AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking for an amp for a build I'm considering doing with 4 of the eD clearance drivers. I finally found and ordered the right amp at the right price (an EP2500) then ordered the 4 drivers. However, I got poking around and found that I could get the 19Ov.2 shipped for ~$60 less than the 4 13Kv.2 drivers. I'm wondering what you guys think would be the better option. I want to go sealed but the 13Kv.2 drops off quick in a sealed box, I don't really know how much EQ'ing can do to fix this...

Any help/opinions would be appreciated.

Edited to add specs:
13Kv.2:

Qts: .31

Qes: .35

Qms: 3.33

Fs: 21.5 Hz

Re: 3.7

Vas: 162 L

Mms: 142 g

Bl: 15 T*m

SPL: 88.47 dB

Sd: 545 cm^2

Xmax: 15.1 mm

Voice Coil: 50 mm

19Ov.2:

Qts: .369

Qes: .37

Qms: 7.5

Fs: 26 Hz

Re: 3.5

Vas: 228 L

Mms: 307 g

Bl: 22.1 T*m

SPL: 90.5 dB

Sd: 1200 cm^2

Xmax: 22 mm

Voice Coil: 62.5 mm

·
Registered
460 Posts
i havent had any experience with the 13kv but i can tell you that the 19ov will kick some serious butt (i have four sealed)...others with more experience with the former might help, but im sure you will not be dissapointed by either.

with 4 drivers, you might be able to move more air while keeping distortion low, i just dont know how it compares directly to the 19ov...give eD a call and talk to them about it. they are awesome!

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdk2007 /forum/post/14060567

i havent had any experience with the 13kv but i can tell you that the 19ov will kick some serious butt (i have four sealed)...others with more experience with the former might help, but im sure you will not be dissapointed by either.

with 4 drivers, you might be able to move more air while keeping distortion low, i just dont know how it compares directly to the 19ov...give eD a call and talk to them about it. they are awesome!

Thanks for the input! I did email eD to see what their take on it is. It may be a moot point as I think the 13Kv.2's may have already shipped... stupid buyers remorse!

If I put the 13Kv.2's in a sealed box can a BFD do miracles to flatten the response? I'll have to post a graph later to show what I'm talking about, it drops off pretty quickly (although the room reinforcement will help some down low)

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
IDK about the 13Kv.2, but the 3 19Ov.2 D2's I tested did not meet published spec.

You are probably better off with the 13Kv.2's anyhow

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEO Dan /forum/post/14060710

IDK about the 13Kv.2, but the 3 19Ov.2 D2's I tested did not meet published spec.

You are probably better off with the 13Kv.2's anyhow

Thanks for that, it's really helping my buyers remorse...

Also, I saw in your easy button end table thread you were going to try to mod the EP2500 high pass filter, did you ever get anywhere with that?

·
Registered
5,545 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEO Dan /forum/post/14060710

Would you care to elaborate on that Dan? I know I for one am interested what the back story to that is. I almost bought some 190v2's.

·
Registered
26,476 Posts

Quote:
EP2500 high pass filter, did you ever get anywhere with that?

it has a high pass filter?

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
See snippet from Dan's Easy button end table thread below (it's in the first post of the thread linked to in Dan's signature):

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEO Dan /forum/post/13613854

Every version should include some form of subsonic filter at ~10Hz, the PE and BASH plate amps are easiest, I can calculate the resistor values and post them. Once I get the EP2500 I plan on figuring out how to mod the filters, I will share that info

·
Registered
26,476 Posts

Quote:
See snippet from Dan's Easy button end table thread below (it's in the first post of the thread linked to in Dan's signature):

The Behringer amp does not have any filters in it (most pro amps dont have SFF). I suspect Dan is saying he needs to build a filter to protect his drivers. In which a $100 eQ.2 from elemental Designs does that.

Here is the EP2500 measurements....it has no filters and there is no real drop in dB down to 10hz.

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
19Ov.2 D2 coils in series, in all its glory

And parallel:

The EP2500 has 30Hz or 50Hz selectable filters, the idea is to modify one to suit. But I don't have an EP2500, I was planning to get one after the Maelstorm-X, but after the parameters came out and looking at a $399 price with shipping I'm OK with what i've got. I'm way happier with $700 in my wallet and keeping what i've got.

And ED still has all my money, they got there drivers back like a month ago. No contact from them at all, that sucks

·
Registered
26,476 Posts

Quote:
The EP2500 has 30Hz or 50Hz selectable filters, the idea is to modify one to suit. But I don't have an EP2500, I was planning to get one after the Maelstorm-X, but after the parameters came out and looking at a $399 price with shipping I'm OK with what i've got. I'm way happier with $700 in my wallet and keeping what i've got.

Yes, sorry for the confusion. There are selected filters (same with the QSCs) and you want to mod one of them to 10Hz (I remember now).

I was reading it thinking people thought the EP2500 had an internal hard wired SFF. Sorry about that.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well I've been playing with Unibox and think I've found what I'm going to try to do. It looks like a 500L ported box tuned to 15 Hz with a 8" port and heavy fill graphs quite nicely. Giving each driver 375W I shouldn't have any trouble with XMax until around 15Hz, also chuffing should be under control until that point.

So any clues on what would need to be done to the EP2500 to mod one of the filters to 15Hz?

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
Heavy fill in 500 liters is something like a 30 gallon garbage bag$

All that to go with a 15Hz tune

The woofer might live, at the power level you have in mind.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEO Dan /forum/post/14065611

Heavy fill in 500 liters is something like a 30 gallon garbage bag$

All that to go with a 15Hz tune

The woofer might live, at the power level you have in mind.

Would that be too much fill? I was thinking I'd just use the pillow fill like you did in the easy button thread.

I suppose if I'm going to do it I should try to get to a 10Hz tune, I'm definitely open to suggestions on this - this will be my first DIY sub build. The only restriction I have is that it needs to fit in a corner that is 40" wide x 27" deep x 60" tall - those are the max dimensions though that would put me right up against the wall. For the 500L I was thinking I'd build something 40X40X20 and try it in the corner, I also considered converting it into a coffee table if the corner didn't work out.

About the power, the EP2500 is too much amp for what I need but I couldn't get anything that would push the 600 WPC I wanted for even the same price, everything I found was used, a bit more money, and in crap condition so I just went with the EP2500 anyway. Could I use the EP2500 and just keep the gain knob at about 75% and model in Unibox for 300W? What would 300W look like on the gain knob of the EP2500 anyway? Also, how would one verify I'm not exceeding that 300W?

·
Registered
26,476 Posts

Quote:
So any clues on what would need to be done to the EP2500 to mod one of the filters to 15Hz

I suspect you just replace the capacitor inside...I dont really know but that is normally how Filters are handled.

Its not a bad idea actually, Im surprise there is not a "Mod" thread on this similar to the fan mod threads.

Other then that just buy the eD eQ.2 for $100, it has a variable SFF setting and it has two parametric EQ bands to help correct sub freq issues....its a great little device for its price!!

·
Registered
5,545 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEO Dan /forum/post/14064570

19Ov.2 D2 coils in series, in all its glory

And parallel:

And ED still has all my money, they got there drivers back like a month ago. No contact from them at all, that sucks

Ummmm wow
. Sealed box went from under 2.9 ft(ED specs) to 10.5ft (measured) Vented changed radically too and the LE 5.819mh
I'm not a big LE hater but my big ass split coil XXX's only had 3.88mh! I can see why you were dismayed. It's still decent for the price, but it's not the small box woofer it is thought to be.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
I think you made the right decision...I had a single 13kv2 and it put out some serious deep bass. 4 of them will scare the crap out of you

1 - 20 of 117 Posts