AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sony showed a 42" LCD at CES $11K msrp. Since then I was told that Samsung and Sony invested 2 B to open a LCD manufacturing plant and that they would share the panels produced. In the new plant they will be able to cut 4- 42" panels out of one sheet of glass. I guess that if they can produce a sheet that big that there is no reason, other than cost vs displays per sheet, to produce larger LCD displays. Did anyone else hear this?

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
I was told the MSRP was $13,000 at CES. The plant investment, yes, is real.

Being able to cut those 4 panels implies an 84" panel is possible, but not very likely. It'd have lower yields (1 vs. 4), it'd have challenging logistics, and it'd need to cost >$50,000.

Other sizes might simply be completely uneconomical.

That said, Samsung has announced a 57" panel, so I expect that next year, they will deliver such a thing.

The 42" Sony is based on LG's panel, by the way, not Samsung's. Samsung has no 42" panel, only a 40" and an announced 46".

·
Registered
50 Posts
This month sharp opened a new plant that does 150x180cm mother panels (8x 32" screens at a time). That would be a 92" diag screen if it was not cut up. Of course it would also be 3840x2160 res assuming the same pixel pitch as the 45" screen made there.

Obviously they can vary the pixel pitch since the 26-37 all have the same res.

http://sharp-world.com/aquos/kameyama/index.html

just something to look forward to.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Sharp has talked of potentially a ~60" panel out of what they have built plant-wise. But that's as large as you will see from what they have. There is no plan for anything larger. I'm sure the economics would be horrible.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.