AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, well I have to tell you that this set is just too big. I've had discoloration in 3 of the 4 corners since about 2 months after I got it. I've heard a lot of people talk about the convergence, and maybe either the internal speakers are improperly shielded, or that some parts of the sets chassis are becoming magnetized and causing this distortion. Has anyone actually taken out the internal speakers and seen if their discoloration goes away? I am really curious to see if there is actually a problem, or if these TV sets are just really, really sensitive to magnetic fields (including the Earth's).

I have traveled all over the country recently and I always make it a point to go into a Hi-Fi Buys, or Tweeter, or Magnolia, or CC, or whatever and look at this set. After looking at probably 15 on display, I have yet to see this set without the "purity" issue in the corners.

Lucky for me, I had an air bubble in the tube, and Sony has authorized the replacement of the tube. I am still waiting to hear back from Sony to see if I can just do an even exchange for a 34XBR910. I figure that it would be cheaper for them, and I would definitely be a lot happier.

The idea of this set is great, the middle part of the screen looks great, but I think that the 40" tube is beyond the limits of CRT technology. I would definitely be curious to see if the supposed 36"WS comes out, and if it experiences "purity" problems in the corner.

Anyway, if anyone has modified their set successfully, I'd love to hear about it.

·
Registered
10,501 Posts
If you're seeing red or blue fringing on high contrast edges near the corners that might be somewhat improvable via the convergence controls (or a contrast adjustment). It certainly helped a bit on my TV. I'm not sure what could be done re purity issues though, other than making sure that overall color is calibrated on the TV as well as possible. If the grey scale is more accuracte and color bias is eliminated then some of the color shift around the edges of the screen might be a bit less distracting, perhaps because there's less margin for error in the whole color arrangement. I don't know how to tweak the color independently on different parts of the screen though, or if that's even possible.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by flynbw01
Ok, well I have to tell you that this set is just too big. I've had discoloration in 3 of the 4 corners since about 2 months after I got it. I've heard a lot of people talk about the convergence, and maybe either the internal speakers are improperly shielded, or that some parts of the sets chassis are becoming magnetized and causing this distortion. Has anyone actually taken out the internal speakers and seen if their discoloration goes away? I am really curious to see if there is actually a problem, or if these TV sets are just really, really sensitive to magnetic fields (including the Earth's).
I've seen people on other forums report that they have moved the speakers, but no no avail.

I have an XBR800, and have had the same problem. Circuit City replaced my tube about a month agao, but it is not exhibiting the same behavior.

I see constant reports of this problem on various forums, but have yet to see anybody who has been able to resolve it with any level of success (save for one poster on this board). I'll likely look to swap it out for another television.

Spiderguy

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have a 40XBR800 as well with purity issues in the corners. I had the tech come out and put some magnets on it which made it much better but it is not perfect. Hearing about all the problems people are having with it makes me unsure if I want to swap it out (I have heard of people who swapped it and the problem came back after a few months). I have yet to find anyone who has removed the internal speakers. Personally I don't blame them, I would like it to look better but cracking that thing open and possibly causing more color havoc does not sound like fun. IMHO the screen is too big and is has an overly sensitive landing. The tech who came out told me that he would not go this big (on a CRT tube) even with his employee discount.

·
Banned
3,539 Posts
You see the big problem with the 40XBR800's large 4:3 tube. That tech's comment is completely correct - the CRT is just too big and that causes all the problems. Notice that while all of Sony's other HD CRT models were upgraded last year, the 40XBR800 was not - its about 2 years old now, so I suspect it will be the last of that line and discontinued soon and not replaced. You would be very wise to switch to the better Sony 34XBR910, no such purity problems and it has higher resolution too!

·
6,091 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ThumperBoy
You see the big problem with the 40XBR800's large 4:3 tube. That tech's comment is completely correct - the CRT is just too big and that causes all the problems. Notice that while all of Sony's other HD CRT models were upgraded last year, the 40XBR800 was not - its about 2 years old now, so I suspect it will be the last of that line and discontinued soon and not replaced. You would be very wise to switch to the better Sony 34XBR910, no such purity problems and it has higher resolution too!
I'm in the "it's too big" camp myself. The tube is only too big though because Sony didn't spend the money it takes to get something this large to work right. Another 500 dollars put into shielding or quality would have prevented this, IMO.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I just posted in another thread (and many times back when this all happened around early spring of 2003), but I had this problem and it was completely eliminated after a tube replacement. I had accepted this as "normal" because even my old 35" Mitsubishi had it to some degree. What forced the issue for me were blurry areas on the right and left areas of the screen that was most noticable on certain text displays. The tech that came out couldn't eliminate the blurry spots and ordered a tube. When he put the new tube in the blurry text was gone but there were still color blotches (noticable usually on solid fields, as I'm sure you all know). I made the comment of "yeah, these big tubes just do that" or something similar and his response was, "No, it shouldn't do that at all". He reached back on the yoke, made a few twists, and basically "dialed it out" of all the corners. My display has been absolutely perfect ever since. I used Avia to tweak everything just how I wanted it after he left and the image is nothing short of incredible.

