AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the only thin is the 34 being 16:9 I'm kind of worry if my xbox is going to display the games in 16:9 or 4:3, anyways have any experience with this? because i know in the xbox menu you can choose which aspect ratio you want, but i don't know if it's stays the same with the game, plus i would like to have it for hd in the future, not right now, so pretty much just need someone who has and xbox and the XBR34" to tell me if the game display in 16:9 or 4:3, thanks a bunch in advance

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
The game has to support 16:9, and unfortunately, many of them still do not. HDTV Arcade is arguably the best and most accurate source on which do what, so I definitely recommend checking it out and comparing it against your collection.

Concerning which you should get, well, there are pro's and con's on both sides of the fence, but ultimately, I think it boils down to how long you plan on keeping it and which shortcomings you find more bothersome. It's pretty basic really, the 40" is larger, sports a lower resolution tube (tell'em about it Thump), and will feature the traditional, horizontal black letterboxes on HD and DVD content. The 34" is smaller, has the higher resolution tube, and will feature your choice of stretched 4:3 content (disproportioned), or vertical, black letterboxes (with accurate -non stretched- proportions). Like I said, personal preference.

If Microsoft is to deliver on their promise that the PS3 will not enjoy the head-start of the PS2, Old Man Xbox has probably only got a couple years kick left in it (assuming you teeter on the cutting edge of console gaming). It really doesn't take a soothsayer to predict that the next crop of consoles will be pumping out HD - 16:9 with every major release, it's an inevitability. All bets are welcome. If this is a long term investment, I always recommend you take that into consideration, but if the letterboxes of the 40" don't bother you, it probably won't be to big of a deal.

Anyways, good luck, happy shopping, and make sure you sniff out a good deal!

·
Registered
136 Posts
If you love your Xbox and use it alot get a 4:3 television, There are hardly any games that are in Widescreen and the games that arent which is a good 95 percent of em will give you a fake stretch with widescreen enabled or not (awful) Most Xbox games actually use a 4:3 mode in HD forcing your Widescreen TV to go to a 4:3 which means black bars on the left or right the widescreen setting wont help you in this case.

Its up to you though you got 2 choices basically:

1. 16:9 Tv and have Black bars vertically almost all of your games

2. 4:3 Tv and have a Letterbox for a few games (very few) and have the black bars Horizontally in that rare occasion.

either way your gonna have black bars, its just a matter of How often and where they are positioned;)

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Quote:
Most Xbox games actually use a 4:3 mode in HD forcing your Widescreen TV to go to a 4:3 which means black bars on the left or right the widescreen setting wont help you in this case.
That's a bit misleading Bremerton, Soul Calibur II (and to a certain extent, Syberia), hardly represent most of the Xbox's HD content. Far as I know, there are around 15 (give or take) HD titles available domestically, and all but 2 (or 3 to cover all my bases), display in the normal 16:9 ratio.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for all the help guys, Orta what do you mean the 40 sports a lower resolution? so the 34 screen is better? PQ wise, thanks in advance right now im leaning towards the 40, but still kind of unsure, thanks again guys.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I cut and pasted my response to a different query but it applies here also, the 34XBR910 has a unique tube with the greatest resolution available in any consumer direct view set:

"Right out of the gate, the 34XBR910 wins the resolution race for its size category. This TV boasts a whopping 65% increase in horizontal resolution compared to all previous and current Sony widescreen “standard†direct views, with 1401 horizontally-measured aperture grille slots (see sidebar) in its new “Super Fine Pitch†CRT versus the 847 in Sony’s standard-pitch widescreen tubes. It has higher resolution than competing-brand direct views such as the Sampo 34", which has around 1000 shadow-mask holes. It also exceeds the resolution capability of the highest-resolving plasmas, which have 852 horizontal pixels for 32" and 1024 for 42" screens, and of LCD panels, which currently max out at 1280 horizontal pixels for screens from 30" to 37"."

This is swiped for "The Perfect Vision" review of the xbr910 seen here:

http://www.theperfectvision.com/new...kv34xbr910.html

They are comparing the horizontal slits to the past widescreen sonys like the 34xbr800 but from what I understand it also applies the the big boy 40xbr800.

·
Banned
3,539 Posts
Thats correct the 34XBR910 has a higher resolution CRT than any of the other Sony models including the old 40XBR800 (which is a 2002 model). The 34XBR910 has over 1400 horizontal resolution compared to 847 on the 40XBR800 and the other older CRT models. For HDTV, the 34XBR910 is far away superior!

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
papi4baby,

The 910's certainly have the capability of displaying the highest resolution of any Tube on the market, but that doesn't mean all the other Sony Tubes being produced are sub-standard, or have poor PQ. In fact, if you put the 34XBR800 next to the 34XBR910, fed it the same SD or HD video signal, you'd be hard pressed to see a difference, as it is slight. The 910's do have the advantage in "capability", which means that at some point in the future when HD is broadcasted at a higher resolution than now, you'll probably see this PQ gap increase somewhat. Do people w/the XBR800 Tubes feel like they are missing something in PQ & resolution? The answer is NO. The current Sony 510's have this type Tube, as well as the 40XBR. The Sony 910's possess a one-of-a kind Super Fine Pitch Tube. You, the consumer, decide if the difference in price of the 510's is worth the extra resolution capabilityof the 910.

·
Banned
3,539 Posts
The 34XBR910 has 1400 horizontal resolution compared to about 850 for the 40XBR800 and the other older HD CRT tube sets. I wouldn't call that increase in resolution "a slight" amount! Its huge!

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
huh!!! big headached now, i dunno what to do

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
papi4baby,

Well, Thumperboy will recommend a 34XBR910 regardless if you're viewing from 100' away and watch 4:3 broadcasts 24 hours a day. I wish he'd just go buy one for himself and quit jonezing. There's been many threads on the proper viewing distances for screen sizes, but that can be a bit subjective. At 10', your are definitely too far away from a 34" widescreen TV. This is my opinion, but I think it is shared by most knowledgeable people on this Forum.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
well the perfect size would be something like the GWIII or the Sammy DLP 43, but with so many problems other people are having i dont know if i want to make the jump to digital tv yet, or stay analog, i do admit i think the 34 is a tad bit small, maybe like a 40" 16:9 would be perfect too, my viewing distance is like 7 to 8". =(

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Papi4baby.

I can help. I own a 40XBR800 and a 34HF83. I did compare both side-by-side with my X-Box. The 40 4:3 is a better choice. Big 40" for 4:3 games and a bigger 16:9 screen for 16:9. I prefer the 40" 4:3 set over my 34" 16:9 set for X-Box.

The only reason to go for the 910 is the resolution. But if you sit too far back you loose the extra resolution.

But in the end it's your own choice. It's your money.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.