AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I believe my TH42PWD4 may have a problem, but want to check with other owners. The Panasonic tech. told me these artifacts were normal. Could you please look at this pictures and see if it is normal.

Princess Bride special edition and Toy Story 2. Plasma digital pictures and computer screen caps.

I do not think these fall under the definition of posterizing. Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
698 Posts
What are we looking at?The only thing I see are the pixels.It looks like you took the pictures from about a foot away.Please explain more. bm

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I apologize, in my effort at brevity my meaning was unclear. Yes the pictures were shot from only a few inches from the screen, and I watch from about 10’ from the screen where the artifacts are still clearly visible. I could not take a detailed picture from that distance.

--> The artifacts are the secondary red outlines to portions of some images: second set of nose/lips in the sunset, second set of vertical parallel lines on either side of the B. These are missing from the smaller PC screen captures below.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by DonBerg
Is this artifact only visible with DVDs? How about NTSC and HD video?
I have only noted it on DVDs. I do not have any HD source, and do not really watch much cable TV on it either—though in the small amount I have watched I have not noted this problem. Even with DVDs it is only in specific scenes and associated with warm light or the color red. The same Princess Bride scene on video tape does not show the secondary images, however it is also an old tape and the image is rather fuzzy.

On the DVD front: I have tried component—progressive—, S-video, and composite inputs: same problem. I have tried four different DVD players (two Panasonics, two Toshibas): same problem.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I was going to guess this was your DVD player exhibiting the chroma bug, but that usually manifests itself only in progressive signals, and produces odd horizonal lines. And you've tried multiple players.

(For example, take a look at the red toy monkeys at the beginning of Toy Story 2. If they look like they have horizontal red stripes, your player has the chroma bug.)

Actually, my guess is that you have a problem with your cabling (if not your display). This looks like the sort of ghosting you see with analog signal interference. (It looks like the chroma signal is echoing or delayed.) It's possible the interference is in your display, but I'd check the cables first.

Second, I'd check one of the calibration DVDs (Avia or Video Essentials) to check the chroma timing. This may be adjustable in the service menu -- I don't remember off the top of my head.

What you're seeing certainly isn't normal.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Yes I see what your talking about now.You notice this effect from 10' away or just close up like that?How long have you had the plasma and who did you buy it from?I've never noticed anything like this on my panny.But you can bet I will be looking for it now.What models of dvd players did(do) yo have? bm

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Peter:

I checked the monkeys on TS2 and they look fine, no horizontal stripes. I have looked at the YC Delay test patterns on Avia, and the red/green/blue all show as 0%, but the yellow/red bars do show some false lines to either side (sharpness –7). Is this the test pattern you were suggesting?

Cables: I do not have the funds to try out several other component cables, but since I have tried S-video and composite cables, I would have assumed something would have changed with the different cables/inputs.

“What you're seeing certainly isn't normal.â€â€”Thanks I had just about convinced myself that this was the risk of ‘emerging’ technology.

batman09:

The effect is seen from 10’ away quite clearly—annoyingly. The plasma is nearing the 1 year mark, so I wanted to have one more round with Panasonic before the warrantee runs out. I have noticed these problems for quite some time and talked with an unhelpful person at Panasonic a few months back. I purchased it on line—saved ~$2K at the time, but there are always risks…

Panasonic: DVD RP91, A310

Toshiba: SD-P2000 (portable) and one of the inexpensive ones, 1200?, honestly, I forget.

The plasma is currently hooked up to the RP91 through Monster component inputs (BNC adapters not monster, but recommended by our local high end video/stereo store.)

Thanks for all your input so far. I have read AVS forum since before I bought the Panny, but have never posted. Your help is greatly appreciated.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.