Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you got the Itis?

I am having the dilema between a 42" NEC/Pio Ed and a 50" Pio 504Cmx. Basicly the differnce now is 2 bills vs. 3.5 . I have set the deadline for the first week of September, as there is a rumor prices could drop then. If this happens it may be even tougher decision.

Have you 42" owners wanted to upgrade, and if so how long did it take?

Pros/Cons 42"

Can move to Bedroom in a 2-4 years, cheaper.

Pros/Cons 50"

May stop the itch to move to 55 or 61. However cant move to bedroom.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Having looked at the 42" and 50" for quite a while now I can defintely say the small increase in size is not worth an extra $1500. In the end though the decision is all about your eyes and your wallet.

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
Same here...also went ED now and will go HD in a few years with a fairly larger size after some of this stuff has settled out and hopefully there is more content. At least that's the plan.

·
Registered
308 Posts
42" is ok...50" are still too expensive for their size

·
Registered
69 Posts
I must say going from a big 42" tube TV in the family room to a 43" plasma was a jump up in PQ but size wise, it was a sideways shuffle. That said, the 43" Pio is such a big improvement that I watch it much more than the old tube set. I can't see going any bigger for esthetic reasons in the entertainment center the Pio is in. Plus the 43" is good enough.

That got me started on upgrading a bedroom from 27" tube, to 32" Proview LCD (several flaws) to 42" Maxent plasma! The Maxent is not as good as the Pioneer but it is a great value for the money and the few drawbacks are outweighed by the much larger size and PQ and the reasonable cost.

So in answer to the question, I got a bug but not the way your question asks.

Now there is another bedroom which has a 27" tube..... :D

·
Registered
15,358 Posts
Our 42" plasma suits the size of our relatively small living/viewing room quite well, so on that note I'm not compelled to upgrade.

But on pure "viewing experience" grounds I am compelled to upgrade to a larger plasma. Which is why I'm looking at doing the home theater thing in a larger room that will accommodate a bigger screen.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
42" is fine with me. I only use my plasma for TV viewing and 42" seems about right. I use a FP for movies. I would like a 42" HD plasma with square pixles though.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
I have limited space so 42" is as big as I can get without new furniture. At 10ft the 42" size is OK considering DVD and SD of today. As more and more content is HD, including HD DVD I expect an urge in the future to move to 50". I figure with droping prices, I can have a 42" now and buy a 50" in the future - effectively two TVs for the price of one 50" today. Then move the 42" to either bedroom or living room.

JCPZero

·
Registered
137 Posts
42 inch ED .. less painful on the wallet and still a big screen. Once you get it in your room the itch for a bigger screen will diminish. Plus, like you said, you can always move it into the bedroom in a couple of years when HD becomes more reasonable.

I'm on the 3 year ED program until HD becomes less of a luxury and more commonplace. There really isn't enough content out there now to justify the leap IMO.

·
Premium Member
18,319 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregP
I am having the dilema between a 42" NEC/Pio Ed and a 50" Pio 504Cmx. Basicly the differnce now is 2 bills vs. 3.5 . I have set the deadline for the first week of September, as there is a rumor prices could drop then. If this happens it may be even tougher decision.

Have you 42" owners wanted to upgrade, and if so how long did it take?
A 50" isn't necessarily an upgrade if the viewing distance is like 7-8 feet. If the distance is say 10 feet or more then yes it's an upgrade over a 42 incher but at lesser distances it probaby won't look as good as the smaller one.

My eyes are 7 and 8 feet from the screen and even after 3 months i don't feel the need to get a 50 incher, and probably never will unless i rearrange the living room so i'm watching TV the long way (11-13 feet). But i like it just the way it is so no Itis here

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
No -itis here either with a 42ED Panny:

1. It's not paid for until May...of 2007

2. Perfect for a smallish living room (8-11 ft viewing distances)

3. Front projector in the "real" HT room...

4. I need more credits in the "wife bank" before I can go buying another plasma anyway, even with as much as she loves our current PDP.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
I have owned a 42" ED Panasonic since last November, and yes I would love a 50". But when I consider the 50 would cost $2,500 more (enough to buy a good multichannel amp), and SD sources may actually not look as good, plus my whole physical setup would have to be changed or replaced (more dollars), I find myself losing the itch, at least for now. When hi-def DVDs and recorders hit the street at affordable prices I may change my mind.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I purchased the 42 inch VIzio back in Jan. As this replaced my 15-yr old 28" Sony CRT, it was a big step up in size, and I thought that it would be more than satisfactory.

My standard viewing distance, from my easy chair, is 9-10 ft. However, when a good HD program [Nova, Nat. Geographic Special, etc.] was on, I found myself getting a lawn chair and placing it about 4ft from the 42" set, and watching the program from there, in order to be able to see all the incredible detail. I must admit, that I also like the 'immersive' experience of being close to the screen.

Last week, when Vizio's new 50" Plasma [MSRP $3299] became available at Costco [at a discount, of course], I purchased it and have been trying it out in my family room. It's perfect from my 9-10 ft viewing distance, and even looks great from the kitchen [16 ft].

Yesterday I returned my 42", so my upgrade only ended up costing me $600 + tax. I couldn't be happier!

Joe B-

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
42" still seems huge when i used to have a 27" wega, i'm still amazed everytime i step into the living room!

Cant wait for the superbowl this yr, saw my first HD preseason game last week, i'm not a big football fan but Red Sox baseball looks phenominal on INHD!!

·
Registered
42 Posts
The reason I am thinking about the 50 inch is because I have preordered the xbox 360 and all of the games are at a minimum 720p (1280x720) so I will have true HD content to look forward to, also I will be upgrading my DirectTV service to HD once I get the plasma. BUT... my current livingroom is 13 x 14 (viewing distance at around 8 to 10). I am concerned that the 50 will be too big, but the 42 too small. Also, in a year or so I will be buying a house and this will change (larger livingroom for sure).

Right now I have a 32 inch Samsung CRT HDTV and it is just too small for the room. I went to the stores and the 42 looked smallish...

My budget is limited but I could manage a 50 (not sure yet - but hoping).

Any thoughts on how to best handle it? Save some money now and have a small TV later, or spend more money now and be more "Future Proof"...

·
Registered
4,889 Posts
I have had a Panny ED for about three years and was sitting about 10 feet away. It was great. However, I picked up the 50" in November and it is a huge improvement in viewing with the larger size at that viewing distance. The same is true at 6 or 8 feet as the pixels are much smaller than either the ED or the HD 42" sets. YOu really have to get close to the screen to see the pixels on the 50" set. The 42" is now resting comfortably in the bedroom.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.