AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings AVS...

It has been awhile since I logged into the forums.

I am researching a 1080P projector for civic association meetings and have been looking at the Optoma EH500.

I would welcome any feedback on this projector as well as any alternatives we should consider.

I know business/data projectors falls outside the usual discussion, but I welcome any feedback.

I'm still rocking my Sony VW90 SXRD 1080p projector in the home theater, waiting for it to fail so I have a good reason to consider something in 4K.

I hope everyone is doing well.

Cheers

Byte

·
Banned
3,901 Posts
Dell has a new laser projector with 5400 lumens, lasts 20k hours, doesn't dim over its lifetime, and 3 grand retail:

http://www.projectorcentral.com/dell-7760-projector-review-1.htm

If you end up buying one, do us a favor and share your impressions with us, k? I'm curious.

It's got some neat features like video over network too, which could be handy in a corporate environment. (RJ-45 goes way further than HDMI).

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
Business projectors need about 80-100 advertised lumens per square foot of screen space. Without knowing the actual screen size you are working with, then it's really difficult to give a recommendation. It's also impossible to know if your request for 5,000 lumens is accurate, or far more/less than what you need.

A huge issue, is the cheaper DLP models use 2x color wheels and have horrendous color. If you have LCoS, then you are looking at phenomenal color. DLP 2x color wheels can match it, but typically give up 2/3 of their brightness to get the color back. So, 4,500 lumens becomes 1,500 lumens or less with good color.

This is where LCD and LCoS projectors excel in business setups.

Worth adding that 1920x1200 has become a nearly defacto business standard. They are designed so you can use 16:9 or 16:10 screens so they work at either 1920x1200 or 1920x1080. These are the real working horse projectors in the business world. So, make sure you are looking at them as well.

I would stick with LCD in a second over the cheaper DLP models. I would also start my search at the Epson Clearance website.
https://epson.com/Clearance-Center/Projectors-for-Work/c/cc302?q=:price-asc:discontinuedFlag:false:inStockFlag:true:Projectors+Facets,Resolution:WUXGA+Full+HD+widescreen&text=#scrollTgt_onRefresh

They have some great options from under $2,000 with 4,500 lumens up to 6,000 lumens. I would take any of them over that Optoma for sure.

·
Registered
9,803 Posts
For an honest 5,000 color lumens, which the Optoma EH500 can't come close to due to being DLP, I would opt for the new Epson PowerLite 2250U. On top of 5,000 honest maximum color lumens it even has a lamp that's rated for 5,000 hours in normal and 10,000 hours in Eco, and genuine OEM replacement lamps can be purchased directly from Epson for just $99. For an MSRP of $1,599 I don't think any other bright room light cannon can touch this baby. :)

epson.com/For-Work/Projectors/Meeting-Room/PowerLite-2250U-Wireless-Full-HD-WUXGA-3LCD-Projector-/p/V11H871020

·
Banned
3,901 Posts
At those prices for projector and the lamp, that seems like a really solid recommendation. I'd also look at noise too. Having a noisy projector is just as distracting during a board meeting as it is during a horror movie.

·
Registered
6,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thank you so much... your comments have been very helpful. I will be sure to report once I can get our group to commit to the final price range. Right now, the Epson 2250/2255 is looking like a good lower cost alternative with just enough lumens and resolution to do the job.

I can control room lighting at front of house to assist the performance at the projection screen.

I visited a friend who owns a staging company and I was able to compare an Epson 1915 XGA to a Christie MD-HD 10K. They rent the 1915 for $300 and the Christie for $1500. You definitely get more performance for the $$$.

I also looked at a Christie LX1000 XGA, and it was only marginally better than the 1915. Although the LX1000 had a fall 2015 Lamp and the Epson had a new lamp, so maybe a newer lamp in the LX1000 would have offered more lumen output.

Below is a pic of the Christie MD-HD 10K on the left, and the Epson 1915 XGA on the right. Both projecting from about 25' making roughly 15' wide screens. While the Christie was clearly the better image, the 1915 was not bad. I can only imagine the 1980/1985/2250/2255 having better resolution than the 1915 but with similar brightness.

I'd note the Christie was a 3-DPL panel and the 1915 3LCD panel.

Not sure how much my Galaxy S7 camera is helping the left/right screens look closer to each other in brightness. I say this because the comparison in person had the 1915 (on the right) being dimmer in comparison than the photo.

Both projectors were able to support a mirror image from my Samsung Android tablet using the Belkin Miracast dongle and it too looked great as a source for meetings.

On other note... while the 1915 could fit in a brief case, the Christie projectors comes in nice big ATA case and requires two people to left.

Thank again and I'll add more comments as I go one way or another.

Byte

·
Registered
9,803 Posts
That Christie LX1000 had an MSRP of $18,000 when new. For the cost of one day's rental of the LX1000 you could own one of the Epson 5,000 lumen models. :)

·
Registered
6,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Indeed...

... I'm discussing the possibility of a $2500 grant from our County Councilman because this hardware would be used to support County Land Use meetings we co-host with the County. If we could get that $$$ kind of a grant, I'd probably spring for the 2255U or 2265U versions which are a tiny bit brighter yet have better networking functions.

Then we would also pick up a 100-150w portable PA system with a "good" wireless mic.

Then we would have most of the bases covered for our meetings of 50-200 people in our 50' x 50' meeting hall.

·
Banned
1,032 Posts
Greetings AVS...

It has been awhile since I logged into the forums.

I am researching a 1080P projector for civic association meetings and have been looking at the Optoma EH500.

I would welcome any feedback on this projector as well as any alternatives we should consider.

I know business/data projectors falls outside the usual discussion, but I welcome any feedback.

I'm still rocking my Sony VW90 SXRD 1080p projector in the home theater, waiting for it to fail so I have a good reason to consider something in 4K.

I hope everyone is doing well.

Cheers

Byte
I work in the education industry so we sample and buy/rent a lot of projectors for presentation and business purposes. It will depend on the size of your projection, if your audience is going to be under 40 people then you don't need to invest more than $1500 if you're just projecting text, some pictures and the odd video or two. Most clients won't care about black details and FI unless you happen to be a 3D/animation/design company.

If you're going to have over 40 people then you'll probably need to look at the higher lumen projectors to project to larger screens and a light controlled room (which IMO is the most important factor). I still wouldn't try to spend too much money, just find the right projector at a good price that can do the job and nothing more. A lesson learnt from the past, out of 4 or 5 projectors we looked at for a university requesting for a replacement, we chose the brightest and more expensive projector at the time only to find that the resolution became outdated the following year. It wasn't a big issue at the time but that projector became obsolete more quickly and it wasn't worth the thousands we spent on it. Changes in technology are constant and not everybody can afford to keep up with it.

·
Banned
3,901 Posts
It seems like they need a data-grade projector which probably rules out any Faux-K models, and true 4K models are too expensive for this budget (so far, maybe by CEDIA in the fall? doubtful but possible).

I would still get the Dell laser one, why? Because true 1080p DLPs are razor sharp for text and graphics, have no motion blur, and no lamp dimming means always reliable brightness, no downtime or worries that it won't work after a few years. Having had a few bulb "incidents" I would get a laser projector for 100% uptime required scenarios. Of course who knows if Dell is the company to achieve this, projection is not their area of specialty. Noise may be a concern. Like I said, in boardroom meetings quiet projectors are needed. Silence is golden.

Of course, maybe just grabbing an Epson 1440 would do the trick at half the price of the Dell laser and the money saved can be spent on lamps and electric drop-down shades. Depends on what the rest of the budget is, if any.

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
It seems like they need a data-grade projector which probably rules out any Faux-K models, and true 4K models are too expensive for this budget (so far, maybe by CEDIA in the fall? doubtful but possible).

I would still get the Dell laser one, why? Because true 1080p DLPs are razor sharp for text and graphics, have no motion blur, and no lamp dimming means always reliable brightness, no downtime or worries that it won't work after a few years. Having had a few bulb "incidents" I would get a laser projector for 100% uptime required scenarios. Of course who knows if Dell is the company to achieve this, projection is not their area of specialty. Noise may be a concern. Like I said, in boardroom meetings quiet projectors are needed. Silence is golden.

Of course, maybe just grabbing an Epson 1440 would do the trick at half the price of the Dell laser and the money saved can be spent on lamps and electric drop-down shades. Depends on what the rest of the budget is, if any.
It is worth noting that Dell has a horrible service history. They don't make their own projectors and the second they stop selling a model, they often stop supporting it. So, anything outside of warranty often leaves people completely out of luck. I have been happy with my Dell products over the years, but for a while they were hot on projectors and I heard a few too many horror stories from people who got burned by them for service and support.

Have you read anything about the 7760? It certainly does seem like an interesting delivery. But, if it only hits 3,000 real world lumens, then what's the point? If it hits the full 5,400 lumens, or comes close, with decent color, and Dell sticks behind it, then that's a pretty crazy good deal.

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd&sku=210-AJRG

·
Banned
3,901 Posts
If it only does 3000 real world lumens then somebody should sue them for false advertising. That goes for the rest of the industry as well. But if it's 5400 lumens uncalibrated, who cares? If it's for data, like pie charts and such, you don't really need an accurate picture. I'm OK with companies publishing lumens figures for their default torch mode and let users decide if they want to trade lumens for accuracy.

Agree about customer service though, that would give me pause certainly.

·
Registered
9,803 Posts
There are good reasons why Epson projectors are almost always recommended as the best all-around bright room light cannons. First of all, when independently tested with calibrated equipment Epsons almost always produce more white and color lumens than advertised, not less. Second, Epson has a reputation for the best warranty service in the projector industry. Finally, with $99 Epson replacement lamps it should be no issue to buy a spare and always have a replacement on hand. The OP is smart to be considering the Epson 2255U and 2265U as the top options for his stated requirements. ;)

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
If it only does 3000 real world lumens then somebody should sue them for false advertising. That goes for the rest of the industry as well. But if it's 5400 lumens uncalibrated, who cares? If it's for data, like pie charts and such, you don't really need an accurate picture. I'm OK with companies publishing lumens figures for their default torch mode and let users decide if they want to trade lumens for accuracy.

