AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, i'm finally in the market for a plasma screen, and have been diligently reading all the posts here. I'm inclined towards the Panasonic 42" HDs - probably consumer version because I don't want to deal with service hassles, and I like built in speakers and front inputs.

So here's my question: Should I bite now and get the TH-42PX, which doesn't support 720p, or should I try to be patient and wait until the new models come out (? spring 2004)? I'll most likely be using Comcast HD, which has a box that'll translate to 1080i for me, but I wonder if i'll be missing out by not seeing everything in its native resolution...

Does anyone have any info on what panasonic has planned for their next release, and is it worth waiting for?? My local electronics shop (whom I trust) tells me a price drop of about 10% is expected for the various panasonic models..

Thanks in advance for your expert opinions!

·
Registered
500 Posts
I don't have an expert opinion, but I do have an opinion. The model you like just hit the street in the last few weeks. You would have to wait another 12 months, or longer, to get next year's model. If there is one ... :) Panansonic has been on a yearly announcement cycle, but who knows! If you like it, buy it.... At 10% a year (or more) you are still going to have to wait a long time before it becomes free ... :)

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
Why not wait till computer prices drop also!!

Prices now are much better than last year but look what you'd be missin.

Got my TH-42PHD6uy and 2 weeks later still can't get over the larger screen (from 27"). Picture is fenominal and just got HD feed from major networks through Time Warner. It just keeps getting better and better.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey, for the record, i'm also waiting for Intel's new Prescott processors to come out before I buy my next computer. Maybe there's something wrong with me...

·
Registered
579 Posts
You can enjoy HDTV on plasma several hours a day everyday with the price of a few thousand dollars. Your car costs 5-10 times as much and I don't think most people enjoy their commute to work. You can wait for a few years for the price to go down but missed all the fun for a few years.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by lfarj
Hey, for the record, i'm also waiting for Intel's new Prescott processors to come out before I buy my next computer. Maybe there's something wrong with me...
There's nothing wrong with you. Sounds like there isn't anything available right now that matches your cost/benefit analysis.

Perhaps when Intel releases their 1 Terahertz chip and a 50" plasma can be had for as cheap as a DVD player at Wal Mart, you will be ready to buy a new computer AND a plasma.;)

Glen

·
Registered
899 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by technofan
You can enjoy HDTV on plasma several hours a day everyday with the price of a few thousand dollars. Your car costs 5-10 times as much and I don't think most people enjoy their commute to work. You can wait for a few years for the price to go down but missed all the fun for a few years.
I thought of something very similar to this also. Nowadays, it is VERY easy to add about $5,000 in options to a $25,000 car and yet still have very little if any functional difference in the car. On your daily commute you would feel little if any difference between the $25K car and the $30K car. You would derive minimal satisfaction from those extra costly options. OTOH, a $3,000 plasma can provide significantly greater enjoyment than say a 27" standard definition TV.

Glen

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
mmmmm Terahertz... OK, but seriously now, cost aside (because, HONESTLY 10% is not such a big deal), is the lack of 720p support on the Panasonic TH-42PX an issue?

·
Registered
548 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by GlenH
I thought of something very similar to this also. Nowadays, it is VERY easy to add about $5,000 in options to a $25,000 car and yet still have very little if any functional difference in the car. On your daily commute you would feel little if any difference between the $25K car and the $30K car. You would derive minimal satisfaction from those extra costly options. OTOH, a $3,000 plasma can provide significantly greater enjoyment than say a 27" standard definition TV.

Glen
I don't like the car analogy.

The car $25,000 to 30000 --> 20% increase

The display $500 (for a 27 inch SD) to $3000 --> 600% increase

It all comes down to preferences. If I put the money into a good stereo for the car, say $2000, it would be a substanial increase in enjoyment in my commute, and money well spent.

As far as the original post, I would wait until the new Pioneers come out and do a comparison at that time and pick the display you like best.

Have fun,

John Flegert

·
Registered
532 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jflegert

I do. The dent in my bank account is absolute. I want to use that to buy some absolute enjoyment.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Quote:

Have fun,

John Flegert
A 27"SD tv is comparable to Plasma with good DVD or HD feed as a small black and white TV compared to a large color TV. Most plasma owners has 1 or more SD TV when they buy the plasma. I have 4 in my house, want to buy 1?

