AVS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've done some decent research as far as how Panasonic warranties their products. Also, I've done some investigating on my situation, but haven't been able to find anything.

I took delivery of my TC-P42G10 and unboxed the unit while my shipping company was present. I proceeded to plug it in and turned the unit on with my blu ray hooked up to the HDMI 1 slot. Everything appears to be great. This unit later on is brought to the bed room for it's permanent resting spot. The unit is used for a week and was never moved once it made it's way in the bedroom. I watched TV and blu ray on it for about 4-5 hours a night for that week. Sunday I go to bed and set the sleep timer. Go to work Monday. Come home and turn it on. . .Nothing! And no, I didn't not witness it's death. Well everyone knows where this is going now. . .

My death light is blinking 7 times and the Plasma's PDP is cracked
No one wants to take responsibility for this of course because "I accepted broken merchandise." To top it off Panasonic over the phone said it's abuse from you or the shipping company.

In anyone's opinion here is it a possibility the two are related. I have two days before Panasonic's authorized repairman comes out to give his biased opinion of the damage.

I will have pictures hosted up tonight.

Any help is well appreciated

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
Plasma's PDP is cracked ....

How did this happen?

·
Registered
3,422 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyclay /forum/post/16950983

I apologize if PDP isn't the proper term. I thought that was the term for the panel behind the outside glass. At any rate, the panel behind the glass is cracked.

how did it crack?

·
Registered
4,590 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyclay /forum/post/16950983

I apologize if PDP isn't the proper term. I thought that was the term for the panel behind the outside glass. At any rate, the panel behind the glass is cracked.

Are there other people who live with you, or who have access to the residence when you are not home?

Make sure to explain to the vendor, and Panasonic, that the exterior glass is not cracked. That it is an internal problem, so they must replace it under the warranty.

If you paid by credit card, get them involved in disputing the charge.

Good luck.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't know how it cracked or when. . . I fell asleep with the TV on. I set the sleep timer. I was sleeping when the TV broke or timer turned it off. I don't know which.

When I went to turn it on the screen was cracked. Along with the blinking light of death.

Any chance these are coincidence?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Greenland I've explained that it's an internal crack to panasonic, shipping company, retailer (beachcamera.com) and the local authorized repair center. Still, everyone is telling me it's damage due to humans. Myself or the shipper.

No one has access to the television. I live by my self and I have no pets.

And yes I stopped payment through my credit card company. Because BeachCamera.com refuses to take it back and give me a new one.

·
Premium Member
18,322 Posts
A PDP module can develop a crack all on it's own. It has happened to a number of people here on AVS with Samsung and LG Plasmas, so it can also happen on the almighty Panasonic just the same. The 7-blink code is a failed power supply and sometimes when a power supply pops, the force can crack the Plasma panel from behind. I have seen a few reports here where their power supply blew with a loud pop and cracked the Plasma panel. I remember reading several cracked screen threads a while back so i searched a bit and found three threads that i specifically remembered.....

Read this thread and look at Post #7 where he says a tech said that a power supply failure can crack the panel:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...light=lg+crack

Or, the glass could have had a factory defect that finally manifested itself when the TV was all nice and hot and cracked while you were asleep, taking out the power supply. Read this thread, especially Post #22 from the Ceramic Engineer:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...light=lg+crack

And here's another thread where a Plasma panel cracked right before the owners eyes:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...=samsung+crack

Don't assume the repairman will be biased. They're usually very fair and reasonable and if he's experienced, he may have seen this before. Be nice to him and try to gain his sympathy. I would suggest that you Download all three of the above threads - click "Thread Tools" then click "Download This Thread" and you can save the whole thread as a .txt document on your computer. Print them out, highlight the parts where the panel cracked on it's own and other pertinent info and show him how you researched this rare occurrence on AVS and that it can indeed happen all on it's own.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I spoke with the repairman to find out when he was coming to service the television. They told me it was scheduled then canceled from the internet. . . .meaning panasonic canceled it!

