AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

Im just starting a dedicated room today. Contractor has moved in, so its time to get the equipment ordered.

The room size is 16ft x 11 6 x 7ft 6 high. I'll be taking two feet off the front to have room for the speakers and then mounting a 103" diagonal AT Screen Excellence screen in front.

My LCR speakers will be Genelec 8050 active speakers.

So, wondering what I should do for subs.

I've been looking at three options so far.

1. A pair of PSA S3000s - this is top of the list as theres a local distributor now in the UK and I live in Ireland.
2. A pair of RA Gamma 218s
3. A pair of Seaton Submersive F2s with the HP amp.

Just wondering what your thoughts are and which would you choose from the above, or any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
You should check on the cost of shipping to the UK first. It could be very expensive for some big heavy subs and may limit it to just the PSA (Which are good subs). I would probably go with the S3000's. And if you feel you need more, then add 2 more. If you have more than one row of seating, you may benefit from 4 subs.

Reactions: AidenL

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You should check on the cost of shipping to the UK first. It could be very expensive for some big heavy subs and may limit it to just the PSA (Which are good subs). I would probably go with the S3000's. And if you feel you need more, then add 2 more. If you have more than one row of seating, you may benefit from 4 subs.

The shipping is expensive, but I have factored it in -I guess there's shipping costs to the UK distributor for the SAs to, so it balances out.

4 subs ! ! Ahh, my budget will be blown !

I'll see how I know the more the merrier as far as subs are concerned. I thought my room might be too small for so much woofage !

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
The shipping is expensive, but I have factored it in -I guess there's shipping costs to the UK distributor for the SAs to, so it balances out.

4 subs ! ! Ahh, my budget will be blown !

I'll see how I know the more the merrier as far as subs are concerned. I thought my room might be too small for so much woofage !
Yeah but you only buy 2 for now, and then only buy 2 more in the future if you need more. Chances are you will be happy with just 2 of them.

·
Banned
8,184 Posts
I have the exact same size room. I have 3 xs30's (the s3000 has better output) so 2 should be PLENTY! But to be honest. Any of your choices are not wrong.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys - all good so far then, and more options to consider.

My REW room sim measurements are scaring me though !

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Premium Member
11,444 Posts
AidenL said:
The room size is 16ft x 11 6 x 7ft 6 high. ...

I've been looking at three options so far.

1. A pair of PSA S3000s - this is top of the list as theres a local distributor now in the UK and I live in Ireland.
Yes. :cool:

That said, +1 to what Brian Fineberg said. :)

·
Registered
75" Samsung Q80R QLED, Denon AVR3300, Revel F36, C25, W263, FV15HP x 2, ATV4K, Sony Blu Ray, Harmony
8,274 Posts
Your top three are good choices. I would add dual JTR Captivator 2400 or 1400's to your list.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Your top three are good choices. I would add dual JTR Captivator 2400 or 1400's to your list.
I don't think the Cap 2400 is available anymore.

Since you're in Ireland, the shipping situation is going to make a big difference. I can tell you that I'm exceptionally happy with 2 PSA S3000i in a very large (7500+ cu ft) room and you'll have some budget left over.

·
Premium Member
1,312 Posts

·
Registered
5,088 Posts
I would roll with dual PSA S3000 subs. Those should be overwhelming in that size of a room. A 103" screen is REALLY big from a viewing distance of around 13' max. My brother-in-law had around that size screen and even the front row (about 15' away) of his large theater room seemed too close. I wouldn't put that large of a screen in that small of a room, but to each their own.

edit: Just had to mention that a $4 to $5K budget may be the largest range in AVS history. Not sure you'll find much at the $4 mark, however. I couldn't help myself, as when I read the thread title it made me chuckle.:D

·
Registered
12,860 Posts
It's not that large a room; I have a pair of Rythmik F12's in a similar size room and they are plenty. You could get a pair of Rythmik F15's. Servo control for low distortion, deep bass response, and should be more than enough to shake everything off the walls in that room.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Looking at your measurements that's 1350 cubic feet. That's not a lot of space. I think you should resist the urge to overspend here. Some of my own thoughts:

• Stick with sealed options; you're going to get amazing room gain that will give you amazing extension
  • I'd be willing to bet you'll hit reference levels with dual subs totaling closer to the $2k mark in a room that size.
  • Check out the list here: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-s.../1982409-id-subwoofers-pricepoint-vendor.html
  • I expect duals of anything in the $1000 price range on that list will be amazing in a room that size.
  • If it were my money, I'd lean towards dual PSA S1500s. The room size control will be helpful if you find yourself dealing with TOO MUCH room gain!

My honest advice is to spend $2k on subwoofers and put the other money into other aspects of your setup. In your room, it's likely not worth spending more.

·
Registered
14,318 Posts
If the OP has 4-5k to spend on subs, then by all means let him spend. Anybody that suggests spending less gets their man card pulled for a week and no posting allowed for that time frame. :)

I agree no need to go ported even though I suggested Cap 1400's, but I would definitely go dual opposed sealed. PSA 3000i, Seaton SubM, or RA gamma 218.
Get er' done!

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
If the OP has 4-5k to spend on subs, then by all means let him spend. Anybody that suggests spending less gets their man card pulled for a week and no posting allowed for that time frame. :)
HA! I didn't say to save the money or spend it on a spa weekend or something so absurd! I think spending it on upgrading other areas of the theater would do the OP more. :D

I agree no need to go ported even though I suggested Cap 1400's, but I would definitely go dual opposed sealed. PSA 3000i, Seaton SubM, or RA gamma 218.
Get er' done!
Any of those options would be amazing in a 1350 cubic foot room. I still might lean towards the PSA personally for the room size control given that it's a smaller room; but, if I had the budget for dual Submersives I'd probably go there myself!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Yeah, dual Submersives would be the best option.

Then Cap 1400's.

Cap2400's would be viable but you'd only get passive duals within $5k so, the amps would blow your budget (if you can even still get 2400's).

If you wanted to save some cash dual Rythmik FV15HP's would be pretty great but, yeah.. if you've got a full $5K to spend on subs, dual Submersives are superior by some way. The king in that price bracket IMO

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
I'm kinda leaning towards dual Submersives.

Might run with the standard form factor rather than the F2 style, $400 dollars saved there, makes it more sensible.

I was worried about overkill, too, but isn't it better to have too much than too little and then let setup and Room EQ tame it all down, but leave lots of headroom?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts