AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks for all of the good info in this forum. I've read all the threads on the 40XBR800 and I've got a question. Its sort of unfair, but i don't mind asking it. I'm building an 11'x13' home theater. It'll probably take me 1-2 years to really outfit it as i want w/ a very good DLP projector, screen, ...So, in the meantime i wanted to put in an 40XBR800. I love the box for all of the great reasons mentioned in this forum. The seating is directly in front of the "sweet spot" on RPTVs.

If you were to buy again and had a theater project, would you buy a larger, good quality RPTV (ie Mits, PElite) or a Sony 40XBR?

thanks.

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
Neither one I am very happy with my wide screen F-38310 with a height of 19 and a width of 33.25 inches of viewing area, rather than buying a foolscreen 4:3 Sony 40 inch analog not digital set. Have questions read the FAQ in my signature on FCC Federal Comunications Commission FAQ. :)

·
Registered
637 Posts
I'd buy the xbr personally, mainly because 90% of what I watch is still in 4x3. In fact, I think any of the Tube or RPTv's are too small for getting that "theater experience"from DVD or HD. My suggestion is to get the XBR, then in a couple years, add a DLP/Lcd projector to the mix with an electric, or manual pull down screen in front of the xbr. Best of both worlds, imo.

Not sure how Hob"s answer actually answers your question, (which was between RPTV's and The Xbr) but he is incorrect in stating that the XBR is an analog set, but I'm sure you knew that allready.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Steakdaddy, your question as given is very rough. Most people would decide between the big CRT and the RP sets based on size, or based on the different visual effects of CRT and RP screens. By asking the question, you seem to be telling us that these usual, obvious concerns are NOT going to be deciding factors for you. But then what DOES matter? I don't think this is something the rest of us can help you with, without knowing more about your priorities. (And I'm just curious about them, too; I would have decided on size and probably basic technological group just to narrow things down before even considering any other factors on specific models.)

If this is just a temporary setup until you can save the money for what you're really after, maybe you should just get the cheaper one?

If you haven't got your sound system put together yet and you consider their screen images to be of equal quality, maybe you should get the one with the best built-in speakers?

If you're equally happy with their audio and video performances, maybe you should get the one that looks best in place?

If you're going to be setting up your system piece by piece around it, maybe you should get the bigger one because it's a closer guide to what you'll eventually get?

If all else is equal, and especially if someone else in the home is going to use the thing, you should get whichever one comes with the easier-to-use remote control or the simpler menu system?

·
Registered
426 Posts
Gentlemen; To Hob anything in a 4:3 aspect is "foolscreen" and therefor is "analog"!! I suppose he watches Ben Hur or Lawrence of Arabia or most of the newer 2.35:1 aspect ratio films expanded to fill his 19"X33.25" screen!

RickE, I agree, screen (fixed/pulldown) and projector is the only was to go!

·
Registered
37 Posts
If the set is only temporary, I would get the 40XBR800...when the projector comes in, you could always move it to another room and it will be a wonderful secondary television...although I wouldn't be too thrilled about carrying 306lb ;)

·
Registered
426 Posts
Steakdaddy, I have been reading your posts here and on other threads and like Delvo, have been unwilling to make any comments regarding your "problem" You have a lot of real estate that not fully used; a "large" game room that will host a "large plasma". Why a big tv in a game room? People getting bored while playing pool or poker? Seems like an 11'X13' theater is rather small! If you put the RPTV at the long end, it will leave you with an 11'X11' seating area. I doubt if you want to sit closer than 4' from the RPTV...that leaves you a 7'X11' area good for at least two swivel recliners...oh, did I mention doors, windows, sound system etc etc?! Oh yes, you have childen...will they be content to watch the tv in the family room while the two of you cozy up in the HT with 5.1 DD soudtracks making the walls rattle! I could not watch a movie on my 40XBR800 if i did not have a first class sound system to go with it. What I think I am trying to tell you is that if you dont have a good 5.1 sound system and/or cannot afford the XBR 800 anda new sound system lower your sights and spend 1500 on a tv and 1500 on a sound system. Ifyou have $$ then get Professional advice it will pay in the long run

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Paul/Delvo. My initial question (which wasn't asked very well) was specific to my "family room". This system is for the family room, where my wife will be in the kitchen (hopefully :) viewing it. I'm scattered in many forums throughout this site. I'm building a new home and i'm putting in a dedicated FP theater, putting a plasma in my large game room, and now a XBR/RPTV in my family room. Sorry for the confusion. The real nut of my question was really geared toward current XBR owners. I think its an awesome set, and i do have issues w/ viewing angles, and i think the XBR would suffice very well. I've read Hob's entire thread and i'll respect his position.

My home isn't ready for 7mos, so i've got some time to decide. I appreciate all of the info though.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just to be clear, this is a non-issue for me right now, so no need to respond. I'll try to be clearer in future threads. Thanks all.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Don't you love how Hob tries to make everyone else buy the junk he bought trying to save a few bucks? Leaving the 4:3 and 16:9 debate out of it...the RCA is the biggest eyesoar in the HDTV family. Enough said.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.