AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a 40xbr800 from CC 2 months ago.....It had the discoloration on 3 different sets in my upstairs apartment.......The tech came out 1 week ago and said it was due to my downstairs neighbors "possible" speaker magnet??? Downstairs?

Anyway CC said that I could come down and exchange for a new TV.......

I don't mind paying a bit more as long as I will be happy..That being said I want something for about 3,500 out the door w/stand and 5 year warranty.....Maybe a bit more, but not over 4G's

I love the 40! I don't want to let it go.....The tech mentioned magnets, but I don't want to be stuck with a bad TV if it doesn't work........He said 90% will fix the problem........90%???

I sit about 8 feet from the 40......I love the High Def pic quality.....Is there a TV in my price range that can compare or even be improved?

I don't want any burn in option.....That is why I say LCD or maybe perhaps DLP.....

Daym I really don't want to give up the 40......I probably will not have any set I buy calibrated.....

TV uses:

1. Standard cable/digital

2. DVD

3. High Def

4. Playstation

In order of most used.......TV on - 3 hrs per day Mon - Fri with 5 hrs on weekends..........

Let me know........I don't care if you want to bash a product, just please post opinions and hands on........Anything will help.....

Thanks!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Sorry to bump, but I need all the info I can get by tomorrow.......Then you will never have to see my thread again......

I don't care if it's a 1 word reply or a racial slur just keep my post up.......

Thanks and have a nice day........

·
Registered
253 Posts
Yeah, if magnetic fields are a problem, go with something that does not use electron beams for imaging.

I've had my 50" GWII for almost 2 months now and it's great. If I could change one thing on this set, it would be to improve its ability to display a PC monitor image -- it can be done but with some extra effort. If you need to stay close to 40", there is a new 42" Sony LCD RPTV due out right about now.

As you can see in this forum, there are some pretty die-hard fans in the DLP and LCD RPTV camps. Deciding amongst these will ultimately be a subjective thing. You need to weigh the positives and minuses and see what you will give the best satisfaction over the next 5 years or so. Why 5 years?? I think many of us will likely upgrade around that time as the technologies improve and prices fall even more.

If I were buying today, I would probably be trying to decide between the new 50" Panasonic and Sony LCD RPTVs.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply…..

I was up all night reading opinions and views of LCD, but in the end I just wound up back to my original mind state – Confused…..

I don’t think I will have problems about the PC hookup

·
Registered
253 Posts
Part of the equation has to do with how far away you are from the screen. Somewhere on the net I saw a calculator that was supposed to tell you the THX-sanctioned viewing distance as a function of screen size. For my 50" set that was somewhere around 7' (don't recall exactly). At that distance, I could see some DVD compression and edge enhnacement artifacts -- viewing DVDs that close is not tolerable for me. However, HD was fine. Getting closer than 5', the screen door effect was apparent to me but it just looked like I was watching a CRT too close. For my family, our typical viewing distances are in the 12'-15' range and the better DVDs look great. If you plan on watching around the 7' distance, you may want to either go with another technology combination-- DVHS and/or Direct View Plasma/LCD -- or with a smaller screen.

Also, I have not seen analog SD reception on this set and I hope I never will. I bought an OTA HD tuner and get nearly every local channel in digital and scaled-up quality. Viewing SD on this GWII is acceptable for me.

Every once in a while, I do think that I catch a high speed motion artifact. LCD may have a slower pixel response time than some other technologies but I think what I am seeing is more a flaw in deinterlacing than pixel response speed. It's infrequent and extremely short-lived. For me, this is not a problem.

The best PQ I saw in stores was on plasmas and DV LCDs. I saw an immense plasma display at a high-end HT botique that was stunning. It was only playing a progressive DVD (Die Another Day) but it was still astonshingly good. That set was probably finely tuned and was operating at peak performance. Just know that most showroom sets won't be properly set up and won't be getting the best video feed possible.

Some claim that the best PQ you can get today is with with DV CRTs. However, I disqualified them due to their limited screen size and my viewing room size.

Happy hunting!

·
Registered
89 Posts
stray, I have botht the 40 inch sony, and the new panny LCD, and I can tell you that I have owned over 12 sets in the past year, NO set has touched the 40 inch in the HD PQ department, I have the Sony in my living room, and the 50 LCD panel in my beddroom, if I could get the 40 inch upstairs I would return the panny and get another direct view 40 incher, :)

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think the problem I'm having is the fast motion blur pixel .....However I think it's becaue of the large screens.......The 40 has about a 37 inch wide view on HD and it's perfect, but when I watch a full 40 on digital or regular I get the same problem.......I don't think I've noticed this on DVD even on full screen DVD.....It could be my cable....Comcast.....

I think this means I may need smaller than a 50.......I just could not stand the football games on the 50's.....I still feel that the GW2 was more watchable.......So I guess the 42GW3 would be right up my ally...I can't wait......

The 40 is a *****.....Even to slide it around it gets tough.......I live upstairs and I already know If the 40 stays then I will HAVE to stay :)

I love the football HD......The colors are amazing......I was just thinking if they could somehow make the 40 a widescreen Then I would definately get it.....Discoloration or not......Hope the GW3 lives up to my HYPE ha ha......

I also connect my wall cable directly into the TV......It provides better PQ than either cable box or HD.....I can use the TV tuner for any channel up to 77........I also get much better sound this way.......I don't know much if anything about cable connections except which cables are better....This seems to work best.....

I must also add that this is my 1st TV purchased.......Took me nearly 3 months to "pass the plastic" and buy.....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.