AVS Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Yes, both are recent. For similar price, I would choose a more powerful card with a fan that only runs when needed.

As I read that, only if you use HDMI port 1 or 2. HDMI 2.0 has enough bandwidth for [email protected]

-tm

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Yes, both are recent. For similar price, I would choose a more powerful card with a fan that only runs when needed.
I have a semi-fanless nvidia 1050, but the semi-fanless feature turned out to be useless, since the only time I hear the fans is when it spins up (which happens even when idling). So I force the fans to run continuously.

The 1030 didn't exist when I bought my 1050, otherwise I would have got it instead.

·
Registered
444 Posts
The fan speed is typically temperature-driven. If it's running all the time, then a couple possible causes are:

1) case with poor ventilation
2) GPU not clocking down

The latter is probably going to be caused by software bugs and/or configuration issues e.g. OS power plan set to "Max Performance"

Sure, you won't have fan noise problems on the passive models (unless it's the case fans spinning up), but you'll probably run into issues due to throttling instead.

-tm

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
The fan speed is typically temperature-driven. If it's running all the time, then a couple possible causes are:

1) case with poor ventilation
2) GPU not clocking down

The latter is probably going to be caused by software bugs and/or configuration issues e.g. OS power plan set to "Max Performance"
Running it all the time is better than periodically spinning up - the latter
makes more noise, which defeats the purpose.

The card only idles in low power mode when driving 1 display. Actually when I first got it, low power mode was active with 2 displays, but it also crashed all the time. Later nvidia driver updates eliminated both the crashes and the low power mode (coincidentally or not).

·
Registered
444 Posts
Sure, but the idea is to pick a semi-passive fan that will stay in passive mode normally, but be a little more future-proof. My MSI drives dual displays (1 4k and 1 1080p) with the fan off until I game or use madVR.

I stand by my earlier points. If the board itself has a well-designed cooling solution, either the case is trapping the heat or there is a software issue. I remember an NVidia driver issue that matches your description. Unfortunately, it's not always in our hands.

If noise is #1 concern by far, then definitely get the passive model. Generally, you trade off cost/performance and may have problems fitting it in a case.

-tm

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #26

As I read that, only if you use HDMI port 1 or 2. HDMI 2.0 has enough bandwidth for [email protected] -tm
Thanks. The price of the graphics cards is not all that much, so I could easily go with the MSI GT 1050 rather than the1030. However, Luke's comments concerned me a bit.
You mention cooling design of the M. Board. I am intending to get a Asus Prime X299-Deluxe with a low-end Skylake Core i9 processor. Would this setup meet your recommendation for a well-designed cooling system?

I think you are correct about the 60Hz vs. 30 Hz with the LG monitor. I found this in the manual:
HDMI IN 1/2 : 3840 x 2160 @ 30 Hz
HDMI IN 3/4 : 3840 x 2160 @ 60 Hz
DP IN (USB-C IN) : 3840 x 2160 @ 60 Hz

·
Registered
444 Posts
I was referring to the video card cooling solution. If the heat sink isn't very good or is not properly installed by manufacturing then you'll get more fan usage than needed (due to higher temps). Generally, when running, cheaper and smaller fans are noisier. A larger fan is more likely to go unnoticed since it will rotate at a lower RPM.

As far as motherboards, I generally do like the ASUS ones. The BIOS provides a lot of control/customization in regard to fan speeds. I'm sure ASUS aren't the only ones, but they were one of the best the last time I purchased.

-tm

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I would like to "future-proof" as much as possible, so the semi-passive-fan design of the MSI GT 1050 2GH LP OC does make sense. Although I did notice that the 1030 uses half the power of the 1050, but that may be with the assumption that the fan is running full blast. I never turn my computer off, so lower wattage is appealing.
Now as I look at the MSI 1050s I see 12 different ones (Plus all the Ti versions). I attached a list. For my simple needs which makes the most sense?

Attachments

·
Registered
444 Posts
The power ratings are nominal for full power. They have nothing to do with [near] idle draw.

Start with what will fit. Throw out half-height if you don't need it. Then, cards that are too long. Check out the port selection and fans. Check out some reviews when you have things narrowed down.

-tm

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #30 (Edited)
The power ratings are nominal for full power. They have nothing to do with [near] idle draw.

Start with what will fit. Throw out half-height if you don't need it. Then, cards that are too long. Check out the port selection and fans. Check out some reviews when you have things narrowed down.
-tm
That is what I suspected--full power.
The MSI GT 1050 2GH LP OC has 1 xDual-link DVI-D, 2 x HDMI 2.0b, 1 x DisplayPort 1.4, just an ideal port offering as far as I am concerned.
BUT, I just discovered that it is half-height. Is that really a no-no?
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125951I can't seem to find any other 1050 that has the 2 HDMI & a DP, except, perhaps this one: MSI GEForce gtx1050 2GT LPV3 has 2 HDMI & 1 DP

·
Registered
444 Posts
It's just a set of trade-offs. Obviously, it fits better in small cases. On the con side, you probably get a smaller fan along with the heat concentrated in a smaller area.

-tm

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
It's just a set of trade-offs. Obviously, it fits better in small cases. On the con side, you probably get a smaller fan along with the heat concentrated in a smaller area.
-tm
It's a shame, as I have a good size case (mid-tower) and there is not much in it besides the MB & a SSD & P Supply.
If anyone is aware of a good non-height, graphics card for my use (non-gaming, web surfing using two browsers and tons of open tabs, office work, rare video and streaming) that has 2 HDMI ports and 1 DisplayPort, I would be grateful to hear about it.

Any thoughts on this option: MSI GEForce gtx1050 2GT LPV3 (has 2 HDMI & 1 DP) ?

Thanks, Richard

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #34

·
Registered
828 Posts
I think a lot of people, including me, are using Samsung MU6290/MU6300. The 40" is a 4k VA panel that supports 4:4:4. Input lag and contrast are pretty nice, but response time not so much. OS scaling should take care of any issues with readability on a high resolution screen.

If you're picky about ghosting, probably better off looking at a real computer monitor.

-tm
Or get the 43 TCLS405. It's as cheap or cheaper in most places than the 40 inch samsung. I have both and am comparing side by side before I bring one back. Going to keep the TCL because the ghosting is almost non-existent, very monitor like. The input lag is also under one frame at 14ms which is a godsend for gaming. On the other hand, you are getting worse uniformity (darker corners and dirty screen effect) and worse contrast for the former benefits. YMMV but I appreciate the much better response time and lower input lag more than the superior blacks/uniformity of the Samsung. The TCL's image seems better balanced and less 'blown out' out of the box as well. Both uncalibrated though, of course.

I really love the TCL as a gaming display though, so much so that I usually use it over my B6 OLED that has about 2x the input lag which is enough of a difference in competitive shooters. Mousing on a display with under 1 frame of input lag feels fantastic as well (I wouldn't know how it feels in FPS games, as I game with a controller on PC but I can imagine the difference is even more noticeable if you do).

·
Registered
444 Posts
Yeah, that's another great option. One of the reasons I went with the Samsung was to avoid PWM. Also, I mostly use desktop apps with dark themes, thus I preferred the bump in contrast/uniformity over responsiveness/lag. Depending on your usage, your preference will vary.

-tm

21 - 38 of 38 Posts