AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Interested in purchasing a Panasonic TH-42PWD6UY, but have some concerns about it's resolution. I'm itching to get into the plasma market, but don't think it's worth the extra cash for me right now to go with a ED model for the premium they are asking.

I'm big on hooking an HTPC up to this unit, but wondering if the resolution is too little to have a usable Windows desktop?

Unfortunately, it doesn't look like I'll have the chance to see one in person and really spend the time that I'd need to with it. Unless someone in the Massachusetts area cares to help out?? So, is anyone doing anything similar with it? Is the 850x480 or whatever creating a usable desktop?

How about the feature that it has to take a higher resolution image and scale it down? Will that allow a usable 'higher' resolution desktop? What resolutions will it scale down?

Lastly, just to confirm, does the unit have a VGA input standard? RGB/BNC? DVI?

Thanks in advance...

Any help/comments appreciated!

Mike

·
Registered
258 Posts
Mike,

I have the consumer version of this display... while the two versions are similar in many ways, there are a few differences, so take this for what it's worth...

I've been playing around with Powerstrip and a notebook with the 42PA20U, and I've managed to get a pretty usable PC display at 1280x720 resolution through the VGA input, which has been reported in another thread to work very well with the PWD6UY. In my case, this resolution resulted in a pretty severe amount of overscan (not sure why) so that I had to make some major adjustments to picture size to get it right, which resulted in some text distortion - I'm still trying to tweak it a bit more for sharper text, but this works okay for me for what I want to do with it (use Media Player to display visualizations on the plasma while streaming MP3s to my stereo).

For best quality, many recommend that you send a display its native resolution, or as close as you can get to it - in the case of this particular ED display, this is 852x480, though since resolutions should be divisible by 8 for best effect, it works out to 856x480 with two pixels of overscan on each side. However, I personally find this to result in a less-than-usable desktop size for most computing tasks, other than DVD playback and the like.

The PWD6UY should come with a VGA connection by default, and an optional DVI connection can be purchased for (I think) around $200. There are one or two threads floating around talking about HTPC and DVI on the 6UY.... here's a link to one of them:

Panny 6UY and 20U HTPC DVI connections, issues, and results

The 6UY also comes with BNC connectors for the component inputs, though BNC-RCA adapters can be purchased at Radio Shack.

Hope this helps, and is not too late to do you any good...

Descolada

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.