Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 4040 + 200G drive added 6months-1year ago. Here's what happened:

Wife was watching a show. At the end of the show it prompted to delete the show. She highlighted delete and hit select. The screen went black and would no longer respond to the remote or front panel buttons.

I held down the power button and rebooted. Machine booted up fine and changes the cable box to the last channel it was on. I was able to bring up the channel guide and then the guide froze on the screen and would not exit.

After that it would respond to nothing except power commands from remote. Turning it off would kill the video but the red power led stayed on. Same from front panel.

Then I power cycled it. Same. Power cycled off 5 minutes. Same.

Anyone experience similar?

I still have the image of the original drive from before I upgraded. Can I try to restore that?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Its working now. Heres what I did...

Call a friend and see if his replay is still working ( thinking D&M shut something down). Nope, his still works.

Get online & look for others with a similar problem in the avsforum.

Post problem to avsforum in hopes someone has the answer.

Dig thru old posts and start making plans to rip out the drive.

Go back down stairs to unplug it for the night. Decide to check it one more time, - its working.

Obvisouly I need to work on my trouble shooting skills.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
I have seen this before. Just shut it off normally and walk away. Come back in several minutes and its OK. I think the unit encounters some sort of corruption or something and it goes through some sort of recovery routine that is best left undisturbed.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK, so I wasn't crazy. What appears to be happening is everytime I delete a show the machine hangs for about 5-6 minutes then it will respond to the remote again. If you delete a show from the menu that pops up at the end of the show, it hangs on a black screen. If you delete one from the guide it hangs with the guide on the screen.

Could I have a drive going bad?

I have the original image I created before I upgraded the drive.

Should I reload that image? Or Reimage/backup, lowlevel format and reinstall.

One thing i never did do was a lowlevel format of the new drive.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.