AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,

Need help picking a new receiver. I picked up a Pioneer Elite VSX-30 as it was on sale for $399 and it was sort of an impulse buy. Before I opened it, I started doing some more research online and now have become undecided on what I want to go with. Here is what I narrowed it down to:

1) Keep the VSX-30 - $399 from Best Buy

2) Onkyo TX-SR608 refurb directly from Onkyo $293

3) Denon AVR-2310CI refurb from eCost $350

I currently use an HK AVR430 that I got refurbed from Harman about 5 years ago and I LOVE it but I need HDMI switching. I also have bought an Onkyo refurb in another room that I havent had any issues with, so I have no prob buying a refurb. I have the Acoustech horn speakers and frankly just dont have time to go listen to all the receivers so I'm hoping I can get some input from the peeps in here. Thanks in Advance.

·
Registered
5,454 Posts
the Pioneer Elite VSX-30 is basically a re-badged version of the VSX-920, VSX-1020 = VSX-31, and the VSX-1120 = VSX-32.

One of the best Pioneer deals on the net right now is the VSX-1120 at Amazon. It would add about $90 to your budget, but give you almost every function you might need, network and internet radio, and pre-outs ---- http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-VSX-11...0995589&sr=1-1

The Onkyo or the Denon (this is last years model without 3D HDMI 1.4a) would be good choices as well if networking and pre-outs are not required

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, but isnt the Elite a high current receiver? Wont that produce a warmer more pleasant sound?

·
Registered
3,007 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trnst7 /forum/post/19562698

Yes, but isnt the Elite a high current receiver? Wont that produce a warmer more pleasant sound?

No. You'd be hard pressed to hear a difference between receivers running in Pure mode and levels matched. That said, the EQ will impact the sound quite a bit and in this case, all Pioneer receivers use MCACC. In short, buy a receiver based on features and price.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts