AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Say you decided to spend another $400 for an upgrade to your theater, what would you buy? I'm trying to decide between a Darblet, an A-lens (I am able to get a current model for a very good price, though it is slightly damaged but not such that it will affect the picture) and another subwoofer. What would you get? It doesn't have to be any of these, either.


I currently have an RS20, 120" CIH screen, 7.1 surround system with JBL Pro cinema speakers. I'm leaning toward the A-lens so that I don't have to zoom anymore and so that I don't lose any more brightness.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,067 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosteh  /t/1436064/400-to-spend-what-upgrade-would-you-get#post_22533428


Say you decided to spend another $400 for an upgrade to your theater, what would you buy? I'm trying to decide between a Darblet, an A-lens (I am able to get a current model for a very good price, though it is slightly damaged but not such that it will affect the picture) and another subwoofer. What would you get? It doesn't have to be any of these, either.

I currently have an RS20, 120" CIH screen, 7.1 surround system with JBL Pro cinema speakers. I'm leaning toward the A-lens so that I don't have to zoom anymore and so that I don't lose any more brightness.

I would get the Darblet unless you have found a great deal on the Panamorph UH480 anamorphic lens. You didn't say which lens, which lens is it?


Mike
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31,219 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosteh  /t/1436064/400-to-spend-what-upgrade-would-you-get#post_22533428


Say you decided to spend another $400 for an upgrade to your theater, what would you buy? I'm trying to decide between a Darblet, an A-lens (I am able to get a current model for a very good price, though it is slightly damaged but not such that it will affect the picture) and another subwoofer. What would you get? It doesn't have to be any of these, either.

I currently have an RS20, 120" CIH screen, 7.1 surround system with JBL Pro cinema speakers. I'm leaning toward the A-lens so that I don't have to zoom anymore and so that I don't lose any more brightness.

I think I would get the A-lens at that price point. Which lens are you talking about?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've been asked not say other than it is a current model from one of the three main companies (ISCO, Panamorph, Schneider). It isn't without some defects, but they shouldn't affect my setup given my current throw and screen size.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh! Other option is to get a MiniDSP to protect and EQ my JBL 4645C, which needs a high pass at 20Hz to protect the driver and a 6dB boost at 25Hz to get a little more from the low end.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,429 Posts
Put it in the bank.






Sorry, couldn't help myself.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bass addict  /t/1436064/400-to-spend-what-upgrade-would-you-get#post_22533605


Put it in the bank.


Sorry, couldn't help myself.

Good god I haven't seen that movie in ages. Time to dig out the VHS player.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,394 Posts
if you can get an UH480 for that price...jump on it. I just got one and love it. Nowhere near that price though. Mine has a scratch on the front lens but it is out of the light path.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,128 Posts
What's a "Darblet" really good for?

Sorry but I've been too busy to follow the AVS scene, and see "Darblet" showing up here and there in posts.


I've got the Sony VW60, so if the "Darblet" does wonders is it worthwhile me as upgrade tweak also?


If there is a "Darblet" discussion thread point me there and I'll get some reading done.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21,464 Posts
Things are pretty slow on the forum. Thanks for livening things up with your question.


My answer is obvious. You don't really need an A lens but you getting it for a steal. Buy it and put it on fleabay and you will make enough to pay for all your other choices combined. There is no other correct answer to your question other than the means to initiate the sale.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,067 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbdudex  /t/1436064/400-to-spend-what-upgrade-would-you-get#post_22534363


What's a "Darblet" really good for?

Sorry but I've been too busy to follow the AVS scene, and see "Darblet" showing up here and there in posts.

I've got the Sony VW60, so if the "Darblet" does wonders is it worthwhile me as upgrade tweak also?

If there is a "Darblet" discussion thread point me there and I'll get some reading done.

You can read about the Darblet in the video processor forum. Its like it lifts a veil and makes the image sharper without any side effects providing you don't turn it up too high. For the price every projector owner should have one.


