AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to finally jump into an HDTV, and was looking for some advice.

To me, the important specifications are as follows:

1. 40 - 42

2. Under $2000

3. 1080p (needs to accept 1080p signals)

4. Good black levels

5. Minimal issues (good customer service if there are issues)

This TV would be used for 30% SD viewing, 30% DVD, 20% HD, 20% gaming. I'll be connecting a DVD player (Oppo DV-971H, DVI or HDMI), cable box (Scientific Atlanta 8300HD, HDMI), possibly an xbox 360 (component or VGA).

With all that in mind, I'd been looking at the following TVs:

1. Westinghouse LVM-42w2 (worried about quality problems and the latest firmware)

2. Sharp Aquos LC-42D62U (banding issues and if they've been corrected)

3. Sony KDL-40v2500 (cost, clouding problems, and customer support)

I was hoping for people to offer some opinions on these TVs, if any stand above the rest in any way, or any significant problems with them. Also, if there are any other TVs out there that meet the above criteria that I should consider.

Thanks in advance for any help, I've started to burn myself out on research and really need the assistance.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm in the same situation as you. My specifications are almost exactly the same as what you listed. The only thing I would like to add is that I must be able to hook it up to a PC at a resolution of 1920x1080. I assume this is implied by "needs to accept 1080p signals," but I wanted to be more clear for my situation. Since I will be doing this, there can not be any overscan. I have heard that even some 1080p sets still have overscan, and I need to avoid this. I guess I could use powerstrip, but I would rather not.

I have looked at the models you mentioned and a few others:

Samsung LNS4095DX/XAA

Toshiba 42HL196

Toshiba 42LX196

Toshiba 42LZ196

I hope someone with more experience is able to make some more specific suggestions. People on this forum seem to find problems with EVERY LCD ever made, so it's making my buying decision even harder.

My longest experience with HDTV is my friends Sony Bravia (not sure what model, but it is 32") and it looks amazing. The ONLY problem I have ever seen with it is when the camera is zooming in on something it seems to streak a little suggesting slow LCD response time. 8ms seems to be the standard and I don't know if any Bravia's were ever slower than 8ms.

My biggest problem with the Sony Bravia right now is that their 1080p sets are so much more expensive than other brands.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Well I went to Best Buy tonight to look at some of these models and they only had two of them listed so far. I saw the Sharp LC-42D62U and the Toshiba 42HL196.

The Toshiba 42HL196 looked ok, except for a very obvious vertical line down the middle. I don't know what the deal was with that, but I didn't see it on any other TV's there. This kind of makes me want to avoid that model. That is the lowest model listed, and there are better ones out there though.

The Sharp LC-42D62U looked very nice. There was a Bravia sitting next to it and the Bravia looked much brighter and the Sharp seemed to change colors much more as you changed viewing angle. The Bravia seemed very consistant. This was an older non-1080p Bravia btw. I'm sure the brightness difference could be attributed to settings on the TV.

Another thing I questioned while I was there is the whole LCD vs Plasma thing. For what I'm looking at spending on an LCD, I could get a nice 50" plasma. This makes me very sad. But I decided to go with LCD because I will be watching a lot of standard definition stuff, and I can not stand warped aspect ratios. And watching a plasma set with black bars on the side apparently ruins them in a month.

I also noticed that either the video source or the input method being used at best buy is terrible. There's lots of blocky poor quality video being displayed there. This tells me that the source is compressed to something that is poor quality because all the TV's have it. I know it's not the TV's. They are all capable of displaying much better quality pictures, but best buy is not showing it off.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I have the 42" Sharp Aquos connected to a Cox Cable fed SA8300 HD-DVR and the PQ is excellent. The black level on the Aquos is among the best I have seen for an LCD. The banding shows up primarily on the 46" and 52" models and few if any have reported banding on the 42". Many think that the 42" panel is made at a different factory and has escaped the banding issue.

The Sony and I think also the Samsung use the same panel and have their issues with clouding. Sony is reported to be refusing to acknowledge that they have a problem. While Sharp acknowledges that they have the banding issue and are replacing the bad sets. I have not heard anything about how Samsung is dealing with their panel issues if they infact are using the same panel as Sony.

I found the Westy to be somewhat bland compared to the big name LCDs.

Yes I am a bit biased towards the Sharp and here is why. I own a Sharp and it has a great picture so I am talking from experience. Sharp is working with its customers who have the banding problem instead of ignoring them as reports indicate Sony is doing.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's good to hear about the lack of banding on the 42" Sharp.

What do you mean by "bland" when comparing the Westinghouse to the Sharp? I've heard good things about its PQ, and the fact that the latest firmwares seem to clear up most of the issues is good news. Not to mention all of the different inputs (HDMI, DVI, and VGA) and it's $500 less on average. These make me lean towards the Westinghouse, but then a lot of people really like the Sharp.

To me, it's just really hard to choose between the two. I really wish Best Buy still had the 42" Westy so I could at least look at it.

·
Registered
312 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by martiad3 /forum/post/0

That's good to hear about the lack of banding on the 42" Sharp.

What do you mean by "bland" when comparing the Westinghouse to the Sharp? I've heard good things about its PQ, and the fact that the latest firmwares seem to clear up most of the issues is good news. Not to mention all of the different inputs (HDMI, DVI, and VGA) and it's $500 less on average. These make me lean towards the Westinghouse, but then a lot of people really like the Sharp.

To me, it's just really hard to choose between the two. I really wish Best Buy still had the 42" Westy so I could at least look at it.

The picture on the westy just didnt impress me. The other TVs seemed to have a more vivid picture.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Was this a best buy display or a well set-up one in home?

·
Registered
312 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by martiad3 /forum/post/0

Was this a best buy display or a well set-up one in home?

Best Buy, it was all sorta lonely in the far corner of the TV section. It seemed they were not giving it even a moderate spot in the lineup. I saw this at both Best Buys in my area. The Westy gets put down some obscure isle away from the main Wall of flat screens.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I'm in the same boat looking for a 37-42" 1080p LCD for around $1500.

I looked at many of them and am holding out for a better deal or a better TV. It seems that none of them have the options that I want all in one package.

In fact, the 42w2 with an external tuner probably comes closest, but we all know the issues with that decision.

·
Registered
312 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Welsh /forum/post/0

I'm in the same boat looking for a 37-42" 1080p LCD for around $1500.

I looked at many of them and am holding out for a better deal or a better TV. It seems that none of them have the options that I want all in one package.

In fact, the 42w2 with an external tuner probably comes closest, but we all know the issues with that decision.

Your not going to find a name brand 37" with 1080p for $1500 at the moment. But perhaps as the 2007 models roll out you might just find one. The closes I have seen is the Sharp LC-37D90U but it goes for almost as much as the 42" D62. I got my 42" on Cyber Monday and a week later I caught Best Buy lowering the price further. I ended up getting some price match money back and ended up paying a few hundred under 2k for it and got a free Homedics massage chair with it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Since I like the Sony KDL-40v2500 so much more than the others, I think I will just wait a month or two and see if the price comes down a little bit. Any speculation on when we can except a price drop on this model? Are newer models coming out anytime soon?

·
Registered
9 Posts
This is an old thread, but I'm in the exact same situation. Going to be playing PS3, watching Bluray, etc. Sitting 6' away from the TV. Which of these would be best?

Westinghouse 42'' TX-42F430S - Price1

Samsung 40'' 4061F - Price1 + $100

Samsung 40'' 4065F - Price1 + $300

Sharp 42'' LC-42D62U - Price1 + $300

Sony 40'' KDL-40V2500 - Price1 + $500

I'm trying to decide between the Westinghouse and the Sharp (possibly the Samsung 4065F). Is the $300 price difference justified in terms of picture quality? Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
11 Posts
I haven't gotten a TV yet, but I keep looking at the Sony KDL-40V2500. On paper it looks great, but whenever I go into the store it doesn't look as good as the other TVs. I have no idea if it's just the setup at the store, or if it actually is poor quality. In high action it seems to have way more artifacts than any other TVs.

Maybe some owners could comment on this?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.