AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a reasonable receiver that can handle M&K 4 ohm speakers. Doeas anyone have any recommendations? Thanks!

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
I'd go for one of the closeout specials on the Harman-Kardon AVR-520. OneCall was running them for $539, inc S&H. Don't know if that price is still available.

The NAD T742 should be able to handle them too.

Or consider going up to $650-$700 for a Sony DA4ES or closeout on their DA5ES.

Tom B.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was thinking about the YAmaha, as well as the Sony. What about the Kenwood 6070, or even the Denon 1803 or 2802? The Denons would be nice and cheap, but do they have enough power?

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
The Denon's aren't certified into a 4 ohm load. The Yamaha RX-V1300 is only certified down to 6 ohms into the center and surrounds.

Tom B.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Tom,

The 5803 is.. I had one for 6 months driving PSB Stratus Silveri's before upgrading to B&K seperates.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by S4Golfer
I'd LOVE a 5803 for about $600, but that may be a bit hard to find :D

Thanks anyway!
I'd buy some more 5803's too at that price! :D I just sold mine, for a profit, as I've decided to either upgrade to seperates or get the steal of a deal, HK 8000.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
The 5803 is, but the question was whether the 1803 or 2802 is 4-ohm compatible.

Tom B.

PS Just checked Denon's site, and they don't certify the 5803 for 4 ohm operation either. With it being a much more robust amp, it has a much better chance of driving a 4-ohm speaker without any nasty dips down to 2 ohms. But one could still run into problems.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
I looked at a Marantz 5300 but forgot to ask about impedence. I have the 2003 catalog and can't find any info on impedence. Does anyone know anything about this one? Also, Crazy Eddie still has really good pricing on receivers. Is it safe to buy from them?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Running M&K S-150's all around on a Denon 1801. Been doing it for over a year or so. Never had it overheat or shutdown.

For reference, I watch movies at -10 to -20 db. It is calibrated to 85 dbs at zero on the volume knob, but I rarely watch it at zero.

Not sure if am getting the best performance out of the M&K's (actually, somewhat certain that I am not....) Bought this amp just to tide me over until I get a Denon flagship, but never saved up enough money to catch up to their products.....

·
Premium Member
1,544 Posts
I bought from Crazy Eddie a year and a half ago - great results - still has three stars for customer support.

The Sonys are the only receivers (ES series) with a switch for 4 ohm impedance.

From reading this forum and others- the Dennon can handlle 4 ohm speakers but make sure you have a high enough power receiver so you are not stressing the amp that much. (I think I will go with Dennon(3803) for my M&K K Series speakers

(4ohm)

Also, I have read the Pioneer receivers do not handle 4 ohm speakers well at all.

(Most receiver can handle 4 ohms - but some speakers that are rated 4 ohms actually dip below 2 ohms at certain frequencies - and that is what drives the amps to overload.)

Reggie

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Over on the HT Talk forum someone told me that the Outlaw 1050 has a switch for 4 ohm and 8 ohm. From what I have read, the 1050 is a great unit. Only 65 wpc but that is a true 65 wpc. Also, Crazy Eddie has the Denon 2802 for $472 and the Denon site specifically rates it at 6 ohms. If Crazy Eddie is reputable, I'm probably going to try them. I have heard that they aren't authorized dealers for most of the lines they sell. I've got two Denon receivers now and have never had any problems.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Crazy Eddie is not the most reliable place. There are some on-line sites where customers rate their buying experience on dozens of e-tailers and Crazy Eddie is behind about 80% of them. Most of the complaints are about slow order fulfillment and difficulties in getting good customer service when you need to return something. A lot of people have good experiences with them, but most of their stuff is non-authorized sales and there are more problems than with most stores.

Tom B.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
OK, I now have two more confirmed possibilities. The Marantz 5300 can handle 4 ohms and I have a quote for $500. I think it was normally $600 a this particular store. Also, the Outlaw 1050 does have a specific 4 ohm switch and is $499.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I don't know if you saw my response to your other post, but the 5300 is not specifically rated for 4 ohms. I just received mine today, and the rear panel does say 6-16 ohms.

While I suspect you could drive 4 ohms at modest levels, I am almost certain the unit could not supply the current to sustain anywhere near rated 8-ohm power levels with multiple 4 ohm speakers...

Sure would have been nice in my situation if the HK 520 had a 6th amplifier channel and Dolby Digital EX, or if the 525 had a full array of main inputs. If you don't care about those aspects, I think the 320/520 and 325/525 are great choices, too.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Damn, I hate it when a sales person lies to me about stuff like that. This guy specifically told me that it could handle 4 ohms. I trust you guys more than the typical stereo salesman. I may just fork out the extra dough for the Sherwood Newcastle that I saw. Thanks guys.

Quote:
Originally posted by Darren_C
I don't know if you saw my response to your other post, but the 5300 is not specifically rated for 4 ohms. I just received mine today, and the rear panel does say 6-16 ohms.

While I suspect you could drive 4 ohms at modest levels, I am almost certain the unit could not supply the current to sustain anywhere near rated 8-ohm power levels with multiple 4 ohm speakers...

Sure would have been nice in my situation if the HK 520 had a 6th amplifier channel and Dolby Digital EX, or if the 525 had a full array of main inputs. If you don't care about those aspects, I think the 320/520 and 325/525 are great choices, too.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.