AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have $3K to spend... would like a Panny 42PX25U or 42PHD7UY .... think I should wait it out and see if prices drop?

Any other brands to look at in this range? There are a few HD plasmas now for $3K but they all seem to have one major flaw. What are the chances there will be any reputable HD plasmas for $3K by the end of the year?

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
In my opinion, the Panasonic 42PHD7UY will not be at $3000 in 2 or 3 months. And, I doubt the consumers' version will be at $4000 in that time frame. I did see a Philips 42'' HD display at $3500 but this was a hot deal for one day.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Joxer
Maybe by New Years 2006.
Definitely by 2006. Maybe superbowl sales or or post superbowl MSRP price drops from on-line dealers. $3k may hit B&M stores around the next generation around sept 05.

JCPZero

·
Registered
499 Posts
Quote:
There are a few HD plasmas now for $3K but they all seem to have one major flaw.
Like what?

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
the flaw are their brands like Vizio or Hisense. No brand name HD plasma in that price range

·
Registered
414 Posts
The problem with waiting until Christmas or after is that the better models get depleted before Christmas leaving shortages for the good stuff like the Panny and lower prices on what they couldn't move like some of these off brands. Then SupperBowl fever hits in January further depleting the stock and retailers hate to order for January due to the anticipated returns. I did that last year and lost out and ended up getting a RPTV to hold me over. This year I'm looking to make a buy this week, just waiting for a local store to get some in or I'll just give up midweek and buy online. If I thought I could save a few hundred I would wait but I seriously doubt it.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Jim Banville
Like what?
HD Plasmas under/around $3K that I'm aware of...

1. Vizio P42HD, loaded with features, seems like a great bargain but unknown brand and no reviews anywhere

2. Viewsonic VPW450HD, reviews say super loud fan, no HDCP/HDMI

3. Toshiba 42HP83P, one or two reviews of loud fan noise

4. LG MU-42PZ90XC, no known reviews, unknown quality

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Look for clearance models at Sears. A while back they had the Toshiba HD 42" model on sale for $2,999, and a 42" Hitachi display model went for about $3,200.

You might also consider Hitachi's direct sale of refurbs at about 42% off list price. Contact their customer service for information. Also see your PM.

·
Registered
767 Posts
I am just hoping for the 50 to go under 4K early next year.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by morpho
I apologize, it's under 4k for HD7uy not 3k. Sorry no luck.

regards,

morpho
Actually Panasonic 42" HD 6UY was very close to 3K at Dell during these "super duper double coupons" days. I think I paid 3.3K with free shipping.

Will

·
Registered
304 Posts
While on this subject.....

Anyone notice TVA's price on the 50 7uy.

Halloween treats are raining:D :D :D

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DominoGold
HD Plasmas under/around $3K that I'm aware of...

1. Vizio P42HD, loaded with features, seems like a great bargain but unknown brand and no reviews anywhere

2. Viewsonic VPW450HD, reviews say super loud fan, no HDCP/HDMI

3. Toshiba 42HP83P, one or two reviews of loud fan noise

4. LG MU-42PZ90XC, no known reviews, unknown quality
I have a Toshiba 42HP83P. There is no fan noise issues with my unit. Have had it for about 2 months now. Maybe they changed the fan motors recently?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.