Mike
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,306 Posts
I recently purchased a darbee used here on the forum. I have used it on 3 different projectors and i can say without a doubt that it is a real improvement on each projector i have used it with, I thought with my new sony hw50 i may not need it since it is very sharp and detailed with the new reality creation settings. I was wrong, the darbee still makes it look even better. The difference is not night and day but still a subtle improvement imo.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,505 Posts
I have seen a guy selling B or even C stock Panamorph lenses on Videogon. I know he has had both UH380 and UH480 lenses. If it's a 480 then I say go for it. If it's a 380 then skip it becuase you may have problems with your RS20. The UH380 had issues with light scatter and ghosting when used with the JVC projectors. The UH480 fixed the problem in addition to being a better lens. If I could find one at that price point I would be all over it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've decided to jump on the lens. Since I've never owned one, I'm going to see how much of an improvement it is. If it's night and day, I'm sure I could find another good home for one. However, I've heard nothing about great things for a-lenses, especially on aging projectors like my RS20 which could do to keep all the lumens it can.


I'm just waiting for FedEx to pay me for a claim and then I'll hop on it!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,505 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosteh  /t/1436064/400-to-spend-what-upgrade-would-you-get#post_22537035


I've decided to jump on the lens. Since I've never owned one, I'm going to see how much of an improvement it is. If it's night and day, I'm sure I could find another good home for one. However, I've heard nothing about great things for a-lenses, especially on aging projectors like my RS20 which could do to keep all the lumens it can.

I'm just waiting for FedEx to pay me for a claim and then I'll hop on it!

Well, if it's a UH480 and you decide not to keep it, let me know.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21,464 Posts
Like anything else, there are pluses and minuses to use of an anamorphic lens. The biggest negative is the need to scale vertically and the odd scale that has to be used. The 480 is certainly not a great anamorphic, decent but not great.


What? I have one and I think its great.


Its OK. I personally think you should buy it, sell it for three times the price you are paying and buy all the other stuff you are considering.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,505 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich  /t/1436064/400-to-spend-what-upgrade-would-you-get#post_22537425


Like anything else, there are pluses and minuses to use of an anamorphic lens. The biggest negative is the need to scale vertically and the odd scale that has to be used. The 480 is certainly not a great anamorphig, decent but not great. What?. I have one and I think its great. Its OK. I personally think you should buy it, sell it for three times the price you are paying ang buy all the other stuff you are considering.

What do you mean "odd scale"?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21,464 Posts
The vertical scale is not an interger number multiplier. You have to vertically scale the image by a factor of 1.33, the scaling is done internally or can be done externally if the projector does not include a vertical external scaller, the horizontal scale is done optically by the anamorphic lens. This odd scale is difficult and severely messes with the vertical pixels.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Mark, you seem to be contradicting yourself. You have a UH480 and think it's great, but you say it's not a great lens. Which is it? Also, I'm not going to simply sell the lens for a profit. That's dishonest and then I don't have a lens. My original question is the only one I want answered, not plans contingent on me selling the lens.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31,219 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosteh  /t/1436064/400-to-spend-what-upgrade-would-you-get#post_22539290


Mark, you seem to be contradicting yourself. You have a UH480 and think it's great, but you say it's not a great lens. Which is it? Also, I'm not going to simply sell the lens for a profit. That's dishonest and then I don't have a lens. My original question is the only one I want answered, not plans contingent on me selling the lens.

Mark does not use a lens. he has a VW1000ES. What he is saying, is the projector has to do scaling (vertical stretch) for an A-lens to be used. I use a Lumagen for the vertical stretch, because the Lumagen does a much better job with the vertical stretch compared to my projector. With the Lumagen doing the vertical stretch and the A-lens doing the horizontal stretch, my image is very sharp.
 
1 - 20 of 65 Posts
Top