AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at buying either a DLP Samsung HLN50 for about $3,600, or possibly a cheaper Plasma like the Sampo for about the same price but I don't know anything about them and how their picture looks versus a DLP or other plasma tv's? They don't have them in the stores but I can order it online so I haven't been able to look at the picture? Any help???

·
Registered
497 Posts
I was not impressed with the PQ from the Sampo at all. It looked very "blue" in the dark areas and had noticeable pixelation. I can't really describe it other than to say I saw flying blocks. Sounds weird but true!

For about the same price you can get a Panasonic which has amazing backs and brilliant colors. Read the posts here. It seems to be the best for the price right now.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have Sampo PME42X6 for about three months now, which I bought for approx. same price from Costco on-line. General opinion on this forum - the Sampo is the last thing to look at. It may be based on quality of older models. HDTV model, in spite of some limitations (look at other posts, I discussed it already), overall not too bad. At least my panel does not have any "very "blue" in the dark areas and noticeable pixelation". It did required some setting adjustments initially, but which panel does not. HD programing from Comcast cable (component 1080i) looks very, very good. 1024x768 feed from Bravo D1 incredible. As a second monitor for my Powerbook Ti (RGB input) for slide shows etc very good. I still think it was a good deal, especially taking in consideration Costco's return policy. I could return it any time without any restocking fee (some guys charge 25% for it). No regrets so far. Regular SD programing is not good. Becomes watchable after I switch it to 480p so. I do not know is it a plasma or signal or both. No HDCP and moreover 720p and 1080i both disabled on DVI input. New Gateway 42" HDTV looks by specs exactly like Sampo with optional TV tuner card installed. I use its User Manual which is much better written then Sampo's. Would be nice to get Gateway's remote too. I know nothing about Samsung DLP. Sorry.

·
Banned
3,539 Posts
Its good for a price of under $2500 that I've seen some retailers sometimes discount it to. Not at a higher price because you could get a higher quality Panasonic 42" for that.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hey ThumperBoy, where did you find 42" HD, not HDTV compatible, plasma for under $2500? Let us know. We might start our own reselling business.

·
Banned
3,539 Posts
That Sampo 42" is an 852x480 resolution model, not an "HD" model - I've seen the Sampo 42" 852x480 ED plasma at various stores like Fry's when its on sale for $2500 a few months ago.

·
Registered
76 Posts
You live, Thumperboy, in the last century (not too bad, only three years behind). PME-42X6 is 1024x1024 ALiS panel and on the market for a while. You are confusing it with old ED model PME-42S6. I know it's idiotic marketing to change one letter and expect people would get it right away. Regards.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.