AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I asked before who was manufacturing the 40-inch LCD panels and got back several speculations -- Mitsubishi, NEC, Samsung. But in looking at various charts that list all the thin panel products on the market, I see none of those brands offering a 40" product. They may have a 42 or a 37, but no 40. The ones that do list a 40" model tend to be smaller vendors who clearly are OEM'ing it -- brands like Maxx and Sherbourn. I saw that Sim2 is also introducing a 40" LCD. So I'm wondering if whoever is manufacturing this particular panel size is only offering it to specialty vendors and is not marketing it through any of the major labels. Are there any industry insiders out there that can shed light on this?

·
Registered
684 Posts
Samsung used to sell a 40" LCD TV. It went through a couple of generations, with model numbers like LTN403T and LTN406W. I believe these have been discontinued for a while.

Surprisingly, I saw a 406W very recently in a Best Buy, selling for a very high price. This "old technology" unit does not look good next to newer panels.

Samsung may be selling the 40" modules to other TV manufacturers.

·
Registered
145 Posts
The only thing listed on Samsung's website is the LTN406W. You can buy it from them for $4999 (which of course is MSRP). If you click on the button for other retailers, it lists only BB.

·
Registered
4,273 Posts
Samsung dropped the MSRP for the LTN406W from $6999 to $4999 in one fell swoop right around Oct. 1, when Sharp announced the price cuts for Aquos. Would be interesting to find out what the actual sales numbers at BB for the LTN406W are.

As for 40" LCD TVs, the only ones I have seen are the Samsung at BB and the by d:sign (sp?) 40" LCD at Costco and CompUSA. The d:sign is a re-badged Taiwan make.

There is the 42" Sony LCD ($$$) and the 42" Philips, but I don't recall a posting on here from anyone who has seen the Philips.

·
Registered
950 Posts
LG also has a 42"(DU-42LZ30). All these 42" displays use an LG Philips panel.

Robert

·
Registered
787 Posts
which 40" LCD did you see at compusa?

i work at one and i don't see it in our system anywhere.

if i can get one i'd love to demo it in our store too!

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
I noticed these where about, I'm wonder how well they perform.

Samsung makes one.

So does NEC LCD4000.

Maybe the release of the new Syntax 37inch will cause a price drop.

Has anyone seen the LCD4000 in action? Wonder how well it performs regarding to motion blur and black level detail. These where cited as weaknesses.

Mike

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sim2 had a model HTL40 they were showing at CEDIA, but it was definitely on the high-end of the spectrum with a resolution of 1366x768. I'd sure like to know who makes that panel.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Quote:
The NEC is not a TV and has no DVI/HDCP, as far as I know.
Well, neither are the comercial Panny and other sets people talk about on this forum. I fail to see your point. I do know the DVI/HDCP thing is an issue, but I believe there are work arounds for that issue.

Mike

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
"Well, neither are the comercial Panny and other sets people talk about on this forum. I fail to see your point."

All the Panasonics can have DVI/HDCP added easily and cheaply. That monitor cannot.

" I do know the DVI/HDCP thing is an issue, but I believe there are work arounds for that issue."

There are not work arounds if you want to use a digital connection.

Mark

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.