AVS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got 40GB ps3 and is it suppose to kick in 2nd gear fan after turning it on for about 10 minutes? Although, you can't hear the fan if your tv volume is above average, and it's quiet compared to my last 60GB, I'm pretty disappointed... many people described 40GB's fan as dead silent and does not kick beyond 1st gear.

Just to let you know, I have CECHH. I've heard S/N starting with CF does not have the same issue. Should I try exchanging it for the one with CF?

·
Read the FAQ!
36,027 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeonmx /forum/post/14177051

Just got 40GB ps3 and is it suppose to kick in 2nd gear fan after turning it on for about 10 minutes? Although, you can't hear the fan if your tv volume is above average, and it's quiet compared to my last 60GB, I'm pretty disappointed... many people described 40GB's fan as dead silent and does not kick beyond 1st gear.

If it does that while playing Blu-Ray movies then it is likely defective. If the unit is out in the open and your room temperature is in the 70's and it does that while playing Blu-Ray movies then it is definitely defective.

If you can't just exchange it where you got it, we've had posts here stating that Sony is swapping out noisy 40GB PS3s under warranty.

There is no reason for you to put up with a noisy 40GB PS3. Exchange it.

--Bob

·
Registered
103 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeonmx /forum/post/14177051

Just to let you know, I have CECHH. I've heard S/N starting with CF does not have the same issue. Should I try exchanging it for the one with CF?
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1043590

·
Registered
3,607 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau /forum/post/14177059

If it does that while playing Blu-Ray movies then it is likely defective. If the unit is out in the open and your room temperature is in the 70's and it does that while playing Blu-Ray movies then it is definitely defective.

If you can't just exchange it where you got it, we've had posts here stating that Sony is swapping out noisy 40GB PS3s under warranty.

There is no reason for you to put up with a noisy 40GB PS3. Exchange it.

--Bob

There are now five different threads in the Blu-ray players forum with the following titles: "Cooler running PS3 this fall", "40GB fan rant", "PS3 fan noise comparison", "Keeping PS3 cool, any suggestions?" and "Who has PS3 external cooling fan". That suggests that either there are A LOT of defective units out there or yours is a rare exception to the rule. I keep exchanging my PS3s with audible fan noise, and I keep getting PS3s with audible fan noise. What are you doing differently from the rest of us?

·
Registered
228 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bferr1 /forum/post/14178418

There are now five different threads in the Blu-ray players forum with the following titles: "Cooler running PS3 this fall", "40GB fan rant", "PS3 fan noise comparison", "Keeping PS3 cool, any suggestions?" and "Who has PS3 external cooling fan". That suggests that either there are A LOT of defective units out there or yours is a rare exception to the rule. I keep exchanging my PS3s with audible fan noise, and I keep getting PS3s with audible fan noise. What are you doing differently from the rest of us?

It's my opinion (and I own 2 40 GB PS3's, bought 7 months apart) that the stock firmware allows almost silent operation (I assume this would be the fan's 1st gear), but as soon as you update the firmware, the fan speed is always audible (I assume 2nd gear). I have NEVER heard either of my 40's go into 3rd gear (if there even is one). Now, it isn't so loud during a movie that I am looking for another alternative to the PS3 as a Blu-Ray player, but it IS clearly audible.

I wish it could run in 1st gear all the time.

Of course, this is only my own theory, and YMMV...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
^ That's exactly what happened to mine. During the firmware update, the fan kicks in 2nd gear. And it will always go second gear after 10 minutes of powering on the ps3 now.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I have done 5 or 6 updates now still quiet still in a stack of components with only the front and back open to air. Its on top of three components, a digital amp that isn't too hot as far as receivers go, a very hot dvr, then there is a HD DVD player that is off when the ps3 is used. Even in 80 degree ambient temps its quiet.

·
Registered
6,040 Posts
FWIW:

I have a 40GB PS3 in a dedicated room with a very low noise floor.

With no movie playing I cannot hear the PS3 fan from more than 3 feet away and even when standing directly in front of it the fan is very unobtrusive. I haven't measured it but my center seat is about 8 or 9 feet from the rack. I have never noticed fan noise when pausing a movie.

I have updated the firmware twice since buying the PS3 a couple of months ago, no noticeable change in fan noise here.

My equipment rack is open and placed in a 3' by 3' by 8' niche we built into the wall. The "ceiling" of the niche is sloped and there are no external cooling fans. From bottom to top, the rack has an Anthem A5 amp, PS3, HDTV tuner, Tosh D3, Anthem D2 and a Denon 5910 on top.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Perhaps firmware does have something to do with it. I disticntly remember my older PS3 being more loud after a fireware update. I cannot remember if it was the 60 or 40 gig (HG) though. If an older firmware updage did increase fan RPM, I'm sure they did it b/c PS3s were getting too hot. It is a drag, but probably increased the life of the product. I am assuming the hardware engineers are smarter than I am (which wouldn't be difficult) and they wouldn't do things unnecessisarily. Unfortunately firmware upgrades cannot be undone, and the one that I remeber increasing the noise level was back in October or November 2007. That was way before the DTS-HD firmware update (Feb/March 08) and I don't think anyone would trade DTS-HD capability for a quieter PS3 anyway, I wouldn't. Ofcourse we could be imagining the increased noise after the Firmware update.