·
Registered
76 Posts
I wrestled with this question, and I think I am waiting about a month or so. Here is why...

First, thanks to the great advice on this forum, I have decided that I NEED to review a Panny 6uy HD screen before I make my decision. You can't just go to a Best Buy to look at one sicne the commercial edition is the only one out, but the consumer version of the 6uy HD should be out in a month or so. Right now I am sold on the Pio CMX433, but I think I need to give the Panny a shot.

Also, in a month, the 434 from Pio should be coming out. If Pio keeps what is good about the 433 and improves on it, then the 434 could be the screen for me.

You can go now, and you definately do not want to get trapped in the "if I just wait a little longer..." frame of mine, but for one month, it's worth the wait.

For me. :)

Matt

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
Buy whenever you can't stand it anymore. I just got the major networks HD broadcast this past week and am absolutely blown away by HD content. Can't wait to see sporting events in HD. Have the TH-42pxdy6uy, connections weren't a problem, having everything going through my Denon 2803 receiver.

As far as in home or carry in warranty, I'm an optomist and hope the carry in never becomes an issue with me. If it does, NJ isn't too far to drive for me plus I kept the boxes. You see, I couldn't wait for consumer version to come out plus I did like the commercial benefits (plus I didn't really have room for plasma with speakers in my setup anyway).

Waiting for a 10% price drop (that's about what the drop was when released of the 6 series over the 5 series), it depends on if you want to wait until next August/September for this drop which should be when the next series comes out. And as mentioned above, you would defenitely be missing out of a whole year of true video enjoyment.

Whatever your choice, good luck!

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
If you have the money, buy now or within several months. Products will always tend to get better from year to year. 10-15 years from now, all these current 'great' looking tvs will look very old and sick by comparison at that time. Progress will never cease. It is the force that drives our economy..for more and more profits. And that is very good!

·
Registered
31 Posts
I was in the same boat but I went ahead and bit the bullet a couple days ago. My local Sears pricematched the lowest price I could find on the internet for the consumer 42" ED Panny Plasma and I can honestly say that I feel guilty that I got such a good deal (Sub $3k no tax etc...) Now I just wait until wed. when it will be here! :D

·
Registered
35 Posts
I had been trolling this forum for over a year, made a list of must have's in a plasma set (screen size, HDTV capability, DVI-HDCP, price) and a list of don't need (speakers, on-board tuners). I set a reasonable time frame for choosing my set. This forum had informed me early on of the release of the new Panny models this Fall, so I waited for their release to compare. When the price was way below the $5K I wanted to spend, it was a very easy choice.

I've always made big purchases this way, always given at least 6 months for research. When I finally pull the trigger I feel that I got the best value for my money and I know what the competition had to offer.

Now if only I bought the 50 incher....

·
Registered
899 Posts
Quote:

Originally posted by tuquet
I do. The dent in my bank account is absolute. I want to use that to buy some absolute enjoyment.
tuquet -

Exactly! The $5000, whether spent on car options or on a plasma hits my bank account by exactly the same amount. $5000 in options for a car buys me stuff like wood trim, leather, auto dimming mirrors, etc. that gives very little utility on top of the $25,000 car.

OTOH, $3000 for a 42" panny plasma gives hours of DAILY enjoyment for years and years (probably longer than the life of the car).

But, this is just my opinion. Others place greater value on enjoyment of their cars. That's fine too.

Glen

·
Registered
87 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by lfarj
is the lack of 720p support on the Panasonic TH-42PX an issue?
You'll probably never know without comparing a commercial and consumer unit side by side with a 720p feed.

That said, one of the reasons I went with a 6UY was for its 720p support, as I thought my HD cable box (Motorola 5100) would have native pass through. In fact it passes through only 4:3 content. Otherwise, you must choose between 720p and 1080i. What I found was that for me, the extra scaling does not make a perceivable difference (e.g. 720p to 1080i to 480p vs 720p to 480p). That's on an ED display, mind you, but the scalers do seem to work well.

YMMV

RSS

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.