I called panasonic and they canceled my service call because my condition isn't under warranty. I demanded that they come out because that is INCLUDED service when the television was purchased. They won't send anyone out with out me calling the service shop on my own. . . unless I talked to a supervisor. . .. which none were available at the time of my call.

Let's see how this goes

this is becoming one big disappointment after another

·
Registered
50 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyclay /forum/post/16954887

They won't send anyone out with out me calling the service shop on my own. . . unless I talked to a supervisor. . .. which none were available at the time of my call.

Having recently dealt with 7 blinking lights on my S1 a few months back and a slow process to remedy I can tell you from experience trying to get to a "supervisor" or anyone capable of making a decision through Panasonic "Concierge" is no small feat.

Keep at them via phone and the chat function online. i think I got the same guy every morning (or everyone uses the "John" handle) and eventually he either felt my pain or got annoyed enough to escalate the issue.

Stay polite, but crush them with the facts, Randy brought up some great points you should continue to reiterate again and again if need be. You could even link them via the chat to the similar issues that have occurred with other customers.

·
Registered
6,045 Posts
As Randy suggested...

Call them back and say the light is blinking 7 times which indicates a power supply failure. The argument about the power supply being damaged during shipping and the problem not showing up for a week would be a lot weaker than the cracked panel argument. Once a tech arrives, the tech may conclude that all the damage was due to power supply failure and fix everything needed to get the TV working again.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just purchased a Panasonic TC-P50G10. Ten days after I bought it it just went off out of the blue. The panel is cracked and the light blinks also seven times. Panasonic México told me the exact same thing, that the television was unproperly handled, when I turned to the store where I purcheased it they declined any responsibility as well. I logged on to the net to find answers and THANK GOD I FOUND THIS POST.

I live in Guadalajara México. I have the same problem. I´m calling Panasonic México one more time to tell them about your situation and that it is becoming a recurrent problem. It is their fault then. We have the same type of product with the same type of problem.

José González

Guadalajara, México.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyclay /forum/post/16950657

I've done some decent research as far as how Panasonic warranties their products. Also, I've done some investigating on my situation, but haven't been able to find anything.

I took delivery of my TC-P42G10 and unboxed the unit while my shipping company was present. I proceeded to plug it in and turned the unit on with my blu ray hooked up to the HDMI 1 slot. Everything appears to be great. This unit later on is brought to the bed room for it's permanent resting spot. The unit is used for a week and was never moved once it made it's way in the bedroom. I watched TV and blu ray on it for about 4-5 hours a night for that week. Sunday I go to bed and set the sleep timer. Go to work Monday. Come home and turn it on. . .Nothing! And no, I didn't not witness it's death. Well everyone knows where this is going now. . .

My death light is blinking 7 times and the Plasma's PDP is cracked
No one wants to take responsibility for this of course because "I accepted broken merchandise." To top it off Panasonic over the phone said it's abuse from you or the shipping company.

In anyone's opinion here is it a possibility the two are related. I have two days before Panasonic's authorized repairman comes out to give his biased opinion of the damage.

I will have pictures hosted up tonight.

Any help is well appreciated

·
Registered
44 Posts
This wasnt excatly the thread I wanted to see right before I pull the trigger on picking up a G10

Let me know how you both end up. Panasonic is supposed to have great customer service, compared to the likes of Samsung at least. So hopefully they give you both new TV's.

·
Registered
928 Posts
We have been an authorized dealer AND servicenter for a number of brands for over 20 years and i have YET to hear of a panel 'cracking' on its own. But who know how these things go....my suggestion to you is to keep your fingers crossed when i ask u to check if u used an AMEX in the purchase. They will usually cover any mishap that befalls the set given the $ amt charged. Other platinum ccards will do the same thing---but u gotta ask (kinda like the accidental death insurance when purchasing airline tkts).

so good luck....

Because, being a Panasonic servicenter, i would have to refuse the repair under warranty since the 'old' panel must be returned in order for us to get credit on an in-warranty repair and when the returns dept sees a damaged panel-they would charge US for it !!

thanks,

alan in cc, Tx

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.