AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a Toshiba 40H80 a few years ago and I am finally able to view High Definition material. Woohoo! The ability to do so, however, has underscored a problem I've had with the set that is almost unnoticeable with SD material (including most DVDs), but glaringly obvious with HD. I'm hoping someone here could tell me what I'm seeing and what I can do about it.

I'm not a pro at this so I'll try to explain it in layman's terms. What I am seeing is slight ghosting to the left, much like what you would see in the good old days when the only way to get reception was via an antenna. This ghosting appears about an eighth of an inch to the left of any high-contrast image on the screen.

Now this is not edge-enhancement that I'm talking about. It is not as if the ghost has any color to it or is program-dependant. It is always present.

As I said, it is hardly noticeable with SD material, but I'm watching the masters right now in HDTV and it is obvious to the point of distraction! Every flag, every club, every caddy/golfer silhouetted against the lush green grass or blue sky has this faint mirror image/halo just slightly offset to the left!

So what I want to know is: What is causing this and how the heck do I fix it? I have not had the set ISF'd, simply because I have not been able to justify the cost given the fact that SD material looks pretty darn good. But the crispness of HDTV only emphasizes it.

A follow-up question would be: who in the Washington DC area would you recommend?

Thanks in advance!

Chris

·
Registered
503 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisUbik
I bought a Toshiba 40H80 a few years ago and I am finally able to view High Definition material. Woohoo! The ability to do so, however, has underscored a problem I've had with the set that is almost unnoticeable with SD material (including most DVDs), but glaringly obvious with HD. I'm hoping someone here could tell me what I'm seeing and what I can do about it.

I'm not a pro at this so I'll try to explain it in layman's terms. What I am seeing is slight ghosting to the left, much like what you would see in the good old days when the only way to get reception was via an antenna. This ghosting appears about an eighth of an inch to the left of any high-contrast image on the screen.

Now this is not edge-enhancement that I'm talking about. It is not as if the ghost has any color to it or is program-dependant. It is always present.

As I said, it is hardly noticeable with SD material, but I'm watching the masters right now in HDTV and it is obvious to the point of distraction! Every flag, every club, every caddy/golfer silhouetted against the lush green grass or blue sky has this faint mirror image/halo just slightly offset to the left!

So what I want to know is: What is causing this and how the heck do I fix it? I have not had the set ISF'd, simply because I have not been able to justify the cost given the fact that SD material looks pretty darn good. But the crispness of HDTV only emphasizes it.

A follow-up question would be: who in the Washington DC area would you recommend?

Thanks in advance!

Chris
Is it possible your convergence is off, causing what looks like a ghosting effect. I am not familiar with the 40h80, but the 42hdx82 has a 9 point convergence in the user menu and a 56 point in the service menu. Strange though, if it was convergence you should see it in SD too I would think.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I had the 40H80, but sold it - ghosting, just one of the common problems for this set. (BTW- just received new GWII - impressive, so far.) Toshiba techs (at least for set under warranty) are a joke.

I would urge you to check out *************** for many threads on this subject. As far as I know, there is no easy fix for this...

In the Washington, DC area- I have heard that Chuck Williams is a reputable local ISF tech- again, check the Spot for contact details.

FWIW- I would not attribute the problem to convergence- at least based on my own experience.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for all the help. When I first got the set I did the 56 point convergence (with quarterly adjustments), as well as some meatball geometry tweaks. The geometry on the set has always been off a bit, which is another thing to consider when I get it ISF'd.

I'll give Chuck Williams a call and see what magic can be worked. I was not familiar with the *************** - to date my searches were limited to here and the Home Theater Forum - but I like the fact that they have brand-specific forums. Lots of great stuff there!

Chris

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.