AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the market for a plasma, but can't decide if the extra size of a 50" is worth it...

$3,600 for a 42" panny, or $6,100 for a pioneer 50".

is the 80% increase in price worth it? i've seen these units in person, but it's really hard to judge their sizes on the showroom, especially with huge 60"+ projection TV next to them...

MMAfia

·
Banned
3,023 Posts
You should really compare to HD panels, not one ED vs an HD panel as you are doing. The HD 42" Panasonic is closer to $5500 so the price difference isn't so huge. What is your viewing distance - thats what should drive the size you need.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
if i were to get a 42", i think i'd stick with the panny ED model since it seems that while the HD unit is better, it's only marginally better (the other outstanding qualities of the panny such as contrast ratio, black levels, etc. which are similar on the HD/ED units seem to diminish the *relative* benefits from increased resolution)... and 50" units i've seen from the better manufacturers (panny, pioneer, nec, etc.) are all HD. maybe at that size, the resolution increase would play a bigger role...

u r right though... my viewing distance is about 7-8 feet. would that be too close for a 50" unit? hmmm.... i know calculating the correct distance using the height of the viewable image and all that, but i like sitting much closer than recommended (i sit like 3 feet away) from my sampo 34" direct view...

MMAfia

·
Banned
3,023 Posts
8feet would be OK for a 50" with HD or DVD program material, might be a little close for poorer quality old analog NTSC video however.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
that sounds right... guess the only way to tell is to hit the stores again to check em out...

thx bro.

MMAfia

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Whats up Sang!! You wanna hear something funny? We both have the same name and share the same tastes:) I'll give you one hint, my screen name has something to do with our other "hobby":) I also am leaning toward the panny 42 in sd tv. I just joined this forum a few days ago and have been enjoying it immensely. Take care dude!

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
puahahahaha!!!!

e46 represent!!!!

PLAZMA this chirstmas would be t-i-g-h-t!

panny SD 42" is probably the best bang for the buck, no doubt.

but 50" and DVI on the Pioneer 50" is killah!

:D :D :D :D

MMAfia

·
Banned
2,166 Posts
Monkeymafia, are you ditching your trusty Sampo, buddy?

I am in the same boat. I am thinking that if I am to go for a plasma, why not to go for the whole 9 yards and get the 50-incher. I don't want to upgrade in 2 years again... My wife is giving me enough grief about getting rid of my Sampo after 2 yrs or so... And I can't even put it into our bedroom - it's too big...

Dilemmas, dilemmas...

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hahaha... no- gonna keep the sampo at the food of my bed in my bedroom. but yeah, it does take up a lotta space! HD on that set still blows me away, especially live broadcasts using the sony HD cam...

living room currently has an old SD 43" 4:3 Sony RPTV- i CAN'T stand the crappy picture of that set anymore after being spoiled by the sampo. so, gotta upgrade!

i tell u though... i STILL haven't seen a direct-view set that beats the [email protected] DVD viewing experience yet. can't even begin to think what the pioneer 503cmx will look like onced hooked up via DVI at 1280x720 to watch DVD, never mind HD!

MMAfia

·
Registered
273 Posts
my personal feeling is that all the research is going into the 50" and larger displays, and that nearly all the 42/43" ones are going to start looking pretty old quickly.

This is already evident in the fact that none of the 42/43" HD units on the market have square pixels (i.e. 1024x768 or 1024x1024 both at 16x9 aspect ratios), and all of the 50/60+" units are square or close (either 1280x720 or 1368x768 at 16x9).

I think that by the end of next year, the 40-something and lower market will be dominated by LCD displays, and the 50+ market will go to the plasmas.

Just my $0.02 ;) CES will be telling as to whether that prediction is on track or not...

-Dave

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.