AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife wants a new widescreen set for the Armoire. I have almost no experience with rear projection, as all my interest is focused in the front projection forums. The armoire is about 42" horizontally, 36" vertically, and 2" deep. I "think" there are some 42" widescreen sets that would fit in this... What are the best on the market right now? Or would someone suggest another appropriate set? I dont care if it is lcd, dlp, crt. I would like to keep it under 2500, under 1700 would be better. thanks.

·
Registered
474 Posts
is that a typo? 2 inches deep? good luck if that's not a typo, i'm not sure a plasma would fit into 2inches deep.

·
Registered
474 Posts
at that pricepoint, you'll still be hardpressed to find one that will fit in there. there are some that will fit width + height but depth is too much.

whereas the ones that would fit via depth are too high. can you take out the back of the armoire? the 42inch mitsubishi would fit if you can get another 3 inches of depth. there are not that many tabletop rptv models that fit the bill.

the toshiba 42 inch is a full height one. the samsung 42 is almost a full size one. anything above 42 will be hard to fit into that space. with your space constraints, maybe a directview crt would be a better fit, it would meet your budget but you'd be looking at something around 32-36 inches...

·
Registered
384 Posts
The samsung 46" dlp would fit like a glove in your armoire and give you about 17% more screen than a 42" model. Of course, at $3400, its twice as much as what you want to spend.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Sony's 42 LCD will fit as well for a bit less than the DLP (2600). I went thru the same thing you went thru, trying to find a TV that would fit my furniture. Eventually, I got the TV I wanted and upgraded by furniture.

Botht he DLP and LCD PQ were not good enough for me to spend around 3Gs. Esp when you can get great PG for around 1500 in a CRT RPTV table top stye.

I went witht he Mits 42 inch (42-413)
http://www.mitsubishi-tv.com/2003_20.../wt_42413.html

This is to deep for your armoire (its 26 inches deep). You'll find some that are alittle shallower, but not 22 inches. SO its either spend big buck on DLp or LCD RPTV or buy a new armoire.

Here is the one I bought
http://www.storehouse.com/store/ic28...dno=24SWS1280A

so total TV and furniture purchase for me ened up being around 2300 and I am very happy with PQ.

Good luck, you can drive your self crazy with this- i sure did.

·
Registered
3,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the advice. I went to a local Tweeter fully expecting to buy the 46" DLP, and after viewing the Marantz S2 (HD2 chip) , I expected to like the Samsung. BUT, I saw rainbows all over the place. Waaay worst than the Marantz. The Marantz was bad enough that I probably wouldnt buy the S2, but I hear the S3 is much better, but the Samsung is way way worst than the S2. I was very disappointed and my wife will be also. She expected a new tv today. Oh well.... thanks again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.