AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to get a 42-47" rp hdtv. The only prerequisites I have are DVI input and cost under $2200. I've been looking at the Toshiba 42hdx82 and the newer Sony kp-46wt500. Is there anything else I should look at in this price range? If you have viewed these or similar, could you please offer your opinions on these sets.

Note: We sit about 7 feet from the TV, and watch our fair share of standard definition content, so going any bigger is not an option.

Thanks,

CG.

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Why the need for DVI?

·
Registered
337 Posts
I am also considering the Sony unit. But I am confused with the terminologies perhaps someone can expalin please.

What is hi-scan? Is this like line doubler or quadrupler? If yes, does it double or quadruple?

Sony's web page says "Hi-Scan 1080i Display works through analog component video (Y/PB/PR) connections and DVI-HDTV interface. Not compatible with such digital connections that may become available in the future."

What does the "Not compatible...." statement mean? What digital connections of the future? What am I giving up?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Why DVI? Well, at some point I expect we will own a STB w/ DVI output -- it does look like it's the front runner for secure digital content.

Beboram, what did you think of the Sony? What else have you been looking at?

·
Registered
807 Posts
Hi-Scan is Sony's name to identify their High Definition TV's. I don't think they have any type of special technology that makes their 1080i different from any one else's.

I'm a big fan of the 42HDX82. (I am also a sales rep for the Toshiba distriutor in Chicago, so I may not be the most objective person you will find here. I do, however, love the 42HDX82 and will be getting one myself in a week or so.) I think it has the best picture quality of any TV in their line. I am also a proponent of having the right size TV for the room. I think the TV is the perfect size for your room. Haven't seen the Sony.

Mike K.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the thoughtful reply Mike.

My wife and I went out again this weekend and looked at these 2 sets in several different stores. We ended up buying the 42HDX82. It gets delivered on Sunday -- I can't wait.

I'll just share my opinions for those interested.

The vertical viewing angle on the Sony 46" is pretty restricted. When you consider the form factor (tabletop with significantly tall base), it makes furniture selections challenging. Ideally you only want this set another foot or so off the floor.

I thought the Sony had more vibrant colors -- the Toshiba colors looked a little bit washed out to me (even after experimenting with different settings). The general picture and smaller fine-detailed picture elements looked more crisp and defined on the Toshiba though.

I personally liked the Toshiba stretch modes (stretches extents of the picture more than the center) better than the Sony (zoom plus stretch). And finally, the 42" is just a better size for our configuration (sitting 7 - 8 feet from the TV).

·
Registered
337 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by cdgough
Beboram, what did you think of the Sony? What else have you been looking at?
I saw the Best Buy advert. did some research and asked the questions. The closest BB did not have it on the floor. I will have to call two other stores. Did you compare at Best Buys?

I like Sony for their color saturations, and true blacks. What did you think about the black between the two units?

I understand many units can benefit from a calibration. Perhaps that may help with the Hitachi's colors.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There wasn't enough difference in the blacks between the Sony and Toshiba to really say one was better than the other. I would agree though, that the color saturation was better on the Sony.

Just an FYI -- I got a second opinion from a friend of mine (Sony kp-57vw700 owner) and he agreed more or less with my comments about the Sony.

The 46" Sony really would benefit from their uniform brightness technology. If it has this feature, my decision would have been much, much more difficult.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by cdgough

The vertical viewing angle on the Sony 46" is pretty restricted. When you consider the form factor (tabletop with significantly tall base), it makes furniture selections challenging. Ideally you only want this set another foot or so off the floor.
The stand is only 11.75 inches :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If the 46" Sony is put on a average-sized piece
of A/V furniture you will almost certainly be looking up at the picture. I wouldn't advice it -- the top corners will look dark.

I pretty much conceded that if I went with the Sony I was going to have to buy that 'proprietary' stand.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.