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Kadman,

Glad to read your 40XBR has been properly repaired & remained so all these months. I remember your posts well, and I had purchased my 40XBR around the same time frame.

Fortunately, my 40XBR has never had even a hint of trouble. What can I say, the TV has played flawlessly since day one, and after a year of ownership I could not be more pleased w/its performance. The PQ on this Tube is absolutely gorgeous, and many visitors have commented on it.

I do know some of the 40XBR owners have had the problems mentioned on this Forum, but I also know scores of other happy owners that have never had any problems whatsoever. I wish we could do a Consumers Report type survey on this Tube, and just get a factual statistic of reliability based on actual owner experience. Well, I've got 4 more years left on my CC Extended Warranty, and I hope I never have to use it.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Cajie,

Good to hear from you! I remember us going through the in's and out's of the 40XBR at the same time and sharing our experiences here. This TV just couldn't be performing better for me. After 1 year I can honestly say that it's the best TV for our needs. That's saying something for a guy like me who gets bored with his electronics pretty quick. The wife nearly kills me each time I look to upgrade something (audio gear, speakers, PC equipment, even cell phones, lol).

·
6,091 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by cajieboy
Woodrow,

I've heard Visual Apex has a sale on the new Panny 42" 6UY (1:4000 contrast ratio!) for $2800. The prices keep falling!

Cajieboy,

I'm leaning towards just letting them replace it with another 40. I've looked, and I can't find a picture I like better that will fit my needs. I'm sure there's one out there, I just haven't seen it. Even with all my problems "A Bug's Life" looked killer in HD on Sat night!

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Okie dokie Woodrow,

No pun intended! Hope this next 40XBR turns out to be a "Keeper". Who are you picking for the SB? There's a poll on the Plasma Forum. I'm going out on a limb here, but I'm picking the underdogs...Panthers.

Yeah Kadman,

If I had to do this all over again in Jan. 2004, I'd be choosing the 40XBR for the same reasons I did last year. This TV meets my needs perfectly. I still drool over all the latest gear, and it's exciting to read about. Flat Panel tech is getting better & cheaper, and hope by the time I'm ready for an upgrade, I'll enjoy the benefits & jump in PQ that I experienced when I finally went from my older 27XBR to the new 40XBR.

·
6,091 Posts
Quote:
Okie dokie Woodrow,

No pun intended! Hope this next 40XBR turns out to be a "Keeper". Who are you picking for the SB? There's a poll on the Plasma Forum. I'm going out on a limb here, but I'm picking the underdogs...Panthers.

Yeah Kadman,

If I had to do this all over again in Jan. 2004, I'd be choosing the 40XBR for the same reasons I did last year. This TV meets my needs perfectly. I still drool over all the latest gear, and it's exciting to read about. Flat Panel tech is getting better & cheaper, and hope by the time I'm ready for an upgrade, I'll enjoy the benefits & jump in PQ that I experienced when I finally went from my older 27XBR to the new 40XBR.
Cajieboy,

You better watch it with the okie cracks, I wasn't born here.:D

I'm gonna have to take the Pats, although both beat my Cowboys this year. Basically, because the Pats have been here before and the Panthers may not be ready for prime time. Should be a good game. Now that I think about it, it was this game being in HD that convinced me to get an HDTV last March. Is this your first HD Super Bowl?

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
woodrow,

This will be my 2nd HD Super Bowl. I really don't have a dog in this fight, so I'm more interested in just a good close football game. The Pats are in my division & beat the Dolphins pretty good this year. I won't complain if a little revenge is dealt out by the Panthers. I'll lose interest quickly if it turns into a rout on either side.

