AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was in Best Buy last night (Magnolia section) and saw a $418 8-meter HDMI cable last night. I know they frequently rip people off with a $75-100 cable that is equivalent in video quality to a $10 one from monoprice.

Is there any application at all for a cable that expensive? (Like with a $10,000 video process or something?) I just don't understand how they take advantage of people like that.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
The cheaper cables don't create as pleasing sound/video because they spit out inferior 0's and 1's. The cheaper cables produce the same 0's and 1's, but they are not as pleasing

Buy a high speed HDMI cable from monoprice for a few bucks, and it will probably work flawlessly. HDMI.org only has two categories high speed and not high speed (I think you need a variation with ethernet support if you need that capability.)

Sometimes people will see errors in HDMI, which you may hear called sparklies, but it seems to be rare, and you certainly don't need an expensive HDMI cable to fix it.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
My $400 cable is better than your cable. It brings me my slippers and makes popcorn on movie nights. Last week it even made a beer run.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
The only thing that might be a little different between cables would be build quality. And even so, it's not worth a $400 dollar difference. I've got about 30 HDMI cables right now, some monoprice, some Monster, some GE, some other generics. They all look the same, to my eyes. I have seen white sparkles before on one of my cheap cables, but it was just a bad cable, had nothing to do with it being a cheap cable.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ha ha. This is what I thought, but I wanted to make sure that I wasn't missing something.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts