options compared to active speakers (passives with built in amplifier).

Very best,

·
Registered
390 Posts
Room is 450 sq. ft. & Listening Distance would vary from 3 feet to 10 feet.
That's a tiny space for a tower speaker that is efficient, you probably get loud on less than 30 watts and at 3 feet, 2~3 watts maybe if that, maybe less even. You will have no problem hitting max listening volume for you, before you run out of headroom to go higher on a very low power amp frankly. An AVR will drive them past screaming levels.

Very best,

·
Registered
10,901 Posts
Are all these new threads continuations of the original thread about having speakers that can play loud enough to hear TV over drum practice? If so having all this in one thread would be better for getting targeted advice. When a single project is scattered over multiple threads those who take the time to try to help by providing advice won't all be aware of the background and a lot of time can get wasted on unfocused recommendations.

·
Registered
5,366 Posts
For drum practise, I suggest a good pair of studio recording headphones; both to protect your hearing, and to hear the rest of the music clearly.

·
Registered
I like big cones and I cannot lie !
2,171 Posts
Are all these new threads continuations of the original thread about having speakers that can play loud enough to hear TV over drum practice? If so having all this in one thread would be better for getting targeted advice. When a single project is scattered over multiple threads those who take the time to try to help by providing advice won't all be aware of the background and a lot of time can get wasted on unfocused recommendations.
Thank you. My eye was starting to twitch.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You right Dave in Green. (y) One Thread would be much Easier but I have gotten answers from a lot of members that would have 0therwise glazed over just one thread. . hanks for all the Help Everybody. I have learned a lot from you all. I went from being a Full Dummy to a 3/4 Dumas.:geek:o_O

·
Premium Member
7,042 Posts
That's a tiny space for a tower speaker that is efficient, you probably get loud on less than 30 watts and at 3 feet, 2~3 watts maybe if that, maybe less even. You will have no problem hitting max listening volume for you, before you run out of headroom to go higher on a very low power amp frankly. An AVR will drive them past screaming levels.

Very best,
That's a huge space. 450 square feet is 20 feet by 22 feet.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Practice with headphones and be prepared to play with headphones when playing live. Headphones have become/are becoming very common for musicians. Also, if you aren't using a click track when playing along with music, that will be a help, too.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Would a Receiver like this one be powerful enough to push 4 Klipsch R-610F Floorstanding Speakers loud enough in a 450 square foot room to be heard over a Acoustic Drumset? Would I need better speakers to achieve Say like 105 decibels continuously with a Sub as well. I can get 4 R--610F Speakers in Excellent Condition for less than $500 on Adorama.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I totally agree with you about the ruining my hearing but I was Drumming with my other Sound System for 15 years & had no hearing loss that I can tell. It must have not been able to play very loud. I was using it at max volume for like 10 minutes at a time for drumming with a few songs & then take a break for a few minutes. I wouldn't play for like hours at a time but maybe like a few times a week for an hour with several breaks in between.

Can anybody guess how loud my old Sharp Sound System could play at Max Volume? That gives me an Idea of how Loud I can play Music without hurting my ears.

·
Registered
5,366 Posts
OK, I'm going to say it. I will be brutally blunt, because you need to read this.

What you are considering is, IMHO, completely idiotic.

You WILL lose your hearing if you plan to do this without hearing protection. Hearing damage is permanent. Pro drummers use custom-made, noise-blocking, in-ear monitors, or ANC (Active Noise Cancelling) ear protection. Here is a SPL chart:
common-sounds-1.gif
Unless your house/apartment is completely soundproofed, your neighbours will NOT be amused.

Reactions: MadMaxNightRider

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
get proper hearing protection firsthand
Yeah I have left ear pain just from movies alone permanently ouch , tinnitus does not go away .. I even used earplugs after the damage was noticeable, but somehow lost them all 2 pairs ... lost in house never found vanished .
Movie theaters crank volume up so high damage is done ☑ without even notice.
It could be worse I could be completely deaf if I didn’t stop going there , and used earplugs til lost .. audiophile earplugs just too easy to lose

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I Totally Agree with you about Hearing Protection. I know you can lose hearing without even noticing it. Like if you are around loud noise for like an hour a day for a long time you will lose hearing. I'm sure I have lost some Hearing because of my Drumming at High Volume but that is my butt. I know I am Stupid but Drumming is about the only thing I have left in Life so I will take losing some hearing over not doing what I Love. I know that it is Stupid. All I want is some Advice on what Speakers, Sub or Receiver to get & not to be Scolded over my Choices. Thanks for all the Advice guys. Really Appreciate you all caring about my Hearing. I 100% Agree with you all on Hearing Protection. I know it is Stupid & I will lose & have already lost some hearing but it's my Favorite Hobby that I have put 25 years of Practice into. :)

·
Registered
5,366 Posts
I still recommend a good pair of studio headphones. Home audio products are simply not the proper tools for live music.
I think you would get much better performance out of a Pro Audio audio interface, a pair of active or passive PA speakers and sub. Behringer has several ones in their "Eurolive" series - both active and passive - that will simply out-perform home audio speakers and electronics.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts