AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone recommend a current model 42" plasma that is known for deep blacks and has isfccc controls?

·
Premium Member
18,327 Posts
I don't think such a beast exists in North America.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That one is 720p. Forgot to say it must be 1080. Pioneer spoiled us and then left the world drooling for more. Damn them.

·
Premium Member
18,327 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll /forum/post/20895764

Did a web search with your question. You could have found the following: (LG 42PJ350C)

That LG only fulfills one of his requirements (ISFccc), but not his deep black level requirement. LG's black levels are the worst of all Plasma makers (firmly planted in Last Place).

Comtec5 - the best 42" TV you can buy at any price is the Panasonic TC-P42ST30 (3D model). It has the deepest black levels and best picture quality of any sub-50" TV on the market, is 1080p, but does not have your ISFccc requirement. Nothing else will come close in the 42" size.

·
Premium Member
18,327 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by comtech5 /forum/post/20895846

That one is 720p. Forgot to say it must be 1080. Pioneer spoiled us and then left the world drooling for more. Damn them.

Well Pioneer never made a 42" 1080p set, only 50" and above so they wouldn't have had anything for you anyway

·
Registered
249 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters /forum/post/20896893

the best 42" TV you can buy at any price is the Panasonic TC-P42ST30 (3D model).

My suggestion also. Hoping there's a drop in price by xmas.

·
Registered
43 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters /forum/post/20896893

That LG only fulfills one of his requirements (ISFccc), but not his deep black level requirement. LG's black levels are the worst of all Plasma makers (firmly planted in Last Place).

Comtec5 - the best 42" TV you can buy at any price is the Panasonic TC-P42ST30 (3D model). It has the deepest black levels and best picture quality of any sub-50" TV on the market, is 1080p, but does not have your ISFccc requirement. Nothing else will come close in the 42" size.

What about the Panny TC-P42S30? I'm guessing it's the same, just w/o the 3D. I found a good deal on that one.

·
Premium Member
18,327 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthomas666 /forum/post/20897296

What about the Panny TC-P42S30? I'm guessing it's the same, just w/o the 3D.

No, the S30 is completely different than the ST30 and is inferior in every category. The S30 is an entry-level model and is not nearly in the same league as the ST30 even when you completely ignore the ST30's 3D ability. There are many posts and threads about the differences (inferior panel, inferior black levels, inferior processing, inferior AR Filter, less picture adjustability, etc). The only thing the S30 has going for it is a lower price, but that's it - and that lower price isn't worth the huge hit you'd take in picture quality and performance.

·
Registered
43 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters /forum/post/20897332

No, the S30 is completely different than the ST30 and is inferior in every category. The S30 is an entry-level model and is not nearly in the same league as the ST30 even when you completely ignore the ST30's 3D ability. There are many posts and threads about the differences (inferior panel, inferior black levels, inferior processing, inferior AR Filter, less picture adjustability, etc). The only thing the S30 has going for it is a lower price, but that's it - and that lower price isn't worth the huge hit you'd take in picture quality and performance.

OK. At $499 I thought it might be worth a look. I'm not interested in 3D, and the user reviews I've seen have been generally favorable. Right now, i can't really pay much more than that, and my 30" Samsung widescreen CRT is getting a little long in the tooth.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Doesn't make any sense that Panasonic didn't put the isfccc in the ST30. They put it in a lot of their other models. These companies have no idea how to manufacture and market a product correctly.

·
Registered
43 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthomas666 /forum/post/20897645

It would if I had an extra $300 to spare.

First rule of sales: There's always a discount if you're persistent enough.

After checking w/ a sales rep, I can get the TC-P42ST30 for ~$150 more than the TC-P42S30 . If I can get tires on the car for decent price this weekend, I'm gonna go for it.

·
Premium Member
18,327 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by comtech5 /forum/post/20897679

Doesn't make any sense that Panasonic didn't put the isfccc in the ST30. They put it in a lot of their other models. These companies have no idea how to manufacture and market a product correctly.

What other models? AFAIK the only consumer model with ISFccc is their flagship VT30 model. I imagine 99% of plasma TV buyers will not be having it professionally ISF calibrated anyway so why go through the expense of including it in their lesser models?

·
Registered
7,488 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthomas666 /forum/post/20897931

First rule of sales: There's always a discount if you're persistent enough.

After checking w/ a sales rep, I can get the TC-P42ST30 for ~$150 more than the TC-P42S30 . If I can get tires on the car for decent price this weekend, I'm gonna go for it.

Yes, some of the big box stores will negotiate price, as sales prices go up and down throughout the year. They just normally will not sell below cost. Also research online vendors and competing stores and see if they will match the price you want. And if you want a 50inch, the LG 720p version is available at your price of $499 this weekend at HHG. A decent TV similar to the Samsung version, but glare must be controlled. But if you want 1080p and the 42inch, then the ST30 is indeed your best choice. But you may want to look at the Samsung PN43D450 or the LG version. These 720p models do look nice, and can be had for $399-$419. But good luck if you really want that ST30.

·
Registered
389 Posts

Quote:
the best 42" TV you can buy at any price is the Panasonic TC-P42ST30 (3D model). It has the deepest black levels and best picture quality of any sub-50" TV on the market, is 1080p, but does not have your ISFccc requirement. Nothing else will come close in the 42" size.

There is a Panasonic P42VT30, just not for sale in North America. I guess at any price you could import one from overseas. But it might be impossible to find one with an ATSC tuner

But now I think of it, it might be possible to stuff the electronics from a 55" VT30 into an imported 42" VT30 to get an ATSC tuner

·
Registered
10,898 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters /forum/post/20897332

Would you make the same recommendation if the S30 were to be used, not as my main HDTV, but as a non-HDTV for TV2 with E*?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.