AVS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a Yamaha 399 HTIB - I have had terrible handshake issues with the receiver. I even sent it in for repair and it came back working just the same. I'm through with it. Three months later and I have the same problems. It has been pretty discouraging...

I already have an HTD L2 center channel and plan to build around that, replacing everything (even receiver if necessary) in time - it's just that money is pretty tight right now, and I have a definite budget, so I can't piece it all together now.

Can anybody recommend another HTIB setup for ~$400?

·
Registered
17,937 Posts
By handshake issues are you referring to CEC? CEC is problematic on a lot of receivers because there aren't any standards on how it's to be implemented, so how well it works will vary from mfr to mfr. If it is CEC you are talking about, just disable it and get a programmable remote like a Harmony. I have the same receiver (actually the RX-V371) and it's been perfect and trouble free.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, when I turn everything on, I get no audio/video when passing through my receiver to my TV. It worked fine for a couple months, but then started getting screwy. No matter which order I turn things on/off in, no audio/video. Until some magical random moment when it decides it wants to work. Then I unplug things or turn something off, and get the same issue.

Using the receiver through ARC works perfectly, as does hooking up my PC to my TV directly. But then I can't bitstream, and changing settings on the receiver causes my input to change to display the receiver menu.

·
Registered
7,002 Posts
You already have the HTD L2 center. I would spend $200 on receiver and 200 on HTD L2 bookshelf speakers. Then add a Dayton Sub-1000 / 1200 . In the end you will have a much better system.

Probably can use your current HTIB speakers as surrounds

In all honestly though it sounds like you are asking alot from a cheapo receiver... Spending a bit more might get you better features you want. Just buy from a store that has a great return policy.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would definitely do that, but I believe I'm taking back this system, so I wouldn't have any of the speakers to use.

Thank you for the suggestions! That sounds like a great plan. Where can I get a $200 receiver that's better than mine (HTR-3066)? I believe this one is $200 if you purchase it alone.

lastly, I don't believe I'm asking very much of this system. HDMI passthrough is all I desire, and I'd be fine with the sound of this setup.

·
Registered
7,002 Posts
What all are you hooking up to your receiver (video/audio devices)?

My suggest is a long term suggestion to build a better set-up that will last you.

HDMI Passthrough of what? (Many different passthroughs available so you have to specify)

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The only device I connect to the receiver is my PC. I use passthrough by connecting my PC to the receiver, then the receiver to my TV. That's all I do - you'd think the simplest of receivers should definitely be able to do this.

Any suggestions for a ~$200 receiver?

·
Registered
17,937 Posts
Personally I don't believe that the RX-V373 is a cheapo receiver. It's a solid, entry level receiver for the budget minded.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That's what I thought. I still think it's a great receiver as well! I just have these terrible passthrough problems that I simply cannot live with.

I've been searching for receivers that are ~$200 and have had no luck so far. Any recommendations would be appreciated beyond measure!

My only requirements are HDMI passthrough and power equal to/greater than my current receiver.

·
Registered
7,002 Posts
HDMI passthrough of WHAT? HDMI 4k passthrough, 3-D passthough, Audio? There are many different things that can be passed through.

$200 is cheapo for any receiver. You can't expect much. And I am personally not a fan of Yamaha's budget models even their entry Aventage model. Yamaha receivers stuggle to make the power they claim they put out. Don't believe the companies stated power claims, they are rarely accurate. Only company I have seen be close to accurate is Denon.

For $200 range receivers look at:

- Refurbished Sony STR-DH540
-Factory Refurbished DENON AVR-E300 5.1 3D receiver
-Factory Refurbished DENON AVR-1613 5.1ch Networking Receiver w/AirPlay 3D ready , $230, but for the extra money you are getting something worth it in features

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My apologies - HDMI passthrough of 1080p video with DTS/PCM audio, nothing like 3D or 4k.

I was actually looking at an AVR-E300 before you posted. Isn't the E300 the newer "version" of the 1613?

·
Registered
7,002 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by clanderson  /t/1523526/400-starter-setup#post_24512684

My apologies - HDMI passthrough of 1080p video with DTS/PCM audio, nothing like 3D or 4k.

I was actually looking at an AVR-E300 before you posted. Isn't the E300 the newer "version" of the 1613?
yeah you are right about the e300 being the replacement for the 1613, don't know why the 1613 is more expensive then.

The Denon would be my purchase.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts