AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i think i've done my homework...read all the threads i could find, and demoed what i could, where i could. but i still have a few questions...mostly about older models and other 'un-demoable' issues, but also to provide a reality check.

purpose: looking to replace an ancient 36" crt in my family room. we have a dedicated (and calibrated) theater for 'serious' viewing, so the FR is more casual...mostly sports, prime-time, news, background noise. that said, with the *huge* PQ improvement i expect, we may fire up the projector less often. primary source will be TWC HD cable, secondary (player-upscaled) SD DVD. no auxiliary sound allowed...just what's in the TV.

layout: big room w/lots of ambient light (two sets of french doors, clerestory, wall o' windows, nearby skylights) and no way to shut off any of it, though most viewing will be done when this is not so much of an issue. view distance ~13', mostly straight-on. TV *must* fit in a built-in recess in the wall...

·
Registered
589 Posts
I'd get 46" if at all possible. At 13' you are unlikely to get much benefit from 1080p - your chief benefit will come from increasing screen size. Based on a quick look at screen sizes I'm not sure that a 46" will fit, though.

The 800U has the better speakers, though I'm very frustrated by the current high cost of the TH-42PZ800U. You can get the 46 and 50 PZ800U for less than the 42. I consider the sound on my Pioneer PDP-5016HD (a low end Tweeter model) in the neighborhood of the 800U, making me think Pioneer does better speakers. I would make a point to listen to the 80/85U speakers before spending the large premium on the 42PZ800U (I haven't done that yet) if sound is your only consideration. There's better PQ on the 800U as well, of course.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i've yet to find a 46" plasma that will fit.

it's not all about the sound.

prestige...why? how about specifically addressing some of the questions i've asked? as i said, i read everything i could find. i know that's the best-worst list in perfect conditions. what about my sound/environmental situation? if the PQ benefits of the pioneers are largely lost, then it seems like the (supposedly) better sound and (certainly) better price of the panny is the sensible choice, no?

·
Registered
126 Posts
I was not aware the Pro 950 nor 4280 Pios were still available?

There are 46" LCDs that will fit your space...or if there is a ledge in front of the recess, you could move the unit forward enough to allow the sides to extend past the opening?

Quote:
Originally Posted by H_Prestige /forum/post/15435263

Pioneer PRO-950

Pioneer 4280

Panasonic 42PZ800

Panasonic 42PZ85

In that order

·
Registered
589 Posts
I'd be tempted to either go high or low. The PRO-950HD still seems to be available online in a few spots, though the price is > 2k. The PDP-4280HD isn't available new that I've seen. The TH-42PZ800U is a very nice set, but I've got trouble paying a $500-600 premium for the 42PZ800U when the 46 and 50 are only a 100-300 premium for the 800U. So if it were me, I'd probably either the get the best with the PRO-950HD or decide to save money with the TH-42PZ85U.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.