AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
2,166 Posts
The prices are coming down. There is a big article in the New York Times today about how WalMart and Kmart stock plasmas and DVDs these days. But my question is this: will the price war halt/slow down the picture quality improvements we have seen over the last few years in top plasmas. The logic is this: cheap plasmas come from Korea; soon from China. So far they have sucked. But they may be good enough for the masses, thrilled to have a TeeVee they can hang on a wall. In order to compete, Pio, Panny and Fuji start shipping stripped-down plasmas whose quality improvements essentially have stopped on the current generation. Or do you envision a dichotomy where the top manufacturers start offering dual offerings: low and hi end?

·
Registered
698 Posts
This is good for everyone interested in plasmas.Finally fujitsu is lowering their prices(they were the last of the big dogs to do so).Hopefully the other big players will see this and lower their prices more! bm

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
I am the proud owner of a (Japanese) Panasonic 42 and I don't think it is accurate to say that the Korean panels "suck."

I have seen the $3,000 Sampo at Costco and I think overall the image about as good as my Panny except for contrast. I'm a blackaholic, so the $500 more I paid for the Panny was worth it to me.

I think the Sampo looks noticeably BETTER than the Sony ALiS crap, which costs twice as much.

Cheap plasmas, even if they have poor image quality, are a very good thing. They force the price down on the good stuff, too.

·
Registered
362 Posts
This is a 4233.. never seen any reviews on it.. how is the 4233.. also, what is the warranty coveage for this unit? Doesn't fujitsu deny warranty coverage for net purchases?

·
Banned
2,166 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by chris5977
I am the proud owner of a (Japanese) Panasonic 42 and I don't think it is accurate to say that the Korean panels "suck."

I have seen the $3,000 Sampo at Costco and I think overall the image about as good as my Panny except for contrast. I'm a blackaholic, so the $500 more I paid for the Panny was worth it to me.

I think the Sampo looks noticeably BETTER than the Sony ALiS crap, which costs twice as much.

Sampo is Taiwanese...:)

I agree that overall the customers benefit from the price war, but quality often suffers. Look at airlines. I still remember awesome meals and wines I used to get on Lufthansa (coach). I am convinced that we'll start seeing low-hi end differentiation in plasmas, and the pricing on the hi end plasmas will not be dropping as fast. Manufacturers need to protect their margins somehow. A few days ago I read an article that the major Japanese manufacturers are planning on using window glass (gasp) on next generation plasmas, because it costs 10 x less than the current glass. Perhaps the time to get a high quality panel is next year...

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by scmguru
This is a 4233.. never seen any reviews on it.. how is the 4233.. also, what is the warranty coveage for this unit? Doesn't fujitsu deny warranty coverage for net purchases?
Couple of us have given our observations on the 4233. A search should pick them up. Remember to do the slow search to find all hits.

In a nutshell, PQ on this is similar to NEC MP3 and Panny SD 42 inchers.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
AFAIK, Fujitsu does indeed deny warranty coverage for internet purchases. This is certainly something to pin down with the vendor before you buy. I believe this dealer offers a 30 exchange policy, but after that you may well be on your own unless you buy some other kind of extended warranty that explicitly covers the set during the first year.

BTW, I read somewhere that Fujitsu offers 3 years' in-home warranty coverage for sets purchased through its authorized B&M dealers; this has to be about the best plasma warranty around, provided you are willing to pay B&M prices.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.