·
6,091 Posts
Quote:
woodrow,

This will be my 2nd HD Super Bowl. I really don't have a dog in this fight, so I'm more interested in just a good close football game. The Pats are in my division & beat the Dolphins pretty good this year. I won't complain if a little revenge is dealt out by the Panthers. I'll lose interest quickly if it turns into a rout on either side.
Cajieboy,

I agree. A close game is really all I care about. 28-0 nothing in the second quarter would SUCK. Talk to ya later,

·
Registered
23 Posts
OOOHHH NNOOO. I noticed the other day that it looked like my set was starting to get magnetized in the upper left and right corners of my 40XBR800. Very slight tints of bluish green. I thought I would surf a few boards to see if others were having this problem and I find this thread! [email protected]! What to do? I love the set but I don't know if I can keep looking at the two spots. The set is about 1.5 years old! I thought this thing would last a while and then this. I'm sooo bummed :(

What else has anyone done to aleviate the problems? Arrghh!

Steve

·
Registered
136 Posts
Have the tech put magnets in........

Same thing happened to mine and after 2 replacements they finally tried the magnets and it's fine........

I've never seen a clearer HD display than the 40.....I don't care what people say.....Under 4 G's of course.....

If I ever upgrade it will be to a projector to get a real theater experience........

The only downfall is what makes it so great(ironic) Just too daym big.......I could never just pack my bags and go!

So give magnets a try if you really want to keep the TV.....What do you have to lose?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Cajie,

"Ditto" to your response and experiences thus far with the 40XBR. I too, got a GREAT set right out of the box, and would buy it all over again today! I usually ALWAYS get burned on lemons with everything I buy... But this set has been FLAWLESS from day one!

I did go in and make a SMALL adjustment to the red push, but found that I did not need to go to the extreme adjustments that are posted on this board. However, MANY THANKS to the Poster(s) that gave me the instructions. This FORUM is a GREAT HELP! Sorry to hear about the troubles that other owners have experienced. But fear not, NEAR perfection can be achieved with these Sets. Heck, I have TWO UNSHIELDED stereo speakers with 15" woofers setting about two feet on either side of my set and still NO purity problems. I'll admit that I've had to position them at SLIGHT angles to avoid mild purity problems in Gray areas, but I had to do that with my 27" Panasonic GAOO tube as well. That is to be expected.

I too, will wait until flat panels come down in price and improve in quality. At that point I will be excited to take the next "Jump" in PQ and viewing size area. Something to still look forward to in 3-5 years is always a good thing... My biggest problem then will be "What to do with the Behemoth?" It is TOO big for my bedroom... BUT even if I have to give it away, I will have gotten my monies worth of viewing pleasure out of it. It has also gotten my wife introduced to HD viewing and she now appreciates the radical improvement. Therefore, she will not balk (like this first time) when I tell her we need to upgrade to a "60 inch WHATEVER" down the road.

P.S. GO DOLPHINS! I am a season ticket holder and was excited when Marino took the VP job, but didn't like the fact that I would miss him on the BIG TUBE.... Now that he's back on the tube, I'm not sure how to feel about the team's chances next year? LOSE FIEDLER!

Keep the faith, all. BOTH the 40xbr800 and the 34xbr910 are FANTASTIC sets! They can and should be performing without annoying problems of this sort. The "vertical bar" problem that Woodrow and others have experienced is very very faint on my set, and ONLY during COMPLETELY black scenes. As soon as even text appears the bar disappears into the noise floor. Like I said, I GOT A KEEPER RIGHT OUT OF THE BOX! I would like to think that I am in the majority, but a CR survey would be very interesting to see on the 40xbr as well as the 910. BUT I'm a HAPPY 40xbr owner!

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Woodrow, looks like we got our wish, and this was probably one of the best SB games in recent memory. Keep me posted on the status of your 40XBR, and if the new replacement is a "keeper".

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Southbound,

Great to read that you're enjoying your 40XBR as much as I am, and hopefully those folks w/purity problems will have their issues resolved. I really don't know what to make of this problem some people are experiencing w/the 40XBR as mine has only displayed great PQ & performance.

Yeah, I think Fiedler has to go. The guy has this hot & cold thing going on, where one week he's a Johnny Unitas & the next week he can't seem to make a decent throw. I think the Dolphins are so close to getting their act together, and the owner is really trying to make them a winner. Too bad about Dan The Man backing out as VP, but if you're not willing to put in the time & hard work necessary for the team then I'm glad he said so before actually taking the job over. I think the Dolphins will still benefit from Dan's input from time to time, even if it's off the record.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.