AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just ordered the rp82 from Crutchfields(seems to be quite a run on this machine) to pair up with my 40xbr800. Can somebody tell me what is the best setting to use to take advatage of the faroudja/sage chip? Do I use "progressive out" on the dvd? What setting(s) do I need to set my 40xbr800 to(I am not referring to the brightness, etc nuances but rather the DRC and Pro, Standard, Vivid, etc settings on the tv)?

I have top end component cables.

Also, has anyone found the AVIA dvd to be useful in calibrating their set. I am considering getting the best device, short of an ISF tech, to calibrate my 40xbr800.

Thanks

·
Registered
748 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by NJGuy2002
I just ordered the rp82 from Crutchfields(seems to be quite a run on this machine) to pair up with my 40xbr800. Can somebody tell me what is the best setting to use to take advatage of the faroudja/sage chip? Do I use "progressive out" on the dvd? What setting(s) do I need to set my 40xbr800 to(I am not referring to the brightness, etc nuances but rather the DRC and Pro, Standard, Vivid, etc settings on the tv)?
My RP-56 (the precursor unit) has a progressive button on the front panel. I just push it and make no changes in my 34XBR800 configuration.

Phil

·
Registered
477 Posts
Some previous threads discussed the RP-82 modes and their relationship to the use of the Faroudja/Sage chip. Might want to search on RP-82.

You do want to use the progressive out of the DVD. I have the RP-82 and by accident the progressive output got turned off (I have kids) and the difference was noticeable enough that I could tell something was wrong with the picture (even though my Panasonic CT-34WX52 was converting the interlaced signal to progressive). This was before noticing of course that the RP-82 progressive light was off in front. :eek:

Of course your Sony may do a better job than my Panny of converting interlaced to progressive, but I'd still bet on the RP-82 doing better than either.

And yes, I have found AVIA useful for calibrating my set, especially with the RP-82. I think you may find that the RP-82 has a significantly different black level than your existing DVD player. I know mine did. (I believe this is because the RP-82 uses 0 IRE instead of 7.5 IRE when using progressive output, but this is conjecture on my part). AVIA was crucial for me in getting my set adjusted right and ultimately believing the settings were correct (the black level setting is very high now on my set, but the picture is correct). HTH

Walter

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.