I wish a Sony engineer could just come answer our questions and end our speculation.

·
Registered
228 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinlvfr /forum/post/14180898

If an older firmware updage did increase fan RPM, I'm sure they did it b/c PS3s were getting too hot. It is a drag, but probably increased the life of the product. I am assuming the hardware engineers are smarter than I am (which wouldn't be difficult) and they wouldn't do things unnecessisarily. Ofcourse we could be imagining the increased noise after the Firmware update.

I wish a Sony engineer could just come answer our questions and end our speculation.

I quite agree, and definitely want to prolong the life of my beloved PS3's, however, the increase in fan speed is definitely not imagined by me. Also, since the 40GB PS3's use the cooler running 65nm chips, and since firmware upgrades are "one size fits all," perhaps they will determine this added cooling (and noise) is unnecessary in a future update.

Hey, I'm dreaming I know, but after DTS HD MA support, I don't have a lot left to dream about.

·
Registered
191 Posts
fan noise doesnt bother me with my 60gb Ps3, but the heat does bother me...

its like a space heater, its rediculous... my room heats up so much ... i cant play without sweating lol... i need to look into something. its getting a little rediculous lol.

·
Registered
234 Posts
It wouldn't really surprise me if different firmwares produce different fan speeds. New features will each add in their own CPU demands, while code optimizations and algorithm improvements will possibly reduce those in subsequent releases. The OS workload, as a whole, quite possibly varies with every release, with some being more demanding on the hardware than others.

Consider DVD upscaling throughout the versions. The 1.80 update, which added network streaming and high-quality DVD playback, had many users complaining of increased fan noise. On a superficial level, this makes sense: adding more CPU intensive features causes an increase in chip temperatures, which then may then cause an increase in fan speed. Subsequent firmware versions reduced that workload, in DVD playback especially, through better algorithms and code optimizations.

"In 1.80, it was almost full load when upconverting a DVD, but not now due to optimization" (source) . There were also improvements in BD playback, and, one would think, in other areas "under the hood" as well. For me at least, this meant that firmware (2.20) made my PS3 almost dead silent, though I cannot rule out other factors as the cause (such as changes in ambient room temperature or usage habits).

So, there we go. Remember, there doesn't have to be a huge variation to produce changes in fan speed. Maybe you are just at the threshold right now, and maybe a slight increase in processor demand would send you into another gear. Lord knows.

In-game XMB sounds like a demanding background process, doesn't it? Maybe that feature (2.40) will send your console into that dreaded 3rd gear? Maybe you want to forget this update, and wait till 2.41 or 2.42 (a hopefully stable release?). Well, I guess we will find out. It will be a nice way to "test" my theory.

I, on the other hand, will wait a few days before installing that update. You all who so dearly and naively trust Sony, please tell me if 2.40 does indeed increase your fan speed. I will be waiting for initial reports, just as I have done for every other major update. There is no going back once you have installed an update; so I prefer to be safe, rather than sorry. Never know what you will get with these fresh new Sony-created firmwares.

·
Registered
228 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1337H4X /forum/post/14181582

have any of you guys bothered to even try and air out the dust from your console?

My newest one is only 2-3 weeks old, so no need there. But my first one, which was bought on launch day for the 40 GB and put into use a week after Christmas, has been blown out(compressed air) and the intake and exhaust vents vacuumed.

No change that I can tell, but I will say that heat from either unit is no problem, and I have them folding when not in use for other more, shall we say, entertaining purposes?

I will also say that when watching a movie or playing I game I have never noticed the noise, but when the room is quiet the units can be heard from anywhere in the rooms they occupy. One is in the master bedroom, so I was afraid this might pose a problem from me with my wife, but so far so good.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I just bought a brand new 40 GB PS3 for use as a blu-ray player. The first time we watched a movie, we experienced unacceptably high fan noise half-way into the movie. The unit was in an enclosed media stand, but without excess crowding and enough surrounding space that I would not have expected a major heat issue.

Yesterday, I spent some time revamping the media console, cross drilling side holes and adding rear vent holes, and moving the PS3 to a side compartment where it could sit vertically completely alone with at least 6 inches on the top and both sides. Aside from placing the unit in the middle of the floor, this was the only reasonable and acceptable alternative for the master bedroom where the unit needs to be. I turned the unit on (but didn't start a movie) and went to sleep. Two hours later, I was awoken from a dead sleep by the fan noise, which sounded like a vacuum cleaner, despite the presence of a door on the front of the media console compartment.

After 25 years of owning a very wide range of computer and home media equipment, I've never seen (heard!) anything like this. I will be contacting Amazon to exchange the unit. If I get another one that makes a similar amount of sound, I will ditch the PS3 and go with a conventional BR player instead.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts