Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I was watching my VCR - using it as a tuner for my cable TV service - because my 4040 was recording something (don't know what), and I notice, out of the corner of my eye, that it was rebooting. I have no idea why - noone was touching the remote or anything and there was no power problems (I would've noticed).

Anyway, once it had booted up, it will no longer tune to *any* channels. I have it configured for direct-in cable TV using the internal tuner, and for control of the digital tv tuner box. It will change channels but nothing is shown on the TV. I can play previously recorded shows OK (they all seem to be still there), but nothing from the cable inputs. I can watch cable TV using my VCR as a tuner, so I know it's all still on the cable.

What's up? Anyone else seen this and have any suggestions?

Is there a SYSLOG or /var/log/messages type file/view anywhere? I would like to know if that reboot was planned or was a system crash.

Max.

·
Registered
202 Posts
First step I always take after initial config step on replay unit is to unplug the replay unit for a few minutes then plug back in a re-try. That has worked for other people so I would give a try.

As for why it rebooted. There is a reboot automatically done every 2 days or so.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Whew, I didn't realize I had been a lurker for so long. But I registered now and can respond, 'cuz I know how to fix this one!

You most likely have a corrupted recording claiming your space. If your disk is full the tuner cannot buffer and display. you might be able to toggle "bypass" and see video - which would confirm this.

Also check in the guide for the display of how much reocrding time you have remaining. Or 243-zones and toggle the space indicator.

If you have no space, check that your most recently recorded shows are actually there (eg watch them, then delete). Once you delete a few shows try to use the tuner again.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Same thing happened to my 4504 this weekend. OTA tuner wouldn't work. A 5 second push on the power button, 2 minutes of flashing lights, and I was back in business. Not sure why it happened. My HD wasn't anywhere near full and the unit hadn't been on in over three hours.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
...I tried it this morning and it was working fine.

Either it fixed itself, or my roommate did a power cycle.

I had done a reboot from the front panel, but that didn't make any difference.

Thanks everyone.

Max.

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
When I'm doing a real reboot, always yank power and then plug it back in. I call that a 'hard boot' :) (versus soft boot which would be pressing power button on unit)

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nope, apparently, my roommate didn't power cycle my 4040....so this is a mysterious one where the problem 'just went away'.

Strange...

Max.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.