AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just took delivery on a 40XBR800. Unfortunately, I have analog cable(until I get satellite in about 3 months), so there is probably only so much I can do. In the interim, what should I do with respect to putting in the settings on my tv? (I also have a Panasonic rp82 dvd player). To date, I have done nothing but take the tv out of the box, stick the cable into the vhf/uhf port and turn the set "on". Yes, I am a novice...

Thanks in advance--this board has been a tremendous resource to date in selecting the equipment I have.

John

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hi, how do you like your new television? I noticed that most of the 40XBR800 fan club are over at www.agoraquest.com and there are some settings there that members recommend to get the best picture quality...I would go over there and check them out...

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
Hi neighbor PA man here, if your not satisfied with analog cable, what about Over The Air, have you tried any inside or outside antenna?

By all means get you HDTV out of the box get a high joules surge protecter and plug it in. If you have a local blockbuster now would be the time to rent DVDs, hook it up with the S-Video cable and your panny DVD player. I own 1,136 Region 1 discs plus foreign wth english language discs.

To use AVS search engine put world like Antenna in it will search of single word antenna, it will display posts that have that in it and you can learn who is getting the best reception using what antenna.

Honestly I have Digital Choice cable but I am so busy doing research I hardy have it on, their is so much to do on the net. Good luck with your new toy and again welcome to the AVS forums, the biggest and best in the world.

Any one like to chime in and welcome our new member on his new HDTV or? :)

·
Registered
77 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by hob
By all means get you HDTV out of the box get a high joules surge protecter and plug it in. If you have a local blockbuster now would be the time to rent DVDs, hook it up with the S-Video cable and your panny DVD player. I own 1,136 Region 1 discs plus foreign wth english language discs.
Actually, skip the s-video and go with a component connection ;).

·
Registered
92 Posts
Agreed!

You paid for the nice set, now take advantage of it and the progressive output from you dvd player with component cables...good component cables. ;) welcome to Nirvana.

·
Registered
188 Posts
In this thread I detailed my settings for the 40XBR800. If search is working on this forum, there are some other good threads also. Agoraquest is a good forum also, but there is one user 'Sony4Me' on there with post subjects like 'Best 40XBR800 Settings" that advocates running the 40XB800 with 100% sharpness and Velocity Scan Modulation set to High. More power to him if he likes it that way, but be careful using settings like that - in my opinion it destroys the picture.

Also, the single best thing I did for my analog cable picture was to disconnect the cable from going thru my surge protector/line condition (Panamax 500). It was really adding noise to the picture. Luckily I live in a place where we have NEVER had lightning in the 2 years I have lived here, so for me that is a fairly safe gamble to take.

On the RP-82 (which I also have) connect via component, turn on progressive in the RP82 setup menu AND remember to press the progessive-ON button on the RP82 front panel. Set video mode to "Normal", transfer mode to "Auto 1" (uses the Sage/Faroudja DCDi processing), and then sit back and enjoy the picture.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Scott, as well as everyone else--this was exactly what I was looking for--as well as trying to avoid re Sony4Me's comments.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.