AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK...just installed my Aura Pro Bass Shakers (2 = 100 W @ 8 ohms). I was going to buy 40 feet of coax (RG59) and convert it to RCA on either end, however I saw a Radio Shack brand 40 foot "Speaker Wire" cable with RCA plugs already installed. Total cost was under $10.

I have it running to another amp to power my Aura Bass Shakers...so my question is:

What do I lose by going with a lower quality speaker wire run vs Coax?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
7,212 Posts
Well I guess nothing if it sounds good. I think the cable you are describing was not made to be used in the manner in which you are using it. If it is the one I think it is it is made to carry a signal to a speaker and not even shielded. If you aren't getting a hum or having any problems, you are lucky. Most cables designed for line level signals are shielded or have some sort of configuration to reject noise. Also most cable designed for line level audio signals are I think 50 ohm. It's not likely the speaker cable is. But don't fix what's not broken.

·
Registered
766 Posts
I have basically the same setup, however I run quad shield RG6. The coax basically goes down the back wall, accross the basement ceiling and up the rear wall to the amp behind the couch. It does cross electrical lines.

If you use bad wire you may be laying on your couch and hear a nice little hum coming from your shakers.

Regards,

Hal

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.