AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, everyone.

I have to use 40' - 45' of BJC Belden Series-1 Bonded-Pair HDMI cable, described by Blue Jeans Cable as their best for distance runs. Because our Hitachi 60VX500 only has a DVI input, I prefer using a DVI adapter rather than a cable with HDMI to DVI terminations. I really want to avoid the repetition of cutting openings in ceiling drywall for installing a cable with HDMI to HDMI terminations. Eventually we'll replace the Hitachi with a TV with HDMI inputs, so of course the adapter will then be unnecessary. This cable will run from a Pioneer VSX-84TXSi receiver to the Hitachi TV. A 6' HDMI cable will run from a Sony BDP-S550 blu ray player to the receiver.

Currently the Hitachi is connected using component cables.

Even though the BJC Belden Series-1 Bonded-Pair HDMI cable is their best for long runs, does anyone see the use of an adapter as a compromising factor for signal transfer in what is already a rather long HDMI cable? Has anyone successfully used a DVI adapter with 45 feet of HDMI cable? Thanks.

·
Registered
6,908 Posts
There are no real issues of using a DVI-HDMI adapter so long as it has connectors of decent quality! But, inevitably, it will be the unnecessary adaper connection that fails.

Why don't you just get a proper HDMI-DVI cable in the first place and skip the adapter??!!

·
Registered
9,392 Posts
Suggest another option: HDMI Extender using Cat5e cable extending up to 50 Meter

Monoprice has this HDMI Extender using Cat5e cable , comes with Transmitter, Receiver and AC adapter. You basically plug 2 Cat5e cables into the HDMI transmitter and run your Cat5e cables to the HDMI Receiver (purchase Cat5e separate).

At the HDMI Receiver you then hook up via HDMI/DVI cable to your Hitachi 60VX500 input. And when you are ready to replace the Hitachi with a TV with HDMI inputs, just get a new HDMI cable.

The installation using Cat5e is easier to work with than the thick and stiff HDMI cable. Especially if you plan on going through walls or ceilings.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavu /forum/post/16926883

There are no real issues of using a DVI-HDMI adapter so long as it has connectors of decent quality! But, inevitably, it will be the unnecessary adaper connection that fails.

Why don't you just get a proper HDMI-DVI cable in the first place and skip the adapter??!!

You're right about the HDMI-DVI cable, but the cable must be installed in the ceiling and wall. Later when we get an updated TV, I would have to open up the ceiling and wall again to install a HDMI-HDMI cable. I want to avoid the double installation.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin /forum/post/16927220

Suggest another option: HDMI Extender using Cat5e cable extending up to 50 Meter

Monoprice has this HDMI Extender using Cat5e cable , comes with Transmitter, Receiver and AC adapter. You basically plug 2 Cat5e cables into the HDMI transmitter and run your Cat5e cables to the HDMI Receiver (purchase Cat5e separate).

At the HDMI Receiver you then hook up via HDMI/DVI cable to your Hitachi 60VX500 input. And when you are ready to replace the Hitachi with a TV with HDMI inputs, just get a new HDMI cable.

The installation using Cat5e is easier to work with than the thick and stiff HDMI cable. Especially if you plan on going through walls or ceilings.

Thanks for the suggestion. I might just follow your advice. In addition, I'm going to research fiber optic HDMI cable as well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.