AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, back to my other problem with long reboot and not connecting. I haven't opened my unit up yet and am asking for advice. (See http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=251230 )

Should I replace the drive myself (I'm quite handy in fact have owned my own computer store since 1989) I would just like conformation that it's probably NOT a hardware issue. Does anyone know what drive(s) are in the unit? I saw a message that said one of the 4160's had dual 80's. If that's true, do I HAVE to use dual 80's again or can I just put a 200 in it? (or for that matter, just one 160gb)?? My distributor has the 120's, 160's and 200's in stock. Just need to know how many and what one(s) to buy. I assume it should be a maxtor 5400 and 7200 is ok too. Seems like (Price wise) the 160gb is the best bang for the buck right now.

Thanks for the help guys! Your GREAT!

Again, here's the original message.

Original message

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Well you already know how 160 "fits" you :) .

The 200's are always tempting though. From personal experience in years with PCs, I find the quality of WD drives has gone down drastically. I would get a Maxtor with fluid bearings because they are very quiet and run slightly cooler (though heat is not a factor in the 4000s). You'll read threads with claims of eye-popping performance gains using 7200 RPM drives or 8meg caches, but this is basically the placebo effect. More than likely in the size your talking about you'll wind up with 7200rpm 8meg units as the older ones are hard to find.

You sound like you are more than capable of following the upgrade procedure. I believe the patch program has been updated to see the larger drives now so you can use the boot floppy method. If the program shows the drive size correctly (you will prob. need the controller card which comes packed with most maxtors) it's a 15 min deal, not counting the drive re-certification (RECOMENDED-9-12 hrs).

Your current problem sounds like a drive dying, with many retries to get the OS loaded. I would use an image from mikeyboy's site. You'll lose all of your setups, but at least you'll start off clean.

After that you can recertify the old drive and maybe have a 4320. :) :)

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
A 4000 series should be configurable to just about any one or two drive configuration you can think of. It doesn't have to be two drives, and if it is two drives, they don't have to be the same size.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Guys!

That's the answers I was looking for :) I'll order up a 160 tomorrow and have it for the weekend That's a good idea to recertify the old one (if it will that is) and have at least a spare laying around. I LOVE my 160. I ended up deleating over 20 hours at HQ movies I was saving for that "rainy" day, just never got around to watching them. Oh well. I have an old 4080 downstairs that I use if I'm downthere. I don't have a spare directtv receiver thier, but I do have basic cable so I can record WB (gilmore girls, smallville) and Fox (startrek) and of course Jag, so some things are double recorded but at this this way, (and thank goodness) I don't miss anything. I LOVE MY REPLAY!

You people are the greatest. Thanks much! I'll post if I run into problems, but seriously doubt it. Me and computer problems this past 10 days, My lightning computer (boltek) AND my home linux server crashed THEN replay did it's thing. SHEESH, 3 computers in 10 days. Thank goodness I have the computer store! :cool:

Thanks!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.