Agree about customer service though, that would give me pause certainly.
I'm all in as well about the possibility of a lawsuit coming up against projector manufacturers for this false advertising. Unfortunately, advertised lumens don't actually have any clear standard for measurement. That is, a LED light, which puts out 400 lumens at the bulb, and you use one red, green, and blue bulb, technically generates 1,200 lumens. But, after the light path, and the lens, it only delivers 500 lumens. So, in our world, it's a 500 lumen projector, but to advertisers, it's a 1,200 lumen projector, and can potentially be demonstrated as actually delivering 1,200 lumens. This really almost is a political topic because this is the exact reason why we need government regulation. To protect consumers from manufacturers who choose to use creative advertising techniques.

Even then, how do you measure lumens after the lens? Torch model at the widest zoom? Independently calibrated mid-zoom with +/- zoom distances/brightness?

Pretty much the same for contrast.

Anyway, the rule for commercial projection, indoors, is pretty standard. 80-100 advertised lumens per square foot for acceptable results. That Dell seems completely awesome, but there are Epsons for $1,000 less, and that certainly covers a few replacement lamps.

Pretty awesome either way.

·
Banned
3,901 Posts
Regulations against false advertising are only common sense, everybody has been burner by that at some point, so it's absurd how this would be even controversial whatsoever but you're right. People love giving corporations the right to bend them over their knee and get away with anything. Without laws and regulations, there would be no markets period, only chaos, so the idea that one can have a "free market" is a complete fabrication on its face. I'm pro-capitalism but there are limits, and without them, you can and will get corporations exploiting people for their hard earned dollars and not delivering on what they promise.

I just don't get why anyone would be in favor of letting them do that. And it's not like giving companies free reign would self-regulate by consumers punishing those who do such things, in the end, as we all know, all you get are monopolies and price-fixing scams. I don't envy people living in the States right now, their internet and cable fees are about to get even higher and more exploitative thanks to net neutrality being gutted. Yay for being broke and "free"! Err free, to have only one choice for cable provider which then acts like Rogers does in that episode of South Park.

For the Dell laser projector, I'm curious about seeing if it's possible to buy their light source on its own and somehow plug that into my w1070 and put it all in a small HTPC case, maybe replace the lens and blower fan while I'm at it. I've managed to dial in my projector quite nicely as is, with 71.928 hz refresh rate.

·
Registered
6,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just a heads up...

We have decided to go with the Epson Powerlite 2255U.

WUXGA format (1900x1200)
5000 Lumens
5000/10000 lamp hour rating
Wireless support including MHL/MiraCast for Android and Windows devices.

The 2265U was rated at 5500 Lumens, but with the cost savings we are buying a spare lamp and a 70x70 portable da-lite screen.

Thanks for all of the input in our search for a projector solution for our community meetings.

Byte

·
Registered
6,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
@Bytehoven, please come back and tell us how the Epson Powerlite 2255U works for you. This is a new model that many people may be interested in. :)

Will do.I hope to place the order on Friday and take deliver on Monday/Tuesday. Then use it at a meeting in a 50x50 room of 100+ people on Thursday.

I have a Belkin MiraCast dongle I already use with my Samsung S7 and Samsung Tablet with HDMI equipped displays. I am curious to see the MHL/MiraCast feature set on the 2255U. The Belikin operates like it's own network and does not require a host network to screen share like a Chrome Cast and other such devices. Thus the Belkin can be used where a network is not available, which is awesome.

Byte

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
Just a heads up...

We have decided to go with the Epson Powerlite 2255U.

WUXGA format (1900x1200)
5000 Lumens
5000/10000 lamp hour rating
Wireless support including MHL/MiraCast for Android and Windows devices.

The 2265U was rated at 5500 Lumens, but with the cost savings we are buying a spare lamp and a 70x70 portable da-lite screen.

Thanks for all of the input in our search for a projector solution for our community meetings.

Byte
Why a 70x70 screen? For slides, square screens make sense, and you can adjust the height, but that's pretty small. Just wondering more than anything else. Maybe it's as big as they offer?

·
Registered
6,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Why a 70x70 screen? For slides, square screens make sense, and you can adjust the height, but that's pretty small. Just wondering more than anything else. Maybe it's as big as they offer?
Part of the issue is easy of transport of the system pieces. At a 72" travel length, that's a nice fit in my 2013 Durango with the 2nd/3rd row seats down. I could go out to 83" max length. For the size room and crowds, even a 70" wide screen (larger diagonal) is a huge improvement over the flip charts and dry erase boards presenters might typically use to present.

That being said, I'd welcome any suggests as an alternative to the da-lite 72263 or 93870 (carpeted) I have in mind.

Epson had a screen that appeared to open horizontally, but it had some poor reviews as far as uniform flatness of the screen when open.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts