AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had the Panasonic for 1 year and have been generally satisfied with it except for the VB, which has defied the hard start and flicker tweaks suggested. I'm interested in the upgrade path others have followed and if they felt that there were units with street prices of $4 to $5K that would be a significant step up in performance.

My dedicated and light-controlled room is 12' X 20' with the projector mounted screen-height on the back wall so I do need 20' throw. 2 rows of seats so first row is 10', screen size is 106" diagonal. Thanks in advance...

John

·
Banned
3,477 Posts
I'd reccommend an Optoma H78DC3 or stretch the budget for an H79. I think it's works for that throw, if I read the calculator at PJC correctly.

Scott

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Scott. The H77 came up short when I checked it (had max throw of 17' for 106") but I will re-check H78DC3 and H79. Regards,

John

·
Registered
611 Posts
John you will have a problem finding a projector with that much throw. If you are looking at a DLP you will have to go with a Matterhorn chip to get that much throw. In your price range I would be looking at a Infocus Sp 5700 it will be at the edge of your throw it will be lower then your price range. Or a Sim2 Matterhorn they have a few options and they will work great for that range and will be within your price range.

The Sim2 would be your best choice. Very well built projectors with very long lamp life. Some models come with case color options. And will have lens shift also.

Call Jason at AVS up he carries the Sim2 line and will give you a good deal on one.

Yes I know it is like a step backwards in resolution but I bet you once you try one you will prefer these projectors mentioned over your Pano 700. The only good thing I liked about the 700 is its throw. Now if you are willing to ceiling mount a projector then you have a lot of options in you price range, which may be something to consider. Good luck.

Dale

·
Banned
3,477 Posts
John,

One other thing to consider, if you can ceiling mout. is the H7x series are so quiet even if it's right above your head you won't hear it.

scott

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
I have my H78DC3 back wall shelved at about 19.6', and it's throwing right at a 119". I would have to agree about the ceiling mounting, as it is whisper quiet.

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
>>John by the way, what gain is your screen? That always helps when recommending a projector.

Dale

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick TX
I have my H78DC3 back wall shelved at about 19.6', and it's throwing right at a 119". I would have to agree about the ceiling mounting, as it is whisper quiet.
Including the depth of the projector, my throw is very close to yours. How close is your first row of seats? If you have more than one row, how far back is your preferred seating location? Thanks,

John

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
The Dukane 9100hc / Jvc Dla-hx1u D-ila deal from AVS would be nice.

My HX1U (calibrated by William) is in the back wall at 21' from the screen.

My friend brought his AE700 home and we did compare them side-by-side. And we both prefered the D-ILA. Since then, he wants to buy my HX1U... :D

·
Registered
611 Posts
John how high is your ceiling? If your are set on shelf mounting you could increase your budget slightly and go with a Sharp 12000 with a 104" wide Da-lite Highpower screen. You will have plenty of brightness to play with since it has a adjustable iris. That way while watching during the day when you may not be able to get rid of all ambient light you can open the iris, great for watching sports. And in dark you can close it up and get great blacks great for movies. I have seen a few 12000s in action and the quality is great. Just as good as most DC3 chip projectors out now. I used to have a 10000 and it was dam near as good as my H77.

If you look around you should be able to buy the Projector and screen combo for around $5000 to $6000.

Dale

·
Registered
23,188 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by azjetski
John how high is your ceiling? If your are set on shelf mounting you could increase your budget slightly and go with a Sharp 12000 with a 104" wide Da-lite Highpower screen.
I think that combo might work well, but I would suggest looking for used or waiting until after CEDIA for anybody considering this one. I don't believe the prices for new have come down far enough on this one given the market changes in the last 18 months. After CEDIA maybe there will be more used ones available also. I sure hope Sharp has something new to show at CEDIA that beats the 12k. It could be at a higher price, but push 12k prices down.

--Darin

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Hang tight until Cedia. Rumor has it there will be several D5 based LCDs shown there. This could be the step up you're waiting for. Otherwise, take a look at the Canon SX50, streeting for under $4K.

·
Registered
5,001 Posts
If you are going with a Model B, why not just include a slightly larger screen to go along with the H78? You can get a Matte White for very little, or a HP for a bit more.

·
Banned
6,051 Posts
Like it was mentioned before the Optoma 79 is the way, to go. Its an incredible projector and at the price they are selling them for, its a no brainer assuming it fits your room

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by azjetski
John how high is your ceiling?

Dale
Ceiling is 8' but with 2 ceiling fans. They were the only concession my wife asked for in the HT design, other wise gave me carte blanche in the budget and layout. Seemed like a pretty good trade at the time ;)

John

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Robert
Including the depth of the projector, my throw is very close to yours. How close is your first row of seats? If you have more than one row, how far back is your preferred seating location? Thanks,

John
The lens is at 18.5'. My first row is at 12, and second (on a riser) is at 17'. What straight up blew me away is the lack of SDE with this thing. I have to be real close, like 4' to see it. It's an amazing machine.

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ursa
If you are going with a Model B, why not just include a slightly larger screen to go along with the H78? You can get a Matte White for very little, or a HP for a bit more.
Already have the screen which I got with the PJ a year ago. My room is only 12' wide so not much room to go larger than 106", since I have a rack on either side of the screen (bad I know, but when the screen is down it covers all the equipment except my Arcam avp700 pre/pro). My first row is only 10' back so I'm not sure how big I want to go. In a perfect world, I'd find something that would give me a better image (with no VB!!!) at my current screen size (or slightly larger)and throw distance. We'll see...

John

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.