AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 42" Panny Plasma and I am trying to connect my Toshiba DST 3000 HDTV receiver and my Toshiba progressive DVD to the Plasma. Is there a way to do this without an S-Video, and use all componet video cables? Will a VGA to componet cable work?

I was thinking of buying a new surrond receiver with componet video switching and routing it that way. Any help would be great.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
The last idea is the best. A good receiver with appropriate (high enough bandwidth switching) would rock.

The Panasonic only has one HD input, so you are kinda busted without a switchbox or a receiver or a kludge: run the HD through the component ins and get some sort of transcoder to take the component out of the DVD and run that in through the VGA, which will take 480p just fine (but not HD).

Mark

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
If you're not ready to spring for the receiver, which I agree is the optimum solution, you could TRY running the HD signal into the VGA port. Panny will tell you that HDTV in the VGA port is not supported (that port is really for use as a computer display). Also, some people here have had insoluble problems with horizontal "seams" in an HD picture when they try.

However, a number of us have run HD into the VGA port and, through careful diddling of the vertical size control, have made the seams disappear. I've been running my Panny this way for over a year and couldn't be happier with the HD picture.

Your mileage may vary.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm using a keydigital component switcher.

You connect your HDTV receiver and DBS to this with your component cables. The switcher detects which feed is active, and automatically goes to the proper side.

It works great, and is cheap..around $220, and you'll get better results this way then using a transducer.

Problem Solved.

Check out the KD-SW2x1 at www.keydigital.com

Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Might not be as convenient as the one above, but there is a JVC manual component video switch box (~$75 at etronics.com).

I have a receiver with two component input, but have three component video sources. So, I connected an HD satellite receiver directly to one input on the receiver, and a DVD player and an Xbox to the switch box and then to the receiver. It works for me since most of the time, I will be watching a DVD...

Hong.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Spoffo: I had no idea you tweaked the seams out of existence. Tell me more about this. Can you bring them back and make them go away?

Mark

·
Registered
15,351 Posts
toddl3,

I've been interested in the Key Digital switcher. Did you do any testing to discern if there is any noticeable change or degradation in the signal when you run the DVD player throug the switcher, vs going straight into the plasma?

(I know that theoretically you probably shouldn't see a difference, especially given the Key Digital Switcher's bandwidth. But I also know that other people have bought some switchers that were not supposed to degrade the signal, but did.)

Thanks,

Rich.

·
Registered
88 Posts
A kludge is an sub-par solution usualling involving spit, bubble gum, or baling wire.

In other words it works but it ain't pretty or necessarily reliable in the long run.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Rogo -

I never had a terrible seams problem with my 42 - nothing as bad as some of the horror pictures people here have posted. First out of the box last year, I mainly noticed them as a sort of widely-spaced saw tooth on very clear diagonals (like the mountain ridges on the old Discovery HD loop) and sometimes as a definite seam in the CBS "Eye" logo.

I started experimenting and discovered that the vertical size control shifts the seams and seems to affect their visibility. Working one click at a time on the vertical size, I found a setting that made them pretty much disappear. Very rarely - literally maybe once a month - I can still spot a slight seam on a shot - - usually a pan across a long diagonal. For daily viewing it's now a non-issue, and I haven't been tempted to explore a VGA to component transcoder or other work-around.

For what it's worth, the sweet spot on my set is vertical size 4 clicks to the right of neutral. And yes, if I move the setting a few clicks away from this they become much more noticable again.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Spoffo: I would love to see that demo-ed someday. You will have to invite me over :). I never found a control that could solve the problem and so I have a Toshiba 43" RPTV right now. With the new pricing on the Panasonic.... oooh.... I'm tempted.

